Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 02/01/2019, 09:36 AM   #501
m0jjen
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Your fish load isn't all that high for that skimmer and the Clarisea is removing solids before they become dissolved which the skimmer would use to generate the foam head. between the relatively light load for the skimmer size and the clarisea, there isn't going to all that much dissolved organics for that skimmer to keep a good foam head. I would suggest running the skimmer at 10" and maybe bump the pump to 32 watts if closing the wedge pipe more than 1/2 way is needed to get the line where bubbles turn to foam is up to the base of the neck if not a little bit higher. Cleaning the pump might help but it's hard to say as I don't know how clean your pump is to begin with.
Unfortinatly it wont make much of a difference. When opening the wedge i get this:



10" deep
1/2 open
32w

Any suggestions?


m0jjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2019, 09:41 AM   #502
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0jjen View Post
Unfortinatly it wont make much of a difference. When opening the wedge i get this:

10" deep
1/2 open
32w

Any suggestions?
You are closing the wedge pipe to raise the level inside the skimmer. You may need to close it more. Still, you also need to give it time to settle in after making those adjustments. Without enough dissolved organics in the system, the skimmer will not be able to build good foam. Instead it just makes bubbles that burst at the surface instead of thicker foam. I would give it a day. You can try closing the wedge pipe a bit more or increasing the sump depth or increasing the wattage. It would also be worth taking the pump apart and doing a deep cleaning on it. Make sure there isn't any salt build up in the nozzles venturi port where the hose connects to the pump. Make sure the ozone port on the skimmer pump is capped off as well so it's not sucking water in through the 2nd venturi port (ozone port). Either way, your definitely lacking on dissolved organics.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2019, 10:23 AM   #503
m0jjen
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
You are closing the wedge pipe to raise the level inside the skimmer. You may need to close it more. Still, you also need to give it time to settle in after making those adjustments. Without enough dissolved organics in the system, the skimmer will not be able to build good foam. Instead it just makes bubbles that burst at the surface instead of thicker foam. I would give it a day. You can try closing the wedge pipe a bit more or increasing the sump depth or increasing the wattage. It would also be worth taking the pump apart and doing a deep cleaning on it. Make sure there isn't any salt build up in the nozzles venturi port where the hose connects to the pump. Make sure the ozone port on the skimmer pump is capped off as well so it's not sucking water in through the 2nd venturi port (ozone port). Either way, your definitely lacking on dissolved organics.
Was salt buildup in the venturi instantly started skimming at 32w halfway at 9" after cleaning


m0jjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2019, 09:58 PM   #504
broadwave
Registered Member
 
broadwave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: At home
Posts: 123
So I've had my Double Cone 200 on my 190 gallon display reef (225 gal total volume) running for about a week... and it's produced some really gross smelling skimmate even running wide open at at 50 watts.

After reading this thread, I'm now running at 30 Watts, 1/2 closed and in 8" of water. bubbles breaking right at bottom of skimmer cup connection.

Will let it run over the weekend and post results at some point next week after the new setting has run a few days.

For fish, I have the following...

Large Blond Naso
(2) large purple tangs ... yes they get along.
(4) 3 stripe damsels
(4) Fiji Blue devils
Fairy Wrasse
(2) true Percula clowns
Flame Angel
Aptaisia File Fish


__________________
//Broadwave

http://www.broadwavesreef.com/
broadwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2019, 08:38 AM   #505
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwave View Post
So I've had my Double Cone 200 on my 190 gallon display reef (225 gal total volume) running for about a week... and it's produced some really gross smelling skimmate even running wide open at at 50 watts.

After reading this thread, I'm now running at 30 Watts, 1/2 closed and in 8" of water. bubbles breaking right at bottom of skimmer cup connection.

Will let it run over the weekend and post results at some point next week after the new setting has run a few days.

For fish, I have the following...

Large Blond Naso
(2) large purple tangs ... yes they get along.
(4) 3 stripe damsels
(4) Fiji Blue devils
Fairy Wrasse
(2) true Percula clowns
Flame Angel
Aptaisia File Fish
30w is better. 50w reduces contact time substantially and creates more turbulence. Contact time is important as it will result in more dense foam and better skimming efficiency. We don’t even run 50w in the 250 sized skimmers. Your load is relatively light for that skimmer so the skimmate output will likely taper off a bit once the skimmer catches up at which point you will likely want to raise the level inside the skimmer a tad to wetten the skim up for better consistency. Raising the sump depth to 8.5” will help with tuning from wet to dry so you don’t have to close the wedge pipe to much. It will also be less sensitive to wedge pipe adjustments with the sump depth a bit higher. Especially at your lighter load. Having it less sensitive will make it eaier to do subtle adjustments via the wedge.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2019, 05:42 AM   #506
BAJA272
Premium Member
 
BAJA272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: southwest Fl
Posts: 387
Im not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, My supermarin 250 pump (speedy RD3 50) pump controller will not turn on. The controller started to take longer to light up after plugging in for about two months now. The electrical outlet is fine and there is no blockages and the impeller turns freely. do you have any suggestions?


