Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/16/2014, 09:43 AM   #76
terrypercula
Registered Member

Once you turn the light back on it probably will reappear. It comes about from excess nutrients and typically is found in dead spots of an aquarium. I assure you your PO4 is high, no kit needed the evidence us right in front of us. Cyano is natures answer to the real problem so until it is solved it will continue to come back. I suggest upping nutrient export easiest way is upping water change frequency and perhaps lesser feedings if possible. Other ways could be skimming, gfo in a reactor, carbon dosing. Gfo and carbon dosing I would consider last resort as they probably aren't entirely necessary in your case. Also I'd consider lowering the position on your voryech enough to gently get the sand bit not so much where it is throwing sand around and maybe upping the percentage of flow by 10% or so.

Current Tank Info: IM Nuvo Fusion 10, Kessil A160, Tunze Osmolator 3155, Ecotech Vortech MP10
terrypercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2014, 04:00 PM   #77
Amatuer21
Registered Member

Ok thanks alot for the reply dave. Im keeping up on water changes right now and will try lowering my power head first. I syphoned out what i could and i dont feed all that much expect i have switched to dry pellets, not sure if that has anything to do with this. I really do think its flow and im just not getting my powerhead in the right spot.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox
Amatuer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2014, 04:50 PM   #78
terrypercula
Registered Member

It could be a lot of things honestly. Pellets usually are fine as long as they don't go uneaten. I feed a mix of flakes and frozen but it all gets skimmed out and rarely is any left over between my fish and CUC. This is an AIO style aquarium correct? Have you cleaned out back chambers of detritus and changed out the filter media(if you're using sponges) recently?

Current Tank Info: IM Nuvo Fusion 10, Kessil A160, Tunze Osmolator 3155, Ecotech Vortech MP10
Unread 07/16/2014, 04:57 PM   #79
Amatuer21
Registered Member

Yes it is an AIO tank. I regularly change out media, filter floss and sponge pads. I also do syphon out the back compartments occasionally when detritus has built up. I just checked them again today during my wc and everything looked good back there.

Unread 07/23/2014, 02:55 PM   #80
Amatuer21
Registered Member

Cant seem to get this cyano under control. Now the two back corners are suffering from lack of water flow. I am having a hard time getting the proper row throughout my tank and i think my rock work is apart of the reason. Do i need to pace another powerhead on the opposite side of the mp10? this mp10 showed be doing the job? Or what?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (31.9 KB, 58 views)

Unread 07/23/2014, 08:41 PM   #81
darienreefs
Registered Member.

i had cyano in my biocube 14 a few months back, i went to lfs and they reccomended this powder stuff and said use the needed amount so i bought it and usd it, sure enough it was all gone by the next morning. looking back on it it doesnt seem like the most natural way of solving things, but it worked so i was happy. sadly had the take the BC down cause i had too many tanks running. It was cause from a lack of flow for certain.

darienreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 07:05 PM   #82
Amatuer21
Registered Member

Getting the perfect flow in this tank is becoming a nightmare. Ive switched the mp10 to the opposite side of where it has been and cyano now appears on the opposite side. I cant seem to figure this out. My rock scape is whats preventing me from getting the flow that my tank needs. No matter where i move the pump to cyano finds a way to build itself. I cant crank the mp10 up all the way due to my tank being mostly softies. Discouraged at this point!!!

Unread 07/31/2014, 07:51 PM   #83
terrypercula
Registered Member

Well that's no good!

Unread 08/01/2014, 07:28 AM   #84
Amatuer21
Registered Member

Pretty frustrating. Have a few options in mind but both require some work and moving things around. Option 1: Remove mp10 and replace with a couple other pumps on opposite sides of the tank to create an even flow each way. Or option 2: Redo rock scape somehow, someway to create room for flow.

Unread 08/01/2014, 07:49 AM   #85
vai6921
Registered Member

I had a similar problem with a cube tank. Try to place the mp10 closer to the edge of one side and tune it to short pulse. It should start to create almost a circular flow. My cyano went away in a matter of days.

vai6921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2014, 07:54 AM   #86
Amatuer21
Registered Member

Ok thanks ill try that out before i do anything else!!! Just place it near a corner?

Unread 11/01/2014, 05:50 PM   #87
Amatuer21
Registered Member

Update

Heres a little update. After nearly taking her down and selling all coral im back at it and happier then ever. Here is a pic of the new progress

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.2 KB, 60 views)

Unread 11/01/2014, 05:52 PM   #88
Amatuer21
Registered Member

Had gotten this giant gold torch lastnight for a price i couldnt resist so here it sits bottom left corner, may decide to move it somewhere else but for now it looks very happy and healthy where its at.

Unread 11/01/2014, 06:41 PM   #89
terrypercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatuer21 View Post
Had gotten this giant gold torch lastnight for a price i couldnt resist so here it sits bottom left corner, may decide to move it somewhere else but for now it looks very happy and healthy where its at.
Very nice! Love gold torch.

Unread 11/01/2014, 06:55 PM   #90
Amatuer21
Registered Member

Thanks alot man

Unread 11/02/2014, 09:02 AM   #91
Lilmatty5dimes
Moved On

Wow what a turn around. Glad to see you didn't throw in the white towel. Tank looks great.

Lilmatty5dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2014, 09:26 AM   #92
Amatuer21
Registered Member

Thank you!!! Me either, i could never stay away from this hobby. I dont know what it is lol.

Unread 03/27/2015, 05:06 PM   #93
Amatuer21
Registered Member

Little update

Everything is doing well and I've conquered the cyano issue. After replacing my mh bulb it seemed to clear right up so i believe that's what was causing all those issues. I got a two head acan frag from a local lfs that I picked up and to my surprise after some time new babies have formed and are looking beautiful. Also picked up a nice size colony of armor of gods i believe for real cheap, here's a few updated pics!! (sorry a bit blurry)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1 copy.jpg (47.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (72.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (56.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (52.8 KB, 21 views)