Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/04/2014, 06:27 PM   #1
OrionN
Moved on

Problem with my Gigas

I have problem with my Gigas and wanted to post it here to see if anybody with similar problem.
My Gigas have localized area of bleaching of the mantel. In these areas, there are air pockets in the tissue. I try to capture these on camera and it is not 100% clear but in real live viewing, there is no mistake that there are air pockets. The clam mantel is irritated in these area, but other than that, he is OK, continue to grow although not as fast as before.
These are are not from the atmosphere. He hav enot been out of the water for at least 9 months when I moved him to this tank. Since he was huge, I did not take him out of the water but lower a large bucket into the water, then move the whole bucket with clam to my current DT. This was 9 months ago.
From the look of this, I think he have internal infection of these mantel area with gas producing bacterial. So far the infection is not spreading. I will keep this thread update once in a while. Anyone with similar experience please chime in.

Here are pictures of the mantel area that have a gas bubble in it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gigas2014060401.jpg (69.6 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg Gigas2014060402.jpg (53.6 KB, 372 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2014, 08:31 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have never seen this on any of my clams, but I do vaguely recall reading about gas-bubble disease in on of the aquarium clam books. Maybe the one by Knop? I have the book; will go and look.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2014, 08:50 PM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

I just went and pull out my Knop clam booK. There is a Gasbubble disease, page 95-96. I have to do more search on this. It does not seem like this is the same problem.
Thanks ca1ore

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 06/04/2014, 10:17 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I just went and pull out my Knop clam booK. There is a Gasbubble disease, page 95-96. I have to do more search on this. It does not seem like this is the same problem.
Thanks ca1ore
I went and looked and concur that it does not appear to be what you are experiencing. I figure given your day job if you cannot figure it out nobody can.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 06/05/2014, 04:55 AM   #5
moliken
Registered Member

no experience with anything like that

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
moliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2014, 05:33 AM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

Many of you may know that I have a lot of light over my aquarium. It is a 72X36 30 inches high (320 gal) with 7 Radions over it 4 G3 Pro and 3 G2. Several weeks ago, I removed one of the light and also move the lights so that there is no direct light over the Gigas. I did this because I see signs that I think the Gigas was over lighted. The Gigas is happier and mantel open fully. He was not fully open under brighter light.
The largest bubble pictured above seem to have break through the mantel, and no longer there. The mantel seem to heal over this event with no problem.
There is one bubble over another area of the mantel that seem to have resolved. I will try to take top down picture of the area interested this weekend and will try to take weekly picture to see if there is any objective changes over time.

Unread 06/06/2014, 05:07 AM   #7
moliken
Registered Member

sounds hopeful.

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
moliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2014, 05:52 PM   #8
OrionN
Moved on

He is looking a lot better. The Bubble have resolved, now only slight bleach at the area where the bubbles were. Below are two picture of him just now:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tgigas2014060801Air bubbles.jpg (100.0 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg Tgigas2014060802.jpg (99.6 KB, 368 views)

Unread 06/08/2014, 08:54 PM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Minh, did you attempt any kind of treatment, or did it resolve on its own?

Unread 06/08/2014, 10:51 PM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

I did not try to treat him with anything. To me, It seem to be an infection. It seem that clams do have some sort of immune system that seen to be able to handle some infection. If he did not improve, I would have taken him out and treat him with antibiotic. Anaerobic infection often produce gases. I would use this fact as guide to choose the antibiotic. Fortunately for me, he seem to improved and is much better.

Unread 06/09/2014, 03:19 PM   #11
hart24601
Registered Member

Great to hear it's better! I enjoy seeing and hearing about your gigas even though I don't post about it, as I am sure many people do!

hart24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2014, 03:12 PM   #12
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

Glad to hear your clam is better. I would love to have a Gigas but for now have to live vicariously through other.

I had once heard you cannot have to much light on a clam. I guess this is wrong.

Most of My Money I Spent On Whiskey, Women and Reefing, The Rest I Just Waisted!

