Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2014, 07:12 PM   #1
this is me
Registered Member

2x 6105 in an Elos 160XL?

Will these be enough on a 63"x32"x24"? I plan on placing them only on one side of the tank? I will have SPS dominant and LPS and clams.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 09:09 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is not ideal, the flow will be a lot weaker on the far side but this is not an issue of pump choice, just that both pumps on the same side will always have this result. The main issue will be detritus is prone to accumulate on the far side and corals with lower flow needs will need to be placed on the far side. If it all possible, I would place one pump on each side.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 09:18 AM   #3
this is me
Registered Member

Thanks Roger.
I had ordered a 6105 and will order my second one. Do you think one on each side is enough or will I need a 6255 shroud?

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Unread 07/30/2014, 11:42 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

With the wide flow shroud that is included with the pumps, it should be plenty.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 07/31/2014, 07:27 PM   #5
wwanthony
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
Will these be enough on a 63"x32"x24"? I plan on placing them only on one side of the tank? I will have SPS dominant and LPS and clams.
I have a ELOS 160XL and I have 3 6105s attached to the overflow. One creates turbulence on the surface. One is mid tank, and the other is for lower water movement. The tank is too beautiful (and expensive) to be full of pumps. The key is your aquascaping. I have no detritus in my tank and all. The pumps on one side produces a circular current around the rocks. The key is your aquascape. If you have an open design it works and looks great. There are no dead spots in my tank. This is a picture from about a year ago. I can post newer pictures from other angles if you like.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.jpg (58.2 KB, 49 views)
wwanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2014, 09:01 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you for the help, Wendell, the best help is always from someone who has done it.

Unread 08/01/2014, 10:47 PM   #7
wwanthony
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
Thank you for the help, Wendell, the best help is always from someone who has done it.
No worries Roger. I truly appreciate what you guys do/build and how you support us. Cheers....

wwanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2014, 09:22 AM   #8
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwanthony View Post
I have a ELOS 160XL and I have 3 6105s attached to the overflow. One creates turbulence on the surface. One is mid tank, and the other is for lower water movement. The tank is too beautiful (and expensive) to be full of pumps. The key is your aquascaping. I have no detritus in my tank and all. The pumps on one side produces a circular current around the rocks. The key is your aquascape. If you have an open design it works and looks great. There are no dead spots in my tank. This is a picture from about a year ago. I can post newer pictures from other angles if you like.

Thanks for the info and the pic of your set up. I agree, the tank is so beautiful and that's why I don't want to cluster it with rocks and wires. My aquascape will be two rock pile midway to the top of the tank. I'm using 100lbs of rocks. I have the rocks somewhat aquascaped since the tank is still a milk shake because of the sand. I will take pics when it's finalized.

I've received the first 6105 yesterday and currently running it in the tank. All I can say is WOW! This is why I went with Tunze. At 24V full blast, the pump is pretty silent and I can see the ripple across the entire 32" width of the tank to the end of the tank. Very impressive. I've ran 2x6055s before on my Elos 70. My second one is scheduled to be delivered this Thursday. I will have them hooked up to a Profilux and tune the wave setting.

Unread 08/05/2014, 09:51 AM   #9
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you!

Unread 08/18/2014, 08:38 AM   #10
this is me
Registered Member

Been running the Tunze for two weeks. At first, the two 6105s were mounted on one side of the tank. Although, it looks perfect for my liking, the flow was not balanced. I had to make the choice between a healthy corals and fish or a happy me. The choice was easy. I organized the cords to and use a sticky tape and ziptie(from the competitor ) the wired to the top of the glass and runs down on the corners. With the black silicone, it hides the wires perfectly.
Pumps were running 80%(controlled by Profilux) but toned down to 60%. Will bump it up when SPS are added and grow into colonies. Right now, there's nothing to dampen the flow they create barespot on the sandbed.