Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2018, 10:10 AM   #1
NaturalReef
Registered Member

Red Sea Max Nano build

Hi all,

Been reefing for 20 years with various size tanks with the last tank being a IM lagoon 50 sps dominant. I’m downgrading to the max nano. I’m going to try to keep this tank stock in the lighting department since I have grown sps with AI prime on other tanks. This tank is going to be a mixed reef with high end sps near the top. So we will see how far a single prime HD takes us. The only issue I see is shadowing when they become colonies.

Equipment

Red Sea Max Nano White (20 Gallon)
AI Prime HD
Vortech MP10QD
100 watt Visitherm heater
~20 lbs Caribsea Liferock
10lb Caribsea Aragonite
Icecap ATO
Trigger systems 5 gallon ATO container clear

The cycle just finished using Red Sea Mature which I recommend. It quickly cycled the tank even missing a few days of adding bacteria and nopox. I used Caribsea liferock which looks beautiful under the led’s and came with beautiful shapes which made reef scaping easier.

I have 50 varieties of sps but plan on slowly moving over a select few sps that are my favorite. Mainly, Walt Disney....ASD rainbow mili....Pearlberry....Reef Raft rainbow loom...Garf bonsai....mother of pearl.....Myagi tort.....Rommel’s rainbow....Miami orchid....

Lower half of tank will be filled with my bleeding apple,reverse bleeding and warpaint scolymia. Fruit loop, Rasta, purple hornet, bam bam zoas....what I need to purchase coral wise is dendros, some choice rainbow acans, Red Sea fan and ultra maxima.

Fish will be a breeding pair of clownfish. The female I saved from petco 15ish years ago and a snowflake about 5 yrs old.

I will be using the stock skimmer which works great and using tropic Marin bioactif for nutrient control.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by NaturalReef; 04/16/2018 at 10:17 AM.
NaturalReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 03:48 PM   #2
Ritten
Registered Member

That looks really nice!

Ritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 04:42 PM   #3
NaturalReef
Registered Member

Thanks Ritten!

Unread 04/17/2018, 12:59 AM   #4
Pinkie Cuebitt
Registered Member

Wow, looks great. Am ordering my rsmn in June, can’t wait! Out of interest, how long does your ato container last? Big enough for a 2 week vacation? Presumably you’ve removed the ato that is included with rsmn and the icecap ato fits in the same place?

Pinkie Cuebitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 10:20 PM   #5
Ohiostreetz
Registered Member

Nice rock work

Ohiostreetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 01:23 PM   #6
NaturalReef
Registered Member

Thanks guys! Pinkie, ato right now is lasting over 3 weeks. I removed the stock ato and replaced it with the icecap ato which fits easily in rear chamber. You will love the RSM nano!

Unread 04/24/2018, 02:58 PM   #7
NaturalReef
Registered Member

Red Sea Max Nano build

Transferred the clownfish over. Nemo must have had a full belly as she is picking out a site to lay eggs. They are a mated pair and have been laying eggs for a couple of years now. I also transferred my scolymia and fragged a pearlberry and bonsai acro to see how they fare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by NaturalReef; 04/24/2018 at 03:09 PM.