Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/09/2016, 03:27 PM   #1
beolson25
Registered Member

Rock Flower Anemone Sexual Reproduction

All, I have a couple videos and a few pictures to post but I have 6 Rock Flower Anemones in my 75 gallon along with 3-4 RTBAs(not really of note in this conversation). Recently I saw two of the Rock Flower Anemones(RFA) excrete white goo(yeah ... spooge) ... I will attach the videos in a couple minutes over my phone. I used a turkey baster to squirt it into the others and had the pumps off for hours ...

Now ... getting to my actual question ... I know that if they made babies I could start to see new babies around November so I don't think the little guy I found is from that spawn ... But ... Today I saw a little orange spot in the middle of a bunch of Zoas ... So I cleaned my glass(dirty cuz I'm lazy) and got a few pictures.

I'm interested in opinions if this little orange thing is a new Anemone ... I would be super thrilled if that is the case ...

Please feel free to ask questions and add your thoughts.

Last edited by beolson25; 10/09/2016 at 03:43 PM.
beolson25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2016, 04:22 PM   #2
beolson25
Registered Member

Pictures

Couldn't upload the video ... file too big and didn't seed a valid file format.

Attached 2 of the little baby and one of the recent anemone spawn

Let me know your thoughts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160923_151606_resize.jpg (70.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161009_161635_resize.jpg (52.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161009_161639(1)_resize.jpg (47.1 KB, 116 views)
Unread 10/09/2016, 06:29 PM   #3
beolson25
Registered Member

Well crap .... Now I am beginning to wonder if it is aptasia ... I've had a recent outbreak but usually aptasia don't look like this ... Longer skinnier tentacles ... Uhhhhh ....

Any thoughts?

Unread 10/10/2016, 04:58 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

I do not keep Rock anemones. However, the first pictures show a male Rock anemone producing sperms. The other two pictures does show young Rock anemone, not aptasia. Congratulations. These anemones have been documented tp reproduce sexually in aquarium before by a few reefers.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2016, 07:05 AM   #5
beolson25
Registered Member

I sure hope you are right ... Now the long wait to see what the full color looks like ... I'm pumped.

Interested in any other feedback.

Unread 10/10/2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Postal
Registered Member

They pretty much have their full color immediately. You just need to feed it consistently with size appropriate foods fairly regularly to get it to grow at a decent rate,

Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2016, 03:16 PM   #7
beolson25
Registered Member

Well ... I found a second little baby ... Looks like I'm a Dad(Anemone). This one is under the Mom and pretty obviously a rock flower as well.

Unread 10/10/2016, 11:59 PM   #8
BayouCorals
Registered Member

I have had a few hundred baby rock anemones over the last few years from my original 5. The best way to find the babies is to turn your pumps off and lights off with only actinics. Aptasia don't glow in the blue lights. The babies will look like small bright colored dots. congratulations on the anemones. It was always fun to count the babies with my children.

BayouCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2016, 08:01 PM   #9
beolson25
Registered Member

BayouCorals,
wow ... did you sell them? What % do you think turned out with "Ultra" vs "cool" vs "not-cool" colors?

Unread 10/11/2016, 10:39 PM   #10
BayouCorals
Registered Member

I gave some away. Many disappeared into the sump. I still have a lot of them. I had them in a propagation system with no live rock and just about 1/2" of sand. It had a common sump into a much bigger system. It was much easy to find them and collect them from the sand versus attached to live rock. I moved this year and took down the system this summer. I haven't had any babies in the new system. I would say 20% ultra (better than the parents in my opinion), 60% cool (as nice as the parents), and 20% plain green. I have another thread on here showing the parents.

BayouCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2016, 05:17 AM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouCorals View Post
...... I have another thread on here showing the parents.
Actually the parents and his anemone reproduction.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2255258

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2018, 10:04 AM   #12
HHN
Registered Member

How long does it generally take for RFAs to produce? Anything one can do to encourage the process?

HHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2018, 10:29 AM   #13
beolson25
Registered Member

Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHN View Post
How long does it generally take for RFAs to produce? Anything one can do to encourage the process?
I think it's important to understand there are many species. You have to be lucky enough(or through large quantities) to ensure you have a male and female of the same species. I think it could take 2-3(best guess) years from being born to be big enough to reproduce. I suspect most you buy at the store are of reproducing age when you buy them.

Then mine appear to have spawned during the equinox in September. Sadly all of the babies I had died or disappeared over time and a small table problem I had when my chiller died. And even worse one of the mating anemones died too ... 😣

Just my $.02

Unread 08/12/2018, 04:05 PM   #14
Soluent1
Registered Member

Not to hijack this thread, but a worker in one of the aquarium stores I go to said that the males stay small and the females get quite large. Is this true?

Soluent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2018, 04:09 PM   #15
beolson25
Registered Member

I'm not super experienced but I've not noticed a difference in size for fully grown rock flower anemones. Something like a 6 inches diameter is typical.

Unread 08/12/2018, 04:18 PM   #16
Soluent1
Registered Member

Beolsen25, thanks for responding. I took the size info with a grain of salt as I have the scoured the Internet and never found any reference to size and sex. I do have one that has never seemed to grow and others that are in the 5 inch range. Would like to see babies sometime.

Soluent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2018, 04:29 PM   #17
beolson25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluent1 View Post
Beolsen25, thanks for responding. I took the size info with a grain of salt as I have the scoured the Internet and never found any reference to size and sex. I do have one that has never seemed to grow and others that are in the 5 inch range. Would like to see babies sometime.

Tags
anemone reproduction, babies, propagation, rock flower anemone