Current Tank Info: 180 Mixed Reef
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2014, 09:54 AM   #13
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
I had once heard you cannot have to much light on a clam. I guess this is wrong.
I think 20 years ago, when lighting systems just weren't that good, it was true! Things progress though, and with modern LED, MH and T5 lighting systems, you can absolutely provide too much if not careful. Trouble is, the old myths persist.

Unread 06/30/2014, 03:49 PM   #14
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

I wish of the community would start speaking in PAR so that we could have a real idea of what is needed. I have been having trouble keeping any 2" maxima clams alive and wonder if the par is high not low.

Most of My Money I Spent On Whiskey, Women and Reefing, The Rest I Just Waisted!

Unread 06/30/2014, 03:59 PM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

Sorry, I cannot talk in PAR because I don't use a PAR meter.
I think for Gigas, which live in the deep, the amount of light I gave him was too much. I basically use one 7 Radion for 6 foot of tank at 100% out put. He does great when I decrease the light to 6 lights and make sue that the light is not directly above him. I think my Derasa and Squamosa also show perhaps too much light. No bleaching or problem other than less matel extension then they are under lower light. No problem with growth.
Crocea and Maxima is fine with this level of light. Great color with this level of light in Maxima and Crocea. IMO, I have reach max light tolerant for theother three species fo clams (Gigas, Derasa and Squamosa) with my light set.

Unread 07/01/2014, 07:53 AM   #16
ZephNYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Sorry, I cannot talk in PAR because I don't use a PAR meter.
I think for Gigas, which live in the deep, the amount of light I gave him was too much. I basically use one 7 Radion for 6 foot of tank at 100% out put. He does great when I decrease the light to 6 lights and make sue that the light is not directly above him. I think my Derasa and Squamosa also show perhaps too much light. No bleaching or problem other than less matel extension then they are under lower light. No problem with growth.
Crocea and Maxima is fine with this level of light. Great color with this level of light in Maxima and Crocea. IMO, I have reach max light tolerant for theother three species fo clams (Gigas, Derasa and Squamosa) with my light set.
Interesting. Ive had my Gigas for 8 years now. It sits under 1000W of Metal halide lighting. 2x250W14K, and 2X 250W 10K. It grows about a half inch per year.

Current Tank Info: 210 sps/125 nps/40B maxima growout
ZephNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2014, 10:58 AM   #17
OrionN
Moved on

Mine grow more than 1 inch last year. One inch on each end and about 1.5 inches in the middle. He is about 14 years old and about 20 inches long at this time. I really pump lots of Ca into my system.

Unread 07/11/2014, 09:47 AM   #18
OrionN
Moved on

My gigas is doing great. Everything resolved. We (the Gigas and I) are happy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TGigas2014071001.jpg (110.6 KB, 159 views)

Unread 07/11/2014, 01:14 PM   #19
hart24601
Registered Member

Can't "like" that enough! That may be the prettiest gigas I have seen.

hart24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2014, 01:28 AM   #20
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

Glad to hear it is better. I would hate to see one die!

Unread 07/12/2014, 07:56 AM   #21
JoeySiew
Registered Member

It's just beautiful. Glad it's fine. Been searching for ages for one

JoeySiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2014, 05:54 AM   #22
marlboroken
Registered Member

I wonder where i could get a giga

marlboroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 06:46 PM   #23
wakesetter
Premium Member

good luck getting a gigas. (it's gigas, not giga). They haven't been imported for at least 5 years. No imports in the plans according to the LA wholesalers that I have asked. Your only way to get one will probably to buy one from someone selling theirs.

wakesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 06:54 PM   #24
OrionN
Moved on

Thanks. My T. gigas is doing great. It is older and grew a lot over last year. It start to change color. Now the color in the interior of the mantel start to become gold.

4/2014

7/2014

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tgigas2014073101.jpg (92.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Tgigas2014041701.jpg (108.0 KB, 83 views)

Unread 07/31/2014, 07:15 PM   #25
AquaTDV
Registered Member

Nice one Mihn!

AquaTDV is offline   Reply With Quote