Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2007, 06:54 PM   #1
dickenscd
Registered Member

Aqua Hut

Today I stopped by a store named "Aqua Hut" in Coram, I do not know any people there and have not been the store for years.

There are quite a few fish and corals I can use, but no price labels. 2 people were working there, it was 3pm, business was slow, only one customer inside. I asked a guy named "Bill" for the prices, after walking with me for less than 30 seconds and telling me prices for 5 fish, he was mad and told me "I don't want to stand here and answer all the price questions.".

I have more than 50 people working here, but my company can go bankrupted very soon if I have couple "Bill".

Is Bill the owner?

James

p.s. The prices he quoted to me was very low comparing with the current stores such as "Fish Town USA" and "Country Critters" where I am buying from.

dickenscd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2007, 07:08 PM   #2
shyland83
Registered Member

Yeah from my experience the prices are very good and good selection, but no prices, poor customer service, and they don't answer the phone. For me thats no way to run a business so i only stop in every once in a while. and i believe the owners name is Don.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon mixed reef
shyland83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Tampa Aquarium Service
Premium Member

The owner is Don. He's been in the biz for so long it's insane. No he never answers the phone. Just go there and look around until you find what you want and them tell them to bag it. The prices are very good and they stock a ton of stuff. After they see you coming around a few times the staff will get quite friendly and actually be helpful. I used to go around closing with a 12 pack of Bud select ( Don's favorite ) Then you can really get some deals

John, Formerly of East Northport and Center Moriches

Tampa Aquarium Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2007, 07:47 PM   #4
teen
Registered Member.

they dont answer the phone because its a fax line. at least thats what don told me.

i do agree that its kinda hard to figure out prices. it would be easier if they just labeled the tanks.

teen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2007, 10:14 PM   #5
imlocke
Registered Member

I think they assume you're not looking to buy something purely on price, and you're looking to buy things you are either looking to find or see and ask about specifically? I can't seem many people going in and wanting to know the price of everything. The fish in there do go pretty quickly, they are getting fish in on friday, I asked if they were getting any firefish and he told me about a week ago when they would be getting them in.

imlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2007, 01:35 AM   #6
dickenscd
Registered Member

It’s understood that most small business owners hate those customers only asking information, chatting with their workers for hours without buying anything, but I’m not one of them.

Usually I know exactly what I need after walking into the store and browsing for 10 minutes. I rarely ask information, mostly I even bring my own buckets so that the store does not have to bag for me. My average purchase per visit is more than $350.-, and I need to buy more after completing the setup of extra 400G (total 1,300G) next week. However, I hope one day I can be rich enough and do not have to know the prices before I buy.

It’s not easy for both the customers and the store workers without labeling prices. The owner is possibly not as bad as I thought, it’s just very difficult to hire and keep good and smart workers for a small business.

James

"Do You know you spent more time touching your corals than touching me?" my wife asked.

Current Tank Info: 18 feet reef tanks + 8 feet planted tank + More after receiving permit from wife
Unread 10/18/2007, 04:10 AM   #7
apu701
Registered Member

damnnn! u could have bought my entire nano set up for 350. hehe..

i been there and u know some profanity removed right when u walk into any of these fish stores.. i forget names but i knew this one guy at aquahut with a ponytail and he was pretty nice.. kept following me around achually and even said dont hesitate to ask him..

i have to ask prices bc im not there yet.. and i cant afford a 100 for a coral.. just try ur luck with someone else.. that ponytail guy even gave me a discount.. and i didnt buy that much from him.

