Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/30/2016, 08:18 AM   #1
Mightyfish
Registered Member

What are the advantages of 9012 DC pump over AC pump?

Hi Roger

I have bought two of the original model of 9012 when it is first released and it has not been easy using it. Micro bubbles is constant problem or nothing is skimmed after a few days perhaps air tube is tightened too much. Impeller have also broken into half 5 times now.

What are the advantages of dc pump? Would it solve all the problems? If it would then i will buy a new one.

Mightyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 08:59 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The impeller issue was solved 02/16, any impeller made since should not break.

If the bubbles come from the sides a part is misaligned or defective.

If the bubbles come from the bottom or top the air or depth is wrong, air should be close to fully open, adjust depth first, closing the air will result in more micro bubbles as the water flow increases proportionally.

The DC model won't have any of these issues, primarily because it is newer so the impeller and body issues were solved before it became available. The main advantage for bubbles from the top and bottom is you don't have an air adjustment instead the pump speed is turned down as needed so the water flow cannot be high when the air flow is low, the ratio of air to water largely stays constant. Despite the better adjustment, the DC model is not without its drawbacks, DC pumps don't last as long, with good care a good AC pump should last a decade or more with just impeller replacements every 3-5 years as they wear. The DC pump has electronics which can fail, 5 years is a more typical life span. You also have a power supply and controller which can get wet.

There is no reason the issues with your 9012 cannot be resolved.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 02:15 PM   #3
Mightyfish
Registered Member

Thanks Roger. The DC pump version sounds like what i want which is the pump adjusts to a constant water flow and air supply by itself. 5 years lifespan doesnt worry me. I read somewhere that now 9012 can have extension tube to disperse skimmate to a larger cup for holiday purpose. Does this DC version have this new feature too? Is it available to buy in Australia now?

Unread 06/30/2016, 02:23 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The skimmer cup holiday is an optional accessory for either model. They are available now but I am not sure of stock in Australia.

https://www.tunze.com/US/en/products...id%5D=9012.145

Just so you know, it would be possible to get just the DC pump for yours, that is really the only difference. The body did change a little during last year to make it easier and more fool proof to line things up and reassemble, as well as to make them ship better so the pump can't come loose and break parts inside. You may already have many of those changes though.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 06/30/2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Mightyfish
Registered Member

Can i buy just the DC pump? Is it easy to swap current AC pump? The two i own bought in Dec 2014 and July 2015 which i think they are both the original design and it is very difficult to open and reassemble it. I think i may have to bite the bullet and buy the latest DC model. Is it available in Australia now?

Unread 06/30/2016, 04:02 PM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The skimmer should be, we have had them since the beginning of the year. I would really see about warranty on any body issues and look into just the pump, I don't have pump only here yet, but it would be an option. The pump will be an available spare part.

Unread 06/30/2016, 05:03 PM   #7
Mightyfish
Registered Member

Thanks Roger. Do you when will be the dc pump available to be sold as spare part in Australia?

Unread 07/01/2016, 08:33 AM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I would believe so but I have no oversight on the Australian market, it is listed as a spare part and we generally assume some users will want to change to the DC pump. I have not ordered them in yet here but I plan to next week. Please note the link is for the US.

https://www.tunze.com/US/en/products...id%5D=9012.041

Unread 11/17/2018, 05:15 AM   #9
trelopoulos
Registered Member

Hello so is it confirmed that there is no microbubble issue with the dc version?

trelopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2018, 10:34 AM   #10
rvitko
RC Sponsor

There should not be with either version once it is broken in, if it is properly installed. The DC version is more flexible only because the installation can be less than ideal (too deep due to a brace etc) and the pump can be turned down to compensate.