__________________
380 Oceanic Reef with Royal Exclusiv stuff

Current Tank Info: 380 gallon reef, Supported by Deltec Equipment
BAJA272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2019, 05:48 AM   #507
BAJA272
Premium Member
 
BAJA272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: southwest Fl
Posts: 387
By the way, I live in the Ft. Myers area.


__________________
380 Oceanic Reef with Royal Exclusiv stuff

Current Tank Info: 380 gallon reef, Supported by Deltec Equipment
BAJA272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2019, 07:32 AM   #508
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJA272 View Post
Im not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, My supermarin 250 pump (speedy RD3 50) pump controller will not turn on. The controller started to take longer to light up after plugging in for about two months now. The electrical outlet is fine and there is no blockages and the impeller turns freely. do you have any suggestions?
PM sent.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2019, 07:51 AM   #509
BAJA272
Premium Member
 
BAJA272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: southwest Fl
Posts: 387
PM responded to.


BAJA272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2019, 06:44 AM   #510
longsunnosea
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Hi all ,
I have a 100L-110L LPS tank with 12 small fish.
Is dc130 a good choice?


longsunnosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2019, 07:49 AM   #511
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by longsunnosea View Post
Hi all ,
I have a 100L-110L LPS tank with 12 small fish.
Is dc130 a good choice?
You display is on the small side for that skimmer but you could do the DC 130. You just might need to run it wet for best consistency.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 05/07/2019 at 08:00 AM.
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2019, 10:07 PM   #512
longsunnosea
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Today , I first time open the resonator of bk160 .
Is it normal ?



longsunnosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2019, 10:43 PM   #513
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by longsunnosea View Post
Today , I first time open the resonator of bk160 .
Is it normal ?

Don’t know what that is in there but you should definitely remove it as it’s obstructing the air intake.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/27/2019, 05:37 PM   #514
Jeezy85
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Hi all,

Just recently purchased a bubble king mini 200 vs13 model..

It is currently breaking in but I have ran into a little annoying problem.

Where the skimmer head sits onto the skimmer, every few mins water is dripping out down the side of the skimmer into the sump and makes an annoying dripping nose.

I have checked the o-ring on the skimmer head it appears fine... any suggestions please?


Jeezy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/27/2019, 06:58 PM   #515
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy85 View Post
Hi all,

Just recently purchased a bubble king mini 200 vs13 model..

It is currently breaking in but I have ran into a little annoying problem.

Where the skimmer head sits onto the skimmer, every few mins water is dripping out down the side of the skimmer into the sump and makes an annoying dripping nose.

I have checked the o-ring on the skimmer head it appears fine... any suggestions please?
You need to lower the level inside the skimmer. The line where bubbles turn to foam (break line) should be about 1” below the white collar that the collection cup sits on. You should also put some silicone grease on the o-ring between the body and the collection cup. Also, with that skimmer, you will want to run the pump between 26 and 32 watts.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/27/2019, 08:50 PM   #516
Jeezy85
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
You need to lower the level inside the skimmer. The line where bubbles turn to foam (break line) should be about 1Ē below the white collar that the collection cup sits on. You should also put some silicone grease on the o-ring between the body and the collection cup. Also, with that skimmer, you will want to run the pump between 26 and 32 watts.
Thanks for the reply.

I will lower the water level to 1inch below the cup. I feel like the foam will never overflow into the cup if I will lower it.. is this part of the breaking that will eventually overflow into the cup?

The skimmer is sitting around 8inches into the water


Jeezy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/27/2019, 09:13 PM   #517
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy85 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I will lower the water level to 1inch below the cup. I feel like the foam will never overflow into the cup if I will lower it.. is this part of the breaking that will eventually overflow into the cup?

