Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2019, 06:35 PM   #1
gsiegel
Registered Member

What exactly is "arrive alive" when shipping fish

I purchased an expensive and typically hardy fish from what I understand to be a reputable seller with an arrive alive guarantee.

The fish was quarantined in his system for a month and I was told it was eating and doing great (I have no reason to doubt that). After acclimating and putting in my tank it was apparent that something was off (neurologically?) with the fish. It was swimming into rock/coral almost like it is blind. Nearly 2 weeks later it is still alive but has still not eaten and is progressively getting worse. You can put your hand next to it and no reaction. The eyes (the entire eye and socket) are also twitching back and forth.

When you receive a fish that is alive but is clearly not healthy (perhaps the shipper threw the box?) how would you interpret the arrive alive guarantee and expect the seller to handle this situation? Any feedback especially from vendors is especially appreciated.

300g mixed reef-BlueHippo/Midas&bicolorBenny/2FlameHawks/CoralBeauty/MagFoxFace/spotted rabbit/BlondNaso/2clowns/PurpleTang/chevron tang/2lyretails/wrasses-pintail,2flame,lineatus,radiant,pink margin,
gsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 06:46 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I guess it depends on how literally the vendor interprets the term. Your fish did arrive alive. I had this happen once where a fish clearly was compromised. I took a video of it being put into my QT and was ultimately able to ‘negotiate’ an acceptable accommodation from the vendor. In my case, the vendor was one I had had multiple prior positive experiences with.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 07:45 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Upon proof of a major defect, a vendor should replace.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote