Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2019, 03:20 AM   #1
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Marine Betta with eggs

Sunday afternoon I noticed that the larger Marine Betta of my second pair was attending to a nest of eggs:

This may have been their first spawn. The nest is relatively small since the female is still small. I got them both quite small almost 4 years ago. The female is a Sea & Reef captive-bred, the male is wild-caught. Both were females when I got them.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 06:43 PM   #2
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Very cool. Well done.

Should the eggs hatch, how difficult is the rearing of the fry?

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 08:54 PM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
Very cool. Well done.

Should the eggs hatch, how difficult is the rearing of the fry?
I raised two batches back in 1991 and 1992 with just Brachionus and brine shrimp nauplii. So by today's standards, if you have the right and enough copepod cultures and suitable larva tanks, it shouldn't be too difficult.
But right now I don't have the food cultures to get a couple thousand larva through the first weeks and also no suitable tanks - standard rectangular tanks just don't work well enough.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 09/17/2019, 09:04 PM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

What about just pick 20-40 of the largest ones and try to raise them?

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 10:40 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
What about just pick 20-40 of the largest ones and try to raise them?
How would you go about picking so few out of 2000 to 3000?
Usually, you need to start with the whole batch and let natural selection do its thing...

Unread 09/18/2019, 04:42 AM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

If I don’t have enough food, I just raise about the numbers of fries I have food for. I just pick what ever the number I think I have food for and separate them and do my best raising them. The rest I just let the fish in the tank take it course. I can’t say nature take it course because my tank is not Nature.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 09/18/2019, 08:03 AM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

My experience with picking a handful isn't the best. And at the time you need to pick there isn't really a good way to determine who is a winner and will fall by the wayside. In my experience that comes down to how good a larva accepts the offered food. The picky eaters usually don't make it regardless if there is a lot or a little competition.
But right now my real problem is not really the food but rather having a suitable tank to raise larva in.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unread 09/28/2019, 06:16 PM   #8
lionfish300
Registered Member

So back on 91-92 did you actually raise to how big and how long did it took? Also what you end up did with all of them? Very cool

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2019, 02:44 AM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

It took about 8 months to get them to around an inch. At that point, I sold most of them.

This was one of those at about 6 weeks:

Of the first hatch, only 8 survived. One I kept knowingly, 6 I sold, and one that had slipped through the overflow drain and was believed to be dead resurfaced a little over two years later in the sump tank as the second female to another Marine Betta pair I kept there together with a fully grown pair of Clarkii.

The one I kept knowingly went all the way to spawning himself:

The second batch I raised yielded 13 and I sold all of those.
Back then it was a pretty big deal and Fossa and Nielsen came by to take pictures for their books:

The issue is that you need better larval foods than rotifers and brine shrimp. On top of that, you also need special larva rearing tanks - square tanks won't work. I used an octagonal tank with a rotational flow that was plumbed into the parent's system. Even better would be a plankton kreisel like it is used for jellyfish.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA-J1.jpg (51.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160804_0001_NEW.jpg (100.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg CA-M5.jpg (81.2 KB, 61 views)

Unread 10/02/2019, 06:29 AM   #10
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Very cool and very impressive. What a honor to have Fossa and Nielsen come take pictures for their books!

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2019, 06:31 AM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

Very good. I would love to buy a fish from you if you decide to raise this patch.

Unread 12/08/2019, 12:48 AM   #12
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I caught them with another nest in the same location. Over the holidays I plan to modify either a 20L or a 20T to a Kreisel larva tank. And in parallel, I got to get food organism cultures going, especially Brachionus S type and Tisbe. Once I got all that ready I plan on raising a batch of Marine Bettas.
I also plan on setting up another pair. Two weeks ago I found a large one that might be a young male or a female in transition to become a male, and today I got a nice sized female to pair it with. I plan to put those with the Amphiprion milii where I will have better access to the eggs than in the large display tank.

I plan also to make a few smaller, 10-gallon larva tanks for pipefish and my Assessors.
Hopefully, by summer of next year, I got the first baby fish.

Unread 12/29/2019, 02:55 PM   #13
lionfish300
Registered Member

Thanks you for answers to my questions. Very cool babies picture

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote