Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2020, 12:55 AM   #1
Zionas
Registered Member

Damsels and Chromis Lifespan Survey

It’s a well-known fact that Clownfish, being relatives of Damsels and Chromis, are very long-lived, easily making it over a decade and even over two decades (has anyone kept theirs for 30+ years?). However, I don’t see the lifespans of their relatives, the Damsels and Chromis being discussed nearly as much. If any of you have kept / are keeping non-Clownfish damsels and / or Chromis, I would love to know how long these guys live for you.

1. What species is it / was it?

2. Size at time of purchase?

3. How long did it live / has it lived for you? (If dead, how did it die?)

4. Any tips / secrets for keeping them long term?

Thanks.

Zionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2020, 10:52 AM   #2
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Buy the biggest Chromis that you can, preferably from someone else's tank. Too high of a morality.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2020, 11:07 AM   #3
RioReefr
Registered Member

Intresting.

I wanted to buy a school of 5 Chromis. They die quickly??
Would Anthias be an option for a group of fish?

Personally, I hate Damsels. They have a cool blue color when young, but it fades to dull blue as they age. They also become very aggressive.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2020, 11:59 AM   #4
Zionas
Registered Member

Which damsels are you talking about? I don’t think ones like the Blue Devil, Fiji Devil, Yellowtail, Azure, Neon, Andaman or Springer’s lose their color as they age.

Unread 09/17/2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Zionas
Registered Member

Would love to hear about lifespans of damsels and Chromis!

Unread 09/17/2020, 07:21 PM   #6
daveutile7
Registered Member

I bought 13 chromis for my 65 gallon reef tank. They were beautiful and schooled together. One got uronema and they began to die off one every three days. I quarantined but as soon as I did another would get sick. My last 4 fought to death and now I have no chromis.

daveutile7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2020, 09:58 PM   #7
Zionas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveutile7 View Post
I bought 13 chromis for my 65 gallon reef tank. They were beautiful and schooled together. One got uronema and they began to die off one every three days. I quarantined but as soon as I did another would get sick. My last 4 fought to death and now I have no chromis.

Gosh that sucks! More reason for me to avoid Chromis.

Unread 09/18/2020, 05:29 AM   #8
Big E
Registered Member

If you want chromis that are longer lived buy the black axil chromis. They are larger and hardier.

My last damsel a Chrysiptera taupou lived for 10 years.
Any of the Chrysiptera species should live at least this long and they are generally less aggressive.

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/10/10/...sels-disguise/

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2020, 05:45 AM   #9
Zionas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
If you want chromis that are longer lived buy the black axil chromis. They are larger and hardier.

My last damsel a Chrysiptera taupou lived for 10 years.
Any of the Chrysiptera species should live at least this long and they are generally less aggressive.

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/10/10/...sels-disguise/

How big was your Taupou when you got it?

I have considered the Black Axil and they do have better colors than the Blue Green but are they just as prone to uronema?

Also have you tried mixing Chrysiptera species or mixing Chrysiptera with other genuses? I am looking into getting a pair of Yellowtails and wand a third, different Damsel.

I heard some of the Pomacentrus species aren’t too bad, like the Lemon / Ambon / Neon but not sure. And maybe the Ternated Damsel (?) AKA Lemon Chromis. I heard they can turn green.

Unread 09/18/2020, 03:50 PM   #10
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I've never had a chromis die that didn't die from chromis on chromis violence. I always had to break down and move the tank before they croaked. My current one has been in the tank about 2 years. I had one in the previous tank about as long. 2-3 years in the tank before. Military moves cloud my numbers, but I have no reason to doubt that one will live for many years in healthy conditons.

Ditto for yellow tailed damsels. I won't mess with any other damsel (potential aggression), so no comment beyond the yellow tail.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2020, 08:57 PM   #11
Zionas
Registered Member

Yeah, the Yellowtails and Azures and some of the other Chrysiptera look very nice.

Would love more experiences with how old Damsels and Chromis live for you!

Unread 09/19/2020, 04:02 AM   #12
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionas View Post
How big was your Taupou when you got it?

I have considered the Black Axil and they do have better colors than the Blue Green but are they just as prone to uronema?

Also have you tried mixing Chrysiptera species or mixing Chrysiptera with other genuses? I am looking into getting a pair of Yellowtails and wand a third, different Damsel.

I heard some of the Pomacentrus species aren’t too bad, like the Lemon / Ambon / Neon but not sure. And maybe the Ternated Damsel (?) AKA Lemon Chromis. I heard they can turn green.
My taupou was about 1.5" and grew to 2". Most of the growth I saw was from the body becoming more rounded and fuller vs actual length.

There are about 4-5 different species of "yellow tail" damsels so I'd be more specific on what species your talking about. For example C. cyanea the male has a yellow tail and the female is all blue.

Yes, some of the Pomos are ok, smithi, alleni are two that come to mind.

The lemon type damsels you mention lose color and are bland as adults, they also get too large and possibly more aggressive.

You can mix damsel species but be aware that tank size plays a role especially when you have multiples of one species as two can pair up and try to eliminate the others.

If you have any chance of getting a Chrysiptera galba do it as even with today's prices they are worth it. One of the most beautiful fish I have owned and would take them over any fish in that same price range.

Ed
Unread 09/19/2020, 04:13 AM   #13
Zionas
Registered Member

Quote:
My taupou was about 1.5" and grew to 2". Most of the growth I saw was from the body becoming more rounded and fuller vs actual length.

There are about 4-5 different species of "yellow tail" damsels so I'd be more specific on what species your talking about. For example C. cyanea the male has a yellow tail and the female is all blue.

Yes, some of the Pomos are ok, smithi, alleni are two that come to mind.

