Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2015, 07:33 PM   #26
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Skyhiggh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2016, 11:18 AM   #27
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Some new pics.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Unread 11/23/2016, 11:25 AM   #28
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Have all the growth in the world but not colors. Started dosing some more stuff on a actual schedule so let's see if that helps in few weeks or so all aquavitro products.

Thinking of adding alot more rock as all my rock is pretty over grown with zoa's and palys.. going to start adding some expensive stuff hopefully they grow just as well is the idea.

Sps wise no deaths lots of growth everything is encrusted and you can see the difference but my colors don't pop yet but let's see if the aquavitro line up helps also lowered my light.

Thinking long term now maybe adding a diy ato as well as a diy fuge in the back chambers right now just lots of filter floss big bad of chemipure elite and some nitrate and phosphate filter pads that are long over due for a change.

Let me know what u guys think

Unread 11/23/2016, 11:31 AM   #29
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Here's a FtS

Unread 11/23/2016, 11:48 AM   #30
fscmocsaj
Registered Member

Wow looks nice! I'm having the hardest time growing my zoa's and Paly's but my Kenya trees are blowing up

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 170
fscmocsaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2016, 11:57 AM   #31
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscmocsaj View Post
Wow looks nice! I'm having the hardest time growing my zoa's and Paly's but my Kenya trees are blowing up
Thanks. I feed reef roids a couple times a week witch I think has alot to do with it. Also placement at the very top I have some fairy dust zoa's that took over entire top but I have original Frag at bottom left and there is still only three. Same with palys I have green yellow and blue palys all at bottom covering rock but up top only a couple grew.

What I did was as I bought A Frag I would pull them off plugs and place a few pieces everywhere no glue or anything like that just a small little piece and stick it in rock left both power heads off for like a day and boom zoa's and palys every where.
And once a month water change
I use no mechanical filtration at all.

Unread 11/23/2016, 12:27 PM   #32
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Unread 11/23/2016, 12:46 PM   #33
fscmocsaj
Registered Member

Wow ok I'll try that. I have a rock right now that has about 30-40 zoa's on it all different kinds. I might try to get some off, relocate them and turn off the power head for a day.

Unread 11/23/2016, 12:50 PM   #34
fscmocsaj
Registered Member

So you don't run a media reactor or skimmer?

Unread 11/23/2016, 01:15 PM   #35
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow ok I'll try that. I have a rock right now that has about 30-40 zoa's on it all different kinds. I might try to get some off, relocate them and turn off the power head for a day.
Yea I would do that they will attach to the rock them selves or u could glue them down if u have glue and just try a couple in different spots and you will find your sweet spot for that type. It's what I did at least.

Down side they grew in some areas faster than I could afford to purchase different kinds. So now I need more rock for different colonies of the future. But that's a budget issue on my part.

No I don't run any mechanical filtration at all. I had a skimmer but don't use it anymore it's actually in the back yard lol to much work trying to figure it out and what not been skimmer less for about 6 months.
Never had a media reactor . I use the filter pads cut to size and stack them in each chamber with filter floss on top and bottom change out every few months. Also I use the 50 gallon bag of chemipure elite.

I have two jeabo power heads the wave maker types.

My main issue though is color that part I have not figured out but I'm hoping my new dosing regiments work .

Unread 12/01/2016, 12:01 PM   #36
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

So two fish died I'm down to one. What should I get stocking wise?

Unread 12/01/2016, 08:12 PM   #37
fscmocsaj
Registered Member

Too lazy to read thru. What fish died and how? And what do you have left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 12/02/2016, 05:35 AM   #38
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Quote:
Too lazy to read thru. What fish died and how? And what do you have left?

Only had three. A coral beauty maybe 4 months and a platinum clown maybe 8months.

I have one platinum clown left been with me since day one.

I believe because of Thanksgiving cleaning some spray got in it my mom broke the glass lid cleaning house with Grandma while here for the week. Nothing else died. And water is pretty on point nothing drastically changed. Did a 10gallon water change.
Going to order a new mesh top today I added some more rock to display going to make a fuge in back to help filter water more. Cheato and some lava rocks and mangroves.

Also ordered all the parts for a diy ato going to use a five gallon bucket and instructions from diy fishking youtube video.

Thinking of adding 4 fish when I get everything set up over next two weeks.

Unread 12/02/2016, 07:30 AM   #39
fscmocsaj
Registered Member

SkyhiggH Reef.. 30G IM Tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhiggh View Post
Only had three. A coral beauty maybe 4 months and a platinum clown maybe 8months.

I have one platinum clown left been with me since day one.

I believe because of Thanksgiving cleaning some spray got in it my mom broke the glass lid cleaning house with Grandma while here for the week. Nothing else died. And water is pretty on point nothing drastically changed. Did a 10gallon water change.
Going to order a new mesh top today I added some more rock to display going to make a fuge in back to help filter water more. Cheato and some lava rocks and mangroves.

