Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/06/2018, 08:17 AM   #1
Aquavaj
Registered Member

Will the harassment between my maroon clownfishes stop?

I picked one up the other day from a LFS. It's about 2.5". They had another one that was about 2" and I was considering picking both up to see if I can get them to pair up but decided not to.

Yesterday I picked another one up at a Petco. Small little fellow at about 1". I heard for easier pairing one should be a lot smaller than the other so it will submit without much fighting. That's exactly what happened. The moment the larger one started harassing him he submitted with the jerking movements.

However even though he submits each time he gets harassed she doesn't seem to be stopping. Not straight up chasing him but butting him and nipping his fins. That got him hiding in a small crevice in the rocks for awhile.

I checked this morning before leaving for work and they're both close to one another and looks like she has let off. That could just be that it's dark with only moonlighting on. I hate to come home and he's all tore up or stressed out.

Aquavaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 12:56 PM   #2
jackquillin2002
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquavaj View Post
I picked one up the other day from a LFS. It's about 2.5". They had another one that was about 2" and I was considering picking both up to see if I can get them to pair up but decided not to.

Yesterday I picked another one up at a Petco. Small little fellow at about 1". I heard for easier pairing one should be a lot smaller than the other so it will submit without much fighting. That's exactly what happened. The moment the larger one started harassing him he submitted with the jerking movements.

However even though he submits each time he gets harassed she doesn't seem to be stopping. Not straight up chasing him but butting him and nipping his fins. That got him hiding in a small crevice in the rocks for awhile.

I checked this morning before leaving for work and they're both close to one another and looks like she has let off. That could just be that it's dark with only moonlighting on. I hate to come home and he's all tore up or stressed out.

No it will never, remove one of them before the weaker one dies

55gallon reef tank

jackquillin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 05:54 PM   #3
LeaveItToReefer
Registered Member

Sometimes it helps to reorganize your rockscape so they don't become as territorial. It helps "reset" the territories in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeaveItToReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 09:06 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Actually your first idea of 2" would have most likely been female, at 1" is almost certainly still male, and doable, and sleeping together would be ok sign, though personally I prefer a acclimation box for a day or even days just gto get female used to it w/out being too terrible.
It could work out still

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 09:48 PM   #5
Jazeel55
Registered Member

It will stop when one is dead

Jazeel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 10:05 PM   #6
jackquillin2002
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveItToReefer View Post
Sometimes it helps to reorganize your rockscape so they don't become as territorial. It helps "reset" the territories in the tank.

I tried that

55gallon reef tank

jackquillin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 10:36 PM   #7
jorda9095
Registered Member

I've recently had success with a larger female and small male so it is doable. They tolerate each other and sleep together. Depending on the little guy's shape you may want to separate them when you aren't able to watch. I've also had the common experience in the past as well where the little one dies

jorda9095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 11:23 PM   #8
Jazeel55
Registered Member

Your tank is also to small. I went through 4 Clarki before I could pair mines up. Clown fish are the devils of the aquarium trade. Vicious little creature

Jazeel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 10:03 AM   #9
Aquavaj
Registered Member

The bigger one has let off for now but not until nipping the top and one of the bottom fins. Nowhere near as bad as in the pic though. They still both hang out in lower back corner and don't really go anywhere. I get that they generally just stay in one area but why can't it be in the front so I can atleast see them.

Aquavaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 05:53 PM   #10
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazeel55 View Post
It will stop when one is dead
Exactly.