Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2016, 09:31 AM   #1
djgarryb
Registered Member

Triggers in Reef Systems

A little back ground, I work in a Fish Store and have had tanks for years most of them are nanos. I am getting ready to set up a 75 and deciding what fish to put in there. Has anyone had any luck keeping triggers in tanks with corals, i have a theory that if you get them small and keep them well fed they wont mess with coral or any other fish i put in there. I also realize that i will have to rehome them as they out grow my tank. Again not an issue since i work at a store. Just thought i would get some people thoughts on this. Thanks.

djgarryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2016, 09:41 AM   #2
Kt8
Registered Member

Have kept a blue throats without any problems. Have mainly lps with a couple of softies.

Kt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2016, 03:44 PM   #3
anthonys51
Registered Member.

The best triggerfish for the reef aquarium belong to the genera Melichthys, Odonus, and Xanthichthys. Of those three genera, the latter is the very best for the reef aquarium—this includes the bluechin (X. auromarginatus), the crosshatch (X. mento), and the sargassum triggerfish (X. ringens). The niger triggerfish (Odonus niger) is more likely to hunt down motile invertebrates and may occasionally eat sessile invertebrates like sponges. The triggers in the genus Melichthys—including the Indian (M. indicus), black (M. niger), and pinktail triggerfish (M. vidua)¬—feed heavily on floating algae and thus usually behave well with sessile invertebrates. While those species usually do well with corals, they may occasionally decide to dispatch a crustacean here or there, especially if the latter are introduced after the trigger is already in the tank.

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2016, 08:23 PM   #4
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys51 View Post
The best triggerfish for the reef aquarium belong to the genera Melichthys, Odonus, and Xanthichthys. Of those three genera, the latter is the very best for the reef aquarium—this includes the bluechin (X. auromarginatus), the crosshatch (X. mento), and the sargassum triggerfish (X. ringens). The niger triggerfish (Odonus niger) is more likely to hunt down motile invertebrates and may occasionally eat sessile invertebrates like sponges. The triggers in the genus Melichthys—including the Indian (M. indicus), black (M. niger), and pinktail triggerfish (M. vidua)¬—feed heavily on floating algae and thus usually behave well with sessile invertebrates. While those species usually do well with corals, they may occasionally decide to dispatch a crustacean here or there, especially if the latter are introduced after the trigger is already in the tank.
Perfect response. I wholeheartedly agree.

You're going to see a decline in your invert population, but honestly, for a trigger, it's worth it

How big is your tank? I wouldn't put a trigger in anything less than a 125, and that's really only for a Bluejaw (Xanthichthys Auromarginatus). Anything else you'll need a 180+

Edit: Whoops, just saw you have a 75. I highly highly recommend not putting a trigger in there.

Unread 10/15/2016, 08:30 PM   #5
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTang View Post
Perfect response. I wholeheartedly agree.

You're going to see a decline in your invert population, but honestly, for a trigger, it's worth it

How big is your tank? I wouldn't put a trigger in anything less than a 125, and that's really only for a Bluejaw (Xanthichthys Auromarginatus). Anything else you'll need a 180+

Edit: Whoops, just saw you have a 75. I highly highly recommend not putting a trigger in there.

Thanks. Did have to look up the spelling on some of the named though. You can keep a trigger in a 75 if it's the only fish in the tank. I kept a clown in a 75 for yeArs. But it wasn't a reef tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2016, 08:32 PM   #6
Darryl Hey
Registered Member

niger triggers

Darryl Hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2016, 08:55 PM   #7
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys51 View Post
Thanks. Did have to look up the spelling on some of the named though. You can keep a trigger in a 75 if it's the only fish in the tank. I kept a clown in a 75 for yeArs. But it wasn't a reef tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mmm.. I disagree. As a growout tank? Sure. But just having the 75 as your only option will just lead to failure.

Unread 10/16/2016, 06:22 PM   #8
Buzz1329
Premium Member

Aside from just wanting to keep a trigger fish (which I completely understand), is there any advantage to keeping one in reef tank? Do they perform any useful functions (like eradicating pests, etc.)?

Mike

Last edited by Buzz1329; 10/16/2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Buzz1329 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, reef, trigger