Last edited by DgenR8; 10/18/2007 at 02:02 PM.
apu701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2007, 04:39 AM   #8
Neurotech
Registered Member

After your first purchase or so, you will get better help. For better or worse, they get to know their customers and DO have the best prices around.Lately, they have had a much better selection too,including more sps than they used to. On my last trip, most corals, both sps and lps, were in the 50 to 65 range for full colonies. It DOES drive me crazy that prices are not posted, and that to some degree, the sales staff appear to make it up as they seem to know how much of a profit they will get on each piece. Sometimes, Don will show you around and give you prices about 5 bucks less than the sales people, but he seems to be doing that less these days as, understandably, that cuts into his salespeople's ability to earn a living. I have good experiences there 90 percent of the time, and have NEVER had a good experience at Country Critters I usually look around first and then get a salesperson to give me a "how much" tour before deciding. I have neverfelt ripped off pricewise there.

Current Tank Info: 2 54 corner tanks. 1 2X65 PC and 1 250 watt 20K MH.
Neurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2007, 05:43 AM   #9
jerl77
Moved On

never had aproblem with don ask for chris is is the best i have talked to him for hours and not buy anything.and he know what he is talking about aqua hut is still the lowest price on long island

jerl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2007, 08:21 AM   #10
OffshoreNdeep
Registered Member

James,

I agree with the others, maybe Bill was having a bad day, I am a good customer to them and 90% of the time I walk out with something, so they all know me and I get unbelievable customer service compared to other big LFS's...Their prices are unbeatable and I usually take a tour once a week on my way home from work during quiet hours and pick a few things I'm interested in and grab someone to give me prices...

Not to make excuses for your experience but IME Bill doesn't specialize in corals, but more so in plumbing and retail items unlike like Don does or the the other guys...the youngest kids usually are taking care of the tanks and will be glad to get one of the guys to give you prices...

I was also in last night and actually thought their stock was lighter than normal, I hear they are getting some more stuff in tomorrow...I recommend you give them another chance and see what results you get...

Ok, so I just proved I spend way to much time there...Good luck, hope to see you all at the meeting...

Billy

OffshoreNdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2007, 08:51 AM   #11
Spracklcat
Disaster Expert

I'm with James. I hate having to ask "what's that, how much" 8 million times. Don is nice, knows his stuff, and does recognize people after a while, but for me it's not worth it. I feel like I'm annoying them. Prices on tanks is not hard to do--everyone else manages it.

Spracklcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2007, 12:32 PM   #12
shyland83
Registered Member

I don't think i should have to prove to a retail store that i'm going to spend a lot of money before they will become helpful. And a half hour after each shipment to label all the tanks would save having to tell people prices all day. but again, you can't beat their prices. and James, they obviously didn't know who you where when they blew you off.

Unread 10/18/2007, 01:05 PM   #13
mgny
Registered Member

Never chimed in on one of these before, but i think most lfs owners lack basic business sense. It has always amazed me through the years how poorly they run their stores. Their employees are a direct reflection of themselves. I 'm sure they make some money but if they knew how to develope a customer for life they would see profits soar! They have gotten away with it to a certain degree because of the lack of competition, lfs are few and far between. Anyway hang in there James i know where you are coming from! Mike

mgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2007, 01:14 PM   #14
dickenscd
Registered Member

"Bill" is possibly just like one of my retired associate Joe, I loved Joe very much and treatd him like my buddy because I knew him well, but he ****ed off so many of our customers before they knew him.

The worker with ponytail in the store has good smile and seems friendly. He was helping another customer while I was in the store.

I have been treated fairly well in "Country Critters", the owner Jonathan sometimes even packed the fish and corals for me. I possibly need to apply the techniques which I just learned if I go back to Aqua Hut again. Just ask them pack and pay for items I point at, don't ask the prices.

James

"Do You know you spent more time touching your corals than touching me?" my wife asked.

Current Tank Info: 18 feet reef tanks + 8 feet planted tank + More after receiving permit from wife
Unread 10/18/2007, 02:04 PM   #15
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Quote:
Originally posted by apu701
damnnn! u could have bought my entire nano set up for 350. hehe..

i been there and u know some profanity removed right when u walk into any of these fish stores.. i forget names but i knew this one guy at aquahut with a ponytail and he was pretty nice.. kept following me around achually and even said dont hesitate to ask him..

i have to ask prices bc im not there yet.. and i cant afford a 100 for a coral.. just try ur luck with someone else.. that ponytail guy even gave me a discount.. and i didnt buy that much from him.