Also ordered all the parts for a diy ato going to use a five gallon bucket and instructions from diy fishking youtube video.

Thinking of adding 4 fish when I get everything set up over next two weeks.

Oh man that's sad to hear... if you are going skimmerless I would not keep 5 fish just my opinion. I have a fusion 20 and keep 3 fish skimmerless but I do run the IM media reactor in the chamber with carbon or purigen or chemipure. I rotatate them every 2 months. With a 30 I would keep 4 fish? With 10% water change weekly. I keep 1 carnivore 1 omnivore and 1 herbivore. What fish are you thinking of adding?

Unread 12/02/2016, 08:28 AM   #40
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh man that's sad to hear... if you are going skimmerless I would not keep 5 fish just my opinion. I have a fusion 20 and keep 3 fish skimmerless but I do run the IM media reactor in the chamber with carbon or purigen or chemipure. I rotatate them every 2 months. With a 30 I would keep 4 fish? With 10% water change weekly. I keep 1 carnivore 1 omnivore and 1 herbivore. What fish are you thinking of adding?

Yea im good with the 4 fish idea in the past year having tank Ive never really stocked up with fish. Went months with the two clowns.

So what fish do u think? I know I want a purple fire fish so that leaves me with two more...

I do run chemipure elite the 50g bag change every 2months. And now setting up a fuge in back chambers. Got the cheato in there yesterday and picking up the lava rock today. I live in Miami so next Tuesday going to go and try and find some mangrove pods out in the wild.

Unread 12/02/2016, 08:36 AM   #41
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

From this morning lights just came on. Not everything open yet.
New scape
Dry base rock caused a little mini cycle unfortunately. But all is well or at least moving forward.

Unread 12/02/2016, 08:42 AM   #42
fscmocsaj
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea im good with the 4 fish idea in the past year having tank Ive never really stocked up with fish. Went months with the two clowns.

So what fish do u think? I know I want a purple fire fish so that leaves me with two more...

I do run chemipure elite the 50g bag change every 2months. And now setting up a fuge in back chambers. Got the cheato in there yesterday and picking up the lava rock today. I live in Miami so next Tuesday going to go and try and find some mangrove pods out in the wild.

Cool! So you have 1 clown right? You could do
1- clown
1- firefish
1- goby (tiger watchman, pink watchman?)
1- reef safe wrasse, cardinal, blenny, dotyback(aggressive) or go bold with a hawkish will probably attack bottom dwellers (goby and blenny) or do a dwarf lion fish. I kept one in my fusion 20 for 2 years. Sadly didn't make the move. People might not agree with the lion fish but I saved him from a local reefers tank who was just going to "throw him away".

Unread 12/02/2016, 08:44 AM   #43
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

What did u feed the lion fish?

Unread 12/02/2016, 08:47 AM   #44
fscmocsaj
Registered Member

Took about 6 months but I finally got it to frozen krill

Unread 12/02/2016, 08:49 AM   #45
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Quote:
Took about 6 months but I finally got it to frozen krill

That's sounds like work lol I'm going to check out the hawk fish. And goby's. Never seen a pink one before.

Unread 12/02/2016, 08:50 AM   #46
fscmocsaj
Registered Member

Quote:
That's sounds like work lol I'm going to check out the hawk fish. And goby's. Never seen a pink one before.

Yah I don't recommend it unless you have a lot of patience and access to live ghost shrimp. It's a pink spotted watchman goby, they are pretty cool. Maybe you can do a flame hawk or long nose hawk with a Midas blenny

Unread 12/02/2016, 09:10 AM   #47
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

Just ordered a diy mesh lid on eBay 23 bucks. Once I get the lid put together and the diy ato going will start adding more fish.

Holding off on corals for a while.

The pink spotted goby and shrimp combo I might go for nut I do have peppermint shrimp do you think would be an issue?

Unread 12/02/2016, 09:25 AM   #48
fscmocsaj
Registered Member

With a hawkfish yes he will eat it but with the goby I think you should be fine.

Unread 12/06/2016, 08:54 AM   #49
Skyhiggh
Registered Member

So just attempted my diy lost switch and a major fail I could not figure out how to wire 12v DC adapter correctly. Think my power source was to weak so I said let me try running it str8 from pump and boooooooom scared the life outta me I don't know how I tank house anything survived.... Think I'm going to try again and order another float switch since it's only three bucks. And take with me to home depot and see if someone can help me out. . If not I'll just have to save up a 100 bucks for one unfortunately..

Unread 12/06/2016, 06:09 PM   #50
jmcdaniel0
Registered Member

I use the Tunze Nano, I highly recommend it.

jmcdaniel0 is offline   Reply With Quote