Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2019, 09:37 PM   #1
Johnic
Registered Member

Thinking of a Larger Reef Build

I have a Niche in the dining room thats been calling for a reef tank for years. I currently have a 75 peninsula tank but Ive always wanted a larger tank.
The niche is 7 foot and can support a 24” deep tank - is this deep enough ?
What would the rough cost be assuming i would need to buy all new equipment with the exception of two Ecotech lights and a Royal Exclusive Red dragon I believe is a model 3 which can do 2400 GPH.
I would like a new sump with roller pad style mech filtering as well as a chamber for some cheato or a large ATS.

What would the rough cost be minus the inhabitants?

75 Lee Mar Peninsula Tank, Reef Octo Elite 150, Custom Advanced Acrylic Sump, (2) MP40, Vectra M2 Main Pump, (2) XR15 Pro, Clear Water ATS CW-50, Alkatronic,GHL Doser 2.1, Apex Neptune El with Trident
Johnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2019, 08:31 PM   #2
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

See the thread in this forum titled "Cost of a large tank", $30-50/gallon is a good rough estimate. Costs will vary greatly based on choice of tank makers, what kind of rocks you'll be using, the sump, etc etc etc. If you're really curious ask aquarium makers for a quote on a particular size. Then go to someplace like Bulkreefsupply.com and just price out equipment and what not, i.e. you need to do a little homework yourself.

As to the size, any size can work if you make it work, there is no strict rules for size, however you sometimes need to get a bit more creative with what you have available. Me personally 24" depth (front to back) isn't enough at a minimum I would do 30" (yeah that 6" does make a big difference) however everyone is different.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Unread 09/01/2019, 05:20 PM   #3
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

At least 30" better with 36" with the trend of open aquascape nowadays u need all the depth u can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2019, 10:14 PM   #4
Johnic
Registered Member

Good info....It will be about 2 years before this happens but I want to get the ball rolling and design it correctly

75 Lee Mar Peninsula Tank, Reef Octo Elite 150, Custom Advanced Acrylic Sump, (2) MP40, Vectra M2 Main Pump, (2) XR15 Pro, Clear Water ATS CW-50, Alkatronic,GHL Doser 2.1, Apex Neptune El with Trident
Johnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2019, 07:21 PM   #5
lionfish300
Registered Member

Your niche is 24" deep does that mean you will not able to view the sides? If that the case then 24 depth would be the way to go

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote