Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2014, 04:40 PM   #1
marinereef01
Registered Member

Question My ailing Bubble Coral

I have a bubble coral and was thriving for awhile then all of the sudden the "bubbles" won't come out anymore.... it has been this way for awhile now. All my other corals, inverts and fish are doing amazing - except the bubble coral. I have tried moving it around the aquarium and it still will not come out.... I have it right now in the middle in a med/high flow area. Any reason why it is not wanting to come out?

marinereef01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2014, 05:03 PM   #2
kurt_n
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinereef01 View Post
...I have it right now in the middle in a med/high flow area. Any reason why it is not wanting to come out?...
Not sure where it was to start with but med/high flow is *not* where you want it. Low flow is what it wants. Looking at the pictures, I'd take a guess that it was in a high flow area to start with. Looks like the tissue has been pretty much torn off the septa (skeleton), which normally doesn't end well with these things.

I'd move it to a low flow area, keep your water as clean as possible, and cross your fingers. Not much you can do but wait and see if it heals.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2014, 06:45 PM   #3
lgull1
Registered Member

that bubble has lost its tissue. They hate, hate , hate flow. Put it in the lowest area you can find. I see the skeleton so that is no good. You might have killed this one. It might come back but i have had one for 14 years and never put it in high or med flow. I just moved mine and i thought it like where it was at, but when i moved it to the corner and virtually no flow, it expanded huge. They hate flow at all. Hope this helps.

lgull1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2014, 10:41 PM   #4
slgcmg
Registered Member

I have mine in medium flow and it does well. Do the candy canes show aggression? They're pretty close

Unread 05/24/2014, 11:50 PM   #5
Tamarae
Registered Member

Definitely try the lower flow. Mine likes to sway some but not so much that the bubbles rub on the skeleton. It needs a bit of space too. It sends out sweepers at night that are fairly long.

Current Tank Info: Zoos and LPS with a couple feeshies
Tamarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2014, 10:17 PM   #6
jmil08
Registered Member

Bubbles can take good wave motion......but only for a few hours. Try placing it away from corner flow and wave maker

jmil08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2014, 05:46 PM   #7
rlm2005
Registered Member

Low flow is better but if it does die, don't throw it away. I've had two bubble skeletons which sprouted babies months after the die off.

65 gallon mixed reef
rlm2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2014, 06:11 PM   #8
marinereef01
Registered Member

Thanks all for the input. Yeah, I have had it down on the bottom in a very low flow area and today there is nothing but a skeleton showing. I guess I will just wait it out but it looks like nothing is in there....

marinereef01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2014, 07:57 PM   #9
AJ69
Registered Member

Is gone, sorry for your loss :'(

Current Tank Info: rimless cube
AJ69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble coral, coral