Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Slayer33
Registered Member

Lighting help, T5HO over LED

I currently am running a dual 36" t5ho light with 2x Ati Blue Plus and supplemented with a 36" Current USA Orbit IC Loop.

I am planning on replacing the Orbit with a second 2x t5ho ballast.. probably 1x white spectrum and 1x atinic bulb..

Is this too much light? Or heat? I plan on getting a single 36" led atinic strip to do like a moon light effect outside the lighting times..

Is this a good setup? Or is there a better ati bulb combo? I can so a 3 bulb t5ho if 4 is too much

Slayer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 06:24 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer33 View Post

Is this too much light? Or heat?
Is this a good setup? Or is there a better ati bulb combo?

Can't answer any of those as you told us nothing about your tank nor whats in it nor if you are having heat problems now nor if the light is in a canopy or which ati bulb is the "white spectrum" model..

But I'll guess no on most of those..

Unread 11/20/2017, 06:26 PM   #3
Slayer33
Registered Member

I do have 2 Fluval t5 bulbs I can use.. one atinic and the other is called power spectrum 18000 Kelvin..

Unread 11/20/2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Slayer33
Registered Member

I have a canopy but it's open at the back, 60 gallon, 20" deep, LPS corals no sps. Fish with live rock and corals.. 30 gallon sump with refugium.

It does get warm but nothing bad

Unread 11/20/2017, 06:32 PM   #5
Slayer33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Can't answer any of those as you told us nothing about your tank nor whats in it nor if you are having heat problems now nor if the light is in a canopy or which ati bulb is the "white spectrum" model..

But I'll guess no on most of those..
My mistake for not adding the specifics.. still new to a lot of this. All I know if that the Orbit IC seems to really suck and ever since adding t5s it's been a lot better..

Unread 11/20/2017, 08:42 PM   #6
Slayer33
Registered Member

Also ome more thing to add.. my t5 fixture is sitting right above the tank so maybe only 1-2" above the water surface

Unread 11/20/2017, 09:41 PM   #7
Daddi0
Registered Member

I run 6 x 36" t5 H/O with Geissman tubes. I love it but if I had to over, I would do 4 x t5's and a 36 inch Reefbrite blue. If you are concerned about heat from the ballasts, you could always mount them remotely

Daddi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 10:18 PM   #8
Slayer33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
I run 6 x 36" t5 H/O with Geissman tubes. I love it but if I had to over, I would do 4 x t5's and a 36 inch Reefbrite blue. If you are concerned about heat from the ballasts, you could always mount them remotely
Thanks! I haven't seen Geissman tubes here.. ATI and Fluval.. I mounted my t5ho fixtures on the top edge of the canopy and left the top open.. I was able to get both 2x dual t5ho going.. I have the Orbit IC running atinic only for now but will look to sell it to put in a smaller form factor for atinic only.. maybe 2x elive led 36" or 2x aqueon max blue.. I saw the aqueons on clearance today foe $24CAD.

I have a Current USA dual ramp timer I can use for the leds.

Very happy with the outcome, color and output!

Unread 11/20/2017, 10:23 PM   #9
Slayer33
Registered Member

Right now I'm running 2x ati blue plus 1x Fluval power spectrum 18k Kelvin and a Fluval atninc I

I might change out the Fluval for ati coral plus and another blue plus or atinic

Unread 11/21/2017, 05:19 AM   #10
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Could you add the 2 extra t5 and still fit it with the Current leds?

The leds are weak as far as PAR goes and growing coral. But as a filler and adding some color and control along with the 2 or 3 or 4 t5's, they are perfectly OK. Too much light? Hardly. People run 6 and 8 bulb t5 fixtures. Too much heat? Iffy given you have them in a canopy and very close to the water. Any ventilation fan would likely solve any extra heat issues.

Unread 11/21/2017, 03:46 PM   #11
Slayer33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Could you add the 2 extra t5 and still fit it with the Current leds?

The leds are weak as far as PAR goes and growing coral. But as a filler and adding some color and control along with the 2 or 3 or 4 t5's, they are perfectly OK. Too much light? Hardly. People run 6 and 8 bulb t5 fixtures. Too much heat? Iffy given you have them in a canopy and very close to the water. Any ventilation fan would likely solve any extra heat issues.
Thanks! I have my canopy open now the lights are suspended at the same height as the canopy (about 4 inches now). No heat issues!

I did change out the Fluval T5s for ATI Coral Plus and Blue Plus but I'm not sure if I like it as much as having the Fluval Power Spectrum bulb... its very blue and doesn't seem to show as much detail.. but maybe I'll leave it for a while to see if I like it.

I do have the Current Orbit still on there.. but it takes up a fair amount of space... I'd almost rather have a smaller blue LED strip in place since its only for evening supplementing.

Here's a pic with the 2x ATI Blue Plus, 1-Fluval Power Spectrum and 1-Fluval Actinic I

And here's a pic with 3x ATI Blue Plus and 1x ATI Coral Plus