The skimmer is sitting around 8inches into the water
If the skimmer is properly sized for your display and load, the foam will get up there. You can raise it a bit more if you need but donít raise the break line above the bottom of the white base that the cup sits on your you will get a drip. If this skimmer is oversized for your display or load, you are likely to see some inconsistency. Our skimmers are conservatively rated and oversizing them relative to the display size and load will result in some inconsistency. Keep in mind that protein skimmers require dissolved organics (proteins/DOCís) to make foam. Itís those DOCís that allow the bubbles to stick together. The larger the skimmer, the larger the neck volume and the more DOCís required to keep the neck consistently filled with foam. If you donít have enough DOCís, the skimmer will skim well for a day or two as it reduces the DOCís and then idle along until the DOCís build back up enough to allow the neck to fill with foam. Our skimmer sizing assumes that at the low end of the sizing range, you will have a heavy load. A heavy load is about 1/2Ē of fish per display gallon. In the case of the Mini 200, I wouldnít recommend it for anything under a heavily stocked 150 gallon display. So if youíre running it on a smaller display or a lightly stocked system, youíre going to see some inconsistency unless you run the water well up into the neck and deal with some seepage which I donít recommend because the skimmer will be much more sensitive and prone to overflows.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/27/2019, 09:55 PM   #518
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy85 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I will lower the water level to 1inch below the cup. I feel like the foam will never overflow into the cup if I will lower it.. is this part of the breaking that will eventually overflow into the cup?

The skimmer is sitting around 8inches into the water
And breaking in will take up to a week during which time, the skimmer will build a better foam head but the skimmer will only produce skimmate based on the load in the tank so if you donít have many fish, youíre not going to see much skimmate overflowing into the collection cup.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2019, 10:20 AM   #519
nly04
Registered Member
 
nly04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Union City, SF bay area
Posts: 961
How many generation of the BK mini 200 skimmers out there?
how to tell the difference?

Planning to pick up one for my 150gal DT and 70gal sump. Total about 180gal of water. Planning to put about 6-8 fish.
If not what other skimmer will fit best? Skimmer area available is 24"x12".
Any feedback and recommend are appreciate.


nly04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2019, 10:27 AM   #520
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by nly04 View Post
How many generation of the BK mini 200 skimmers out there?
how to tell the difference?

Planning to pick up one for my 150gal DT and 70gal sump. Total about 180gal of water. Planning to put about 6-8 fish.
If not what other skimmer will fit best? Skimmer area available is 24"x12".
Any feedback and recommend are appreciate.
There are 3 generations of the Mini 200. The latest version has the RD3. The version before that had the Red Dragon pump with AKB. The version before that had the Red Dragoon pump without AKB. The AKB is the antilime bypass and it can be identifed by the red tube that connects from the pressure side of the pump to the back side of the motor. This is the version with the AKB.
https://royalexclusiv.com/Skimmer/Bu...VS12::363.html

Given that you will only have 6-8 fish, that is a very light load. The largest I'd recommend would be the Mini 180 but with that low of a load, you could go with a Mini 160 and be just fine unless you plan on really increasing the fish load.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2019, 10:38 AM   #521
nly04
Registered Member
 
nly04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Union City, SF bay area
Posts: 961
For bio load, I can add more fish in with out problem. Is the skimmer body of this mini 200 the same? And are those Red dragon, AKB and RD3 pump will interchange able with the same body on the mini200?


nly04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2019, 10:42 AM   #522
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by nly04 View Post
For bio load, I can add more fish in with out problem. Is the skimmer body of this mini 200 the same? And are those Red dragon, AKB and RD3 pump will interchange able with the same body on the mini200?
The bodies are very similar however the base and bubble plate is different on the version with the RD3 so you cannot upgrade to the RD3 if you have the older models. As for load, you will need to add a LOT more fish for the 200 to make sense. I would still recommend the Mini 180 over the 200 with a 150 gallon display. Our skimmers are very conservatively rated and you want your skimmer to be consistent. If you go over sized relative to the load, you will end up with an inconsistent skimmer. Sometimes, "less is more".


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2019, 10:51 AM   #523
nly04
Registered Member
 
nly04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Union City, SF bay area
Posts: 961
Great. Really appreciate for your info. By the way, Do you sale factory refurbish skimmer like the way ATI selling their refurbish light? If yes, please pm me. thx


nly04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2019, 10:52 AM   #524
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by nly04 View Post
Great. Really appreciate for your info. By the way, Do you sale factory refurbish skimmer like the way ATI selling their refurbish light? If yes, please pm me. thx
No factory refurbs. Skimmers go out as fast as they come in and never get returned. FWIW, we are releasing a new controllable version of the Mini 160 and Mini 180.
This is the new Controllable Mini 160. The new Mini 180 will follow soon.
https://royalexclusiv.com/Skimmer/Sk...-12V::976.html


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/2019, 11:19 AM   #525
nly04
Registered Member
 
nly04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Union City, SF bay area
Posts: 961
I got a seen like Gen1 mini200 with the Red Dragon Mini Skimmer pump 1000. Spec for air intake only draw 1000l/h. Is it right? See picture.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0402FCA6-8E25-40B4-998A-A1A72D4A7490.jpg (30.8 KB, 5 views)
nly04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.