Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2016, 06:27 PM   #1
torresj9
Registered Member

New to the hobby. 35 gallon saltwater tank.

Hello.. i just need some help/advice. i recently bought a 35 gallon tank and i decided to start a reef tank. YES, i know it can be quite expensive and its okay since I'm deciding on taking my time and not buy everything at once. The tank i bought it came with 100w heater(aqueon), canister filter(fluval 150), and powerhead(aqueon). I was thinking of adding a skimmer and ive done some research and read somewhere that a tank my size don't "really" need a skimmer as long i do 25%-30% water changes weekly. i also found out that my main filtration would be my live rock, but if y'all could give me any tips on what would be a good filter since I'm thinking of changing it. also what would be good recommendations for skimmers,lighting,live rock etc.... and do i need a sump for my size. THANK YOU!!

torresj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2016, 06:34 PM   #2
Monte26
Registered Member

Lighting depends on how much you want to spend. I love my Kessil LED fixture, but it was expensive. I don't run a skimmer on my 20 long, so I won't suggest a brand. As far as rock goes, I went with bulk reef supply dry rock and am quite happy. You get wayyyy more for your money since you're not paying for water weight. Plus, it is cheap to begin with and you won't be introducing any pests. I would suggest drilling your tank if it's not tempered glass and using a sump, but that's my opinion. You can certainly have a successful tank without one.

Unread 02/02/2016, 06:50 PM   #3
gone fishin
Registered Member

IMO your stocking will dictate equipment. A fowlr can get by with stock lights. If you want to get into coral then better lighting is needed with SPS coral needing more intense lighting set ups.

As far as skimmers I think you can get away with out one if you want to do regular weekly WC's but a skimmer would be an asset especially if you get into corals. I am not really up on skimmers for smaller tanks anymore. But I would stay away from coralife skimmers.

I would suggest looking into a different powerhead. If budget is a concern look into hydors.

Browse Bulk reef supply for equipment and ask for opinions. If you can decide what exactly you would like to stock fish and coral wise, then folks can give better opinions. Good luck and welcome to the forum

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2016, 06:54 PM   #4
gone fishin
Registered Member

forgot to mention there is a great sticky at the top of the forum called "setting up" that should help you out with some questions you have now and don't know you have yet.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner reefer, hobby, reef, saltwater