Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2017, 11:10 AM   #1
gREEF stricken
Registered Member

Some eel help...

Have a gold Dwarf Moray deeply entrenched in a GIANT centerpiece of LR. Any suggestions on safest way to get him out? He's going to a new home but the guy doesn't want the rock.

Thanks

GS

gREEF stricken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2017, 03:18 PM   #2
Sounds Fishy
Registered Member

It sounds like the eel is not stuck but hiding from being caught.If that is the correct scenario,and , due to impatience,you cannot wait for the eel to come out on it's own,(1) you can do ask the person you are dealing with to come back in 24 hours.Then later,when the eel leaves the rock,remove the rock and then you are home free catching the eel.
(2) give the rock with the eel in it to the person,if they cannot wait till tomorrow ,and ask for the rock back after the eel has come out.

Unread 06/10/2017, 04:56 PM   #3
gREEF stricken
Registered Member

OK, sorry I didn't make it more clear. He has lived inside this rock for all two years I have owned him. It is his home, it is three times the size of a bowling ball and weighs about 65 pounds. I have never seen him tip to tail since the day I released him.

GS

Unread 06/11/2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Mr. Eel
Best eel owner in the US

Maybe get a few people together and lift the rock, because eels are basically impossible to net or catch other ways..

Current Tank Info: 125 gal reef tank 50gal Fo 50 gal Mixed reef
Mr. Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 09:31 AM   #5
hotelbravo
Registered Member

WOW.. he has been THAT reclusive for that long?

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon, 40b sump. 3x OR T247 lighting, Reef Octopus protein skimmer, phosban 550 reactor, tunze ato, gyre xf 150, 2x mag 9.5 returns.
hotelbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 06:23 PM   #6
gREEF stricken
Registered Member

Correct. He has been ULTRA shy since the day I got him. I bought him directly from a diver/collector in HI. With all the pumps off I can coax him about 1/3 way out to grab cubes of food from my tweezers.

GS

Unread 06/11/2017, 07:05 PM   #7
Mr. Eel
Best eel owner in the US

Wow you have a shy eel even mine will happily come out entirley for food even if he doesnt come out of the rocks without incentive. Your best bet is to take out the rock.

Current Tank Info: 125 gal reef tank 50gal Fo 50 gal Mixed reef
Mr. Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 07:12 PM   #8
gREEF stricken
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Eel View Post
Wow you have a shy eel even mine will happily come out entirley for food even if he doesnt come out of the rocks without incentive. Your best bet is to take out the rock.
I have filled a tote with tank water and held the rock over the tote for 60-90 secs but he just stays up inside...nother friend suggested same temp and Ph freshwater dip the rock. Just don't wanna hurt him.

GS

Unread 06/12/2017, 03:38 PM   #9
Sounds Fishy
Registered Member

Is this rehoming your eel,as a result of you,planning to tear down your aquarium? Why don't you just keep it?Sounds as if you hardly have to worry about it,since it is so reclusive.Don't try and dislodge it from the rock.Remember,we are custodians of these creatures,and shouldn't subject them to abuse.
Sell the eel with the rock,and if the people can't understand,then perhaps,you should rethink whom your rehoming your eel to.

Unread 06/12/2017, 03:42 PM   #10
gREEF stricken
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Fishy View Post
Is this rehoming your eel,as a result of you,planning to tear down your aquarium? Why don't you just keep it?Sounds as if you hardly have to worry about it,since it is so reclusive.Don't try and dislodge it from the rock.Remember,we are custodians of these creatures,and shouldn't subject them to abuse.
Sell the eel with the rock,and if the people can't understand,then perhaps,you should rethink whom your rehoming your eel to.
Well everything you said made sense, I must also informed that the gentleman who has finally come through with what I have asked for just the eagle which is about 35% less than I paid for him including shipping, is in the industry, and does custom aquariums for high-end clientele and has nearly 20 running marine tanks of his own simply has more rock than he already needs and as I choose not to simply give away a piece I paid over $200 for he really would prefer to take home only the eel. So, while I get your overall intent in regard to your average Joe not being willing to do what it takes to rehome a beautiful creature, the guy already has 3.5K # of rock in his collection and simply does not want another giant centerpiece

GS

And yes, my plan is to tear down all three of my big displays and reconfigure to go back to freshwater.

Unread 06/13/2017, 07:35 AM   #11
Sounds Fishy
Registered Member

A year ago I was in a similar situation,moving.I had a LFS tear down my reef,last year and move everything(except350lb. LR, coral,fish)to my new place,60 miles away.I wasn't able to rebuild right away,because the floor required reinforcing.Basically,they moved my system ,I gave them my livestock and LR,which was substantial.I lost on the deal,but at least I knew they were going to good homes,and it relieved a lot of stress on my part,because time was a big factor on moving day.The LFS did a good job,too.The loss of some of my nicer LR centre pieces,which are irreplaceable ,are in some other reef now,with the livestock,so someone else can enjoy them,in some dentist office aquarium.
Now I have a predator tank. I just wondered if your area LFS would take the eel and LR.... It sounds like a very impressive eel.

Last edited by Sounds Fishy; 06/13/2017 at 07:48 AM.
Sounds Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 07:52 AM   #12
webslinger
Friendly Neighborhood

sounds like a chisel and hammer is needed. My dwarf lives in a rock the size softball and i'd never be able to get him out without selling the rock.

webslinger is offline   Reply With Quote