Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2014, 07:53 PM   #1
harleychic
Registered Member

How does my plan sound?

I have a 5.5 gallon, some aragonite, an Aquaclear20, and 4# of really aged LR in a holding tank. I would like to add a few pounds of dry rubble, a hydor theo 25watt heater, and a lid. I also have a few lower wattage led bulbs I can use. How does this sound for a smithii (if I can find one), or a wennerae? I would add a clean up crew for snacks, of course. Would 10%-20% waterchanges weekly be enough if I used floss in the ac20 and swapped it every other day? Any help appreciated!!

harleychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2014, 10:33 PM   #2
Islandoftiki
Registered Member

Sounds like a good combination to me. Personally, I'd probably go with the largest hob filter that will fit and a media rack so you can run purigen and carbon and a little GFO. Would an AC70 fit on the tank? I ran an AC70 on a 7 gallon tank and it worked perfect.

Islandoftiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2014, 01:04 PM   #3
nmotz
Registered Member

The only thing I would add is that if you have to be careful about changing out the filter floss. Useful "nitrogenating" bacteria will grow on it and when you remove it there might be the chance of a "mini-cycle" or ammonia spike. The best advice I've seen is to just rinse off the detritus in saltwater after you do a waterchange and put it back in. Then when the floss is about to fall apart (usually after a few months), put another bunch of floss in the tank to let bacteria grow on it, then change them out after another week. That way you can preserve the beneficial bacteria colonies.

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank

Last edited by nmotz; 09/04/2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: edit content
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2014, 01:34 PM   #4
Islandoftiki
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmotz View Post
The only thing I would add is that if you have to be careful about changing out the filter floss. Useful "nitrogenating" bacteria will grow on it and when you remove it there might be the chance of a "mini-cycle" or ammonia spike. The best advice I've seen is to just rinse off the detritus in saltwater after you do a waterchange and put it back in. Then when the floss is about to fall apart (usually after a few months), put another bunch of floss in the tank to let bacteria grow on it, then change them out after another week. That way you can preserve the beneficial bacteria colonies.

This won't be a problem if changing it every three days or so, which is what I'd recommend. There won't be time for much bacteria to colonize it. Filter floss left longer will probably start to become an unwanted source of nitrates.

Unread 09/04/2014, 02:00 PM   #5
harleychic
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I haven't looked to see if an ac70 would work or not, I already have an ac20, thats why I asked about that particular model. I will find out though. Does everything else sound good?

Unread 09/04/2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Islandoftiki
Registered Member

Another thought. Although the Hydor Theo is a good heater, take a look at the Cobalt Neotherm--it's bullet proof (and mantis proof!), has a solid state thermostat that is much less likely to fail, and generally when solid state thermostats fail, they fail in the off position which is much less disastrous for your tank.

Unread 09/04/2014, 07:49 PM   #7
harleychic
Registered Member

Thanks again! The heater was definitely a concern. I will go with the cobalt neotherm!

Unread 09/12/2014, 06:40 PM   #8
harleychic
Registered Member

One more question, I almost forgot. What size pvc pipe should I use?

Unread 09/12/2014, 07:01 PM   #9
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

EDIT: NEVERMIND thought this was reguarding O. scyllarus...

But as long as the animal's legs touch both sides of the pipe evenly you should be good. N. wennerae in particular with mine out their own cavities in rock IME.

Unread 09/12/2014, 07:08 PM   #10
harleychic
Registered Member

The only smithiis I have come across for purchase are around 11/2" long. Obviously I need to set up the tank first. Did you mean to say wennaraes cut their own tunnels? I want to do pvc if I should, really want a happy mantis!