If you have to get creative with the spelling to get it to post here, that means it's not welcome here. We use filters for a reason, please do not attempt to defeat them.

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2007, 02:05 PM   #16
fishome25
Registered Member

I hate it when stores do that. If they can't take the time to label it, I'm not going to go out of my way to "bother" an employee for a price. I just don't buy it. their loss...

fishome25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2007, 03:14 PM   #17
Hogs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishome25
I hate it when stores do that. If they can't take the time to label it, I'm not going to go out of my way to "bother" an employee for a price. I just don't buy it. their loss...
They used to put prices on their stock but they turn over stock so quick that it's probally not worth the time. I always ask for prices but I don't ask on everything, just the stuff that I'm interested in. Their prices are very good. Just ask and you'll see.

Current Tank Info: 72g reef, 37g fresh, 10g QT
Hogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2007, 03:16 PM   #18
Hogs
Registered Member

Quote:
[B]Yeah from my experience the prices are very good and good selection, but no prices, poor customer service, and they don't answer the phone.
I have never ever heard the phone ring in about 10 years of going there. Not even in the old store.

Unread 10/18/2007, 03:54 PM   #19
shyland83
Registered Member

whether they don't answer the phone, or don't have a phone is irrelevant really. Most LFS i can call ahead and see if they have what i'm looking for before take the drive, i can't do it there.

Unread 10/18/2007, 04:55 PM   #20
Zoa
Registered Member

please forgive the hijack--when did Jonathon buy out Steve? Have there been any changes better or worse? I haven't been to CC in quite a while.

Can I get a home equity loan for this?
Zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2007, 07:14 PM   #21
Hogs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoa
please forgive the hijack--when did Jonathon buy out Steve? Have there been any changes better or worse? I haven't been to CC in quite a while.
As I heard in previous posts; If Jonathan is a young man, then yes, he did buy him out. I've heard that he has a bunch of young people working for him. I don't shop there (high prices) so I really don't know if it's better.

Unread 10/18/2007, 08:33 PM   #22
apu701
Registered Member

larry, didnt even think twice that word i used was a profanity. Honestly, i didnt even know the censers were that strict on that word.. weird. anyway i will watch my words

ps, i wasnt tryin to be creative with the spelling, im really that bad at it.

-Tony

apu701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2007, 01:46 PM   #23
Zoa
Registered Member

thanks Hogs...

Can I get a home equity loan for this?
Zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2007, 03:57 PM   #24
onegreenray
Registered Member

guys,

like long island andy and a bunch of us here i have been going to aqua hut since i had my fresh water tanks about ten years now.

don is the owner and very helpful. as far as bill goes he is a stand up guy. but like everyone he may of been having a bad day just like anyone else does.

they move stock fast in there, if they wasted time answering questions on the phone all day then those in the store would never get helped.

also they would be wasting all there time changing prices on tanks if they labeled them. i always have a previous knowledge before i go there of the going rates online for the fish and corals i am looking for.
if you ask bill for any special orders or something of that nature that you are looking for he will put you on an email or even take your number to let you know when it comes in.

i have also found the more you buy the more of a hook up they will do for you.

the guy with the pony tail is tony and he came over from country critters. from what he says he like it at aquahut alot better.

onegreenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2007, 04:27 PM   #25
greggnyce
Registered Member

Aquahuts prices are so low who really cares if there labeled, compared to the rest of the lfs stores on long island, I love it when the tell me how cheap something is there. usually 30 - 50% less.

Current Tank Info: 120 gl oceanic tech, 30 gallon fuge, 40 gallon sump, Itech 200 skimmer, LED Lighting . Mixed reef.
greggnyce is offline   Reply With Quote