I asked because it was said the frag didn't like growing over the plug edges

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

j_mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2017, 03:02 PM   #77
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_mazzy View Post
smaller the plug faster the vertical growth?
No that is essentially what I did my two colonies That Grew faster and larger we're on two inch flat plugs. The one that is still encrusted but shooting out arms all on the base is on a half inch plug.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 10:49 AM   #78
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

The good news is that 'new' variants for $350 will be $50 in a year or two after folks grow them out. Though I've paid early adopter pricing on a couple of occasions, usually I can wait. If in a picture the plug and sand looks blue, chances are you're going to be disappointed

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 11:45 PM   #79
Gmerek2
Registered Member

Honest colors and growth update on mine. I did frag it once and had water quality slow down the growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gmerek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2017, 03:01 AM   #80
bshow24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmerek2 View Post

Honest colors and growth update on mine. I did frag it once and had water quality slow down the growth.

I'm in the same boat for the growth...my tank hasn't been too pretty but hoping I've got it fixed.

Looks like it's trying to color up though. And I'm sure it glows in the blue lights. I'm also pretty sure my picture and Pife's picture are honest too...we just so happen to capture the colors in blue lights. It's not always daylight!

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2017, 07:12 AM   #81
Piper27
I love bengals

Yay daylight pictures!!! Thank you gmerek2! Beautiful colors on the body of that piece. I can't wait til someone will trade me for one, I can't spend that much on a piece.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 01:26 PM   #82
Gmerek2
Registered Member

Same coral same day.

Unread 02/13/2017, 10:18 AM   #83
bshow24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmerek2 View Post

Same coral same day.

That's awesome coloration! See it's a beautiful piece

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
Unread 02/16/2017, 12:26 PM   #84
maxwell
Registered Member

Hi
Can anyone help me out about WD corals , are they from Australia or Bali , I have previously bought one which was nothing like .This is a coral pic thats being sold today by mail order as Bali WD.Is it or is it not ,are there variations ,is it worth buying. 250 to 400 euros.
thanks Bill

maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 02:42 PM   #85
Piper27
I love bengals

There are a lot of acros coming from Bali that have a few color combinations. The trick is finding one that keeps them all once growing in an aquarium. Normally the body will stay one color and the polyps another. I got one that has orange polyps on the tips and yellow Coralites with a green base color and blue on the underside of the coral it's where light doesn't hit directly. I love it. I love the Bali tenuis coming in now, there are so many color variations but what you want to pay for it is up to you. I am not sure which area the WD From came from but I would assume it was an Indo piece. Lots of other nice tenuis just waiting to be hyped up that's for sure

Unread 02/17/2017, 01:07 PM   #86
bshow24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
Hi
Can anyone help me out about WD corals , are they from Australia or Bali , I have previously bought one which was nothing like .This is a coral pic thats being sold today by mail order as Bali WD.Is it or is it not ,are there variations ,is it worth buying. 250 to 400 euros.
thanks Bill

Like Piper said, so many Tenuis of different color variations are showing up and really, it's about finding one you like. The one you have in the picture hasn't colored up completely, but based on the growth patterns I've seen on my own and several other WD, I would say this is going to look a bit different. If you're willing to drop the money on a real frag, I would find a reefer or trusted store to purchase. Everyone wants to make money off the next big thing, so you have to be careful!

Unread 02/17/2017, 01:42 PM   #87
maxwell
Registered Member

bshow 24
I agree the only issue is that there are none like yours available in the EU or UK so its take a punt on getting something with similar colouration the last one I bought was just a blue tenuis described as a WD and another not even a tenuis,
Bill

maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 08:15 AM   #88
Piper27
I love bengals

Haha, that's funny. In my experience the ones with pink or purple as the main base color don't end up with that much contrast in the end. Most will loose any highlights on the Coralites but that doesn't mean all will. Try and find one with blue yellow orange green or pink combinations. They always end up keeping most of the colors. I wish there was a thread for the different variations of the tenuis coming from the I do area so we could learn which ones people have had success keeping colored well and which color variations there are.

Unread 02/19/2017, 06:20 PM   #89
Gmerek2
Registered Member

I tried the same thing as you but failed and bought a piece from trusted source. But The problem is vendors like calling some wild ones WD because it boosts price by $100. But you have to remember that no one has this but people with lineage because where it is harvested is only accessible by helicopter then submarine and then down a deep cave with sharks is where the WDs live.

Unread 02/19/2017, 08:03 PM   #90
Piper27
I love bengals

Hahaha! Nice one. It is really hard to pick through all these tenuis when vendors and even wholesalers take pictures with LEDs and filters and PS them to make them even more saturated. This brings out flourescense that you don't see under any kind of decent lighting and a lot of the time the coral will only be one or two colors :/

Unread 02/20/2017, 11:38 AM   #91
Redfish1980
Registered Member

Are dealers providing proof of lineage on some of these corals? I see everything with the JF or Tyree or ORA name but no way to verify. Is that just based on trust with the vendor?

Redfish1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 12:15 PM   #92
Scythanith
Premium Member

Yup Redfish, it's pretty much trust in lineage unless you're buying it straight from the source.

Unread 04/21/2017, 01:40 PM   #93
SawCJack00
Professional Mind Reader

I'm getting mine straight from the source.

My build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670607

Don't forget your towel!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
SawCJack00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 11:47 PM   #94
Mr V
Registered Member

Walt Disney Acro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post

Here mine high under 2 radion G3 pro (70%) and 4 t5s. (45gallons tank)

I just got mine last week.

Been over a year since I got it. (Countless of frags gone.)

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 09:22 AM   #95
shred5
Registered Member

MR V it looks good.

Unread 08/12/2017, 06:49 PM   #96
Mr V
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
MR V it looks good.

It's even getting better now.

Unread 08/12/2017, 08:43 PM   #97
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

This might be coral that make people start to see that blue-only pics are fools gold, or perhaps there is not a better example. I have a whole handful of acros that look better than WD with nothing but blues on them. I have never seen one under full lighting that is not boring - they look a lot like the photo by Gmerek2 above.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2017, 09:09 PM   #98
Mr V
Registered Member

Walt Disney Acro

Peace out ✌️ ✌️

Zoomed:

Last edited by Mr V; 08/12/2017 at 10:38 PM.
Unread 08/12/2017, 09:25 PM   #99
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I have seen a 6" colony under 20K Radiums with some kessils on there for some "pop," but they do no pop anything much. Boring. The guy cannot even sell frags for $100 anymore.

I would have to see yours in person to decide - those photos are way bluer than 20K, but taking photos is hard and I cannot really bash anybody since I am no good at it either. I would need to see some pure white sand to really tell in a photo.

Under blues only, I have a Westside Tort that is pure yellow like Big Bird - the kind of yellow that everybody dreams of. I also have a Red Granulosa that is red as a fire engine... not pinkish or kind-of-red like most "red" acros, but true pure red. Both are Glamor Shots and not real.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 12:21 AM   #100
wheelman76
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
I have seen a 6" colony under 20K Radiums with some kessils on there for some "pop," but they do no pop anything much. Boring. The guy cannot even sell frags for $100 anymore.

I would have to see yours in person to decide - those photos are way bluer than 20K, but taking photos is hard and I cannot really bash anybody since I am no good at it either. I would need to see some pure white sand to really tell in a photo.

Under blues only, I have a Westside Tort that is pure yellow like Big Bird - the kind of yellow that everybody dreams of. I also have a Red Granulosa that is red as a fire engine... not pinkish or kind-of-red like most "red" acros, but true pure red. Both are Glamor Shots and not real.
Let's see them !!