The lemon type damsels you mention lose color and are bland as adults, they also get too large and possibly more aggressive.

You can mix damsel species but be aware that tank size plays a role especially when you have multiples of one species as two can pair up and try to eliminate the others.

If you have any chance of getting a Chrysiptera galba do it as even with today's prices they are worth it. One of the most beautiful fish I have owned and would take them over any fish in that same price range.

Unfortunately I’ve never seen a galba where I am. Love them though and think they’re beautiful.

I’m talking about C. parasema, the one in Chrysiptera.

A slight change of plan. A pair of Yellowtails and another damsel of a different type. Would that be trouble in a 3-foot, 65 gallon tank?

Unread 09/19/2020, 09:19 AM   #14
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I'd avoid anything more than a singleton. I tried a group of 3-4 (I forgot which) in my old 120g. One died from bullying before I could get it out. They were constantly fighting and I'd have ended up with one if I didn't remove the other(s). They don't play well with others in our small spaces.

Unread 09/19/2020, 11:32 AM   #15
Zionas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
I'd avoid anything more than a singleton. I tried a group of 3-4 (I forgot which) in my old 120g. One died from bullying before I could get it out. They were constantly fighting and I'd have ended up with one if I didn't remove the other(s). They don't play well with others in our small spaces.

Are you referring to a singleton of one in total, or one specimen of each species? So you’re saying that even in a 70 gallon a pair of Yellowtails could be risky?

Unread 09/19/2020, 12:06 PM   #16
Big E
Registered Member

If you want a pair I would suggest getting the C. cyanea since it's easy to tell male from female.

It would be tough to get a pair of the other types in a 65g as you'd have to get 4 and wait/hope two pair up and then remove the others.

You can mix singles of different species.

Also keep in mind the tankmates you choose other than the damsels. It would mean you have to get other fish that can take care of themseives and that aren't timid.

Ed
Unread 09/19/2020, 12:08 PM   #17
Zionas
Registered Member

Quote:
If you want a pair I would suggest getting the C. cyanea since it's easy to tell male from female.

It would be tough to get a pair of the other types in a 65g as you'd have to get 4 and wait/hope two pair up and then remove the others.

You can mix singles of different species.

Also keep in mind the tankmates you choose other than the damsels. It would mean you have to get other fish that can take care of themseives and that aren't timid.

Great thanks for the info. As for the cyanea, how aggressive are they?

Unread 09/19/2020, 12:27 PM   #18
Zionas
Registered Member

If I put in two female C. Cyanea will one transition to male over time?

Unread 09/19/2020, 12:47 PM   #19
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Quote:
Are you referring to a singleton of one in total, or one specimen of each species? So you’re saying that even in a 70 gallon a pair of Yellowtails could be risky
single as in one from each species. You may want to expand that a bit and stick with one from each color pattern. I'm not so sure a blue fish with a yellow tail woudn't beat up on a blue fish with a yellow tail and belly. If they look different enough not to be recognized as a rival you should be fine. I had trouble with multiples in a 120g tank (4'x2'x2')

I've kept damsels and green chromis in several different tanks without issue. I have one of each in my 60g cube right now. (2 foot cube)

Just to level the bubble, I'm speaking of C. viridis for the chromis and C. parasema for the YT Damsel

Unread 09/19/2020, 01:34 PM   #20
Zionas
Registered Member

I see. Any species to avoid?

What about the Blue Devil, Fiji Devil, and any of the Dascyllus?

Last edited by Zionas; 09/19/2020 at 02:22 PM.
Unread 09/19/2020, 02:25 PM   #21
Sk8r
RC Mod

Chromis adjust their own numbers to fit the tank. My experience is 1 per 100 gallons will thrive and bother nobody else.

The Fiji blue devil is actually a fairly mild fellow.

Two to avoid: one-spot dascyllus or the damsel that has a white and an azure stripe on a black body. The dascyllus grow huge fast---I had to rehome one the size of my palm and unless raised from infancy with other damsels will attempt to kill them all. And succeed. The azure stripe damsel while beautiful is the meanest of a tough lot.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2020, 02:36 PM   #22
Zionas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Chromis adjust their own numbers to fit the tank. My experience is 1 per 100 gallons will thrive and bother nobody else.

The Fiji blue devil is actually a fairly mild fellow.

Two to avoid: one-spot dascyllus or the damsel that has a white and an azure stripe on a black body. The dascyllus grow huge fast---I had to rehome one the size of my palm and unless raised from infancy with other damsels will attempt to kill them all. And succeed. The azure stripe damsel while beautiful is the meanest of a tough lot.

Thanks. What’s your opinion of the Three Striped and Four Striped and Lemon Damsels?

Unread 09/21/2020, 03:12 AM   #23
Zionas
Registered Member

I like the look of Chrysiptera Cyanea but would they be too aggressive for a community tank? Their tankmates will be PJ Cardinals, a Royal Gramma, pair of YWGs, African Flameback Angel and a pair of Ocellaris Clowns.

Unread 09/21/2020, 09:44 AM   #24
Sk8r
RC Mod

THe 3 and 4 stripe are capable of growing large and taking out other fish. The lemon I have no experience of though most of the single color damsels are quieter and more peaceful. One caution. Damsels hate chromis and will kill them---particularly the dascyllus will.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2020, 09:47 AM   #25
Zionas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
THe 3 and 4 stripe are capable of growing large and taking out other fish. The lemon I have no experience of though most of the single color damsels are quieter and more peaceful. One caution. Damsels hate chromis and will kill them---particularly the dascyllus will.
Alright. Thanks. I guess no 3-Stripe or 4-Stripe but you think the Blue Devil and Fiji Devil are okay?