Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2017, 05:44 PM   #76
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

Sorry if it was mentioned before but is that the Nyos 120 or 160?

Unread 01/12/2017, 04:13 PM   #77
jmiotke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer525XL View Post
Sorry if it was mentioned before but is that the Nyos 120 or 160?
I went with the Nyos 160. It was so loud when I first got it but after running it for a week it is now dead silent. The venturi intake plugs quickly with deposits...so when I empty the cup I also pull it off to clean it out. Not sure if this is normal or not.

jmiotke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 09:11 PM   #78
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiotke View Post
I went with the Nyos 160. It was so loud when I first got it but after running it for a week it is now dead silent. The venturi intake plugs quickly with deposits...so when I empty the cup I also pull it off to clean it out. Not sure if this is normal or not.
Thank you. How is the finish on the black stand, glassy or matte? Trying to decide on white or black. Black will match better with my furniture but the white looks really nice too.

Unread 01/13/2017, 06:34 AM   #79
GXPKY
Registered Member

I may be wrong but the critter with the red eyes on the sides looks like an isopod, some can be bad, others aren't.

-Dennis

Current Tank Info: 240 Gallon Mixed Reef, 8x2x2, 3x MP40w ES, ASM G6 Skimmer, 90 gallon sump, Bulk Reef Supply GFO/Carbon, 3x 250w MH, 4x 96w PC 460nm actinics.
GXPKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 08:47 AM   #80
jmiotke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer525XL View Post
Thank you. How is the finish on the black stand, glassy or matte? Trying to decide on white or black. Black will match better with my furniture but the white looks really nice too.
I would say the stand feels glossy to the touch but looks more matte finished.

Unread 01/13/2017, 11:22 AM   #81
madreefer2013
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ches View Post
Are you dosing AF 1,2,3? I thought about having mine dosed but was worried about being able to see what was left in the containers. Don't want to run out and not know it and don't feel like opening them up either.
Where did you get the white clips to hold the pipes? Thanks,

madreefer2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 12:08 PM   #82
scottmccray
Registered Member

Any fish or corals in there yet?

scottmccray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2017, 05:46 AM   #83
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

Any updates?

Reefer525XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 11:23 AM   #84
br88dy
Registered Member

I'm sub'ed!

br88dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 03:01 PM   #85
jmiotke
Registered Member

Been struggling the last few months. Wont bore with the details.

So after a lot of work this week, I feel like I've got things heading in the right direction. Reset up the coral qt tank in the 20 gallon and added more automation. The blackout on the display tank was successful. Rewired everything on the display tank to make it safer and easier to maintain. Added automatic water changer and a bunch of safety measures using float valves and float switches hooked up to the controller. New fish finished tank transfer method today successfully. Freshwater dipped them to kill and flukes and will prazipro treat them and then add to the display tank soon.

Here are some photos to show all the bad that has happened over the last 3 months.

038A4805.jpg by Jeff Miotke, on Flickr

038A4807.jpg by Jeff Miotke, on Flickr

038A4809.jpg by Jeff Miotke, on Flickr

Unread 02/03/2017, 04:16 PM   #86
scottmccray
Registered Member

Sorry to hear you have had some trouble. Looks like you've done a lot of work to get things going in the right direction. I hope to see some progress soon. I am just getting started on my own 525xl build and will start a thread on it soon.

Unread 02/05/2017, 05:29 PM   #87
jmiotke
Registered Member

Spent a few hours today rewiring the cabinet. It wasn't done very well the first time and was dangerous. I had issues with the power adapters melting the adhesive velcro and falling on top of other wires.

Made sure that I have drip loops everywhere. Power strips are up top. Everything is strapped down and not going anywhere. All equipment can be removed without ripping everything out easily using velcro.

r

Unread 02/05/2017, 07:01 PM   #88
Dxpert
Registered Member

Amazing build! Love the electronics layout.

Dxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 01:22 PM   #89
jmiotke
Registered Member

First fish through the TTM QT process. Melanurus Wrasse. He is getting acquainted with the clowns. Time to get 3 new fish.

Unread 02/10/2017, 02:31 PM   #90
jmiotke
Registered Member

I really struggled getting things going and after talking to a few people and reading a ton I have things turning around. I nearly killed all the coral i bought last fall. I reset up the 20 gallon as my coral QT and set aside the 10 gallon.

Here is before and after. The time between the photos is only 15 days. Knowledge is key and taking the correct actions sooner than later is critical. Ill probably lose most if not all my sps by delaying and trying to make changes slowly. Other corals are rebounding and showing positive signs after just days. Most of these were completed closed up and looked dead for the last two months.

After really being bummed out the last several weeks because of dead fish in QT and dying corals I am now looking forward to seeing my tanks in the morning. Still have a long way to go.

Unread 02/13/2017, 11:15 AM   #91
jmiotke
Registered Member

Spent sometime on the aquascape this weekend.

Unread 02/13/2017, 12:51 PM   #92
Dropped
Registered Member

Awesome setup and digging that scape!

Dropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2017, 01:52 PM   #93
scottmccray
Registered Member

That looks great. Did you glue the rock together?

Unread 02/13/2017, 08:14 PM   #94
jmiotke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmccray View Post
That looks great. Did you glue the rock together?

Thanks yall. I used the fauna marin aquascape beads. They work really well.

Unread 02/14/2017, 04:11 PM   #95
charlesgage
Registered Member

Looking great! Man I wish I could do a reasonable T5 and LED Mix on my 170 without breaking the bank

You need some bigger weights under your QT. Get swole!

charlesgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 05:02 PM   #96
br88dy
Registered Member

Hey, jmiotke. Your builds are always super clean and aesthetically pleasing. If you have some time you should take a look at Joćo Basso's style of aquariums. He's able to create a lot of flow with re-circulation pumps on the bottom of the tank, and thus eliminating the need for ugly pumps in the display tank. I'm doing what I can with my own new build to emulate his style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlklYbJkTZ0&t=121s

Most of the video is him explaining his horizontal algae scrubber sump, but towards the end you can see how clean his display looks without any internal pumps. Just food for thought!

Unread 02/18/2017, 11:17 AM   #97
jmiotke
Registered Member

Thanks br88dy. You are right the gyre's drive me crazy. They are just really ugly and take away from the tank. I really like what this guy did. Thanks for sharing.

Unread 03/19/2017, 12:40 PM   #98
br88dy
Registered Member

This is my favorite build on RC! Anything worth sharing that's happened in the last month?

Unread 04/03/2017, 03:50 PM   #99
jmiotke
Registered Member

LONG Update BUT Please READ as I need YOUR help!

Thought Id update with a full dump of what I've experienced over the last 6 months.

Ill start with at this point I AM SO DAM frustrated I want to throw in the towel. And even worse my wife wants me to bag it call it a failure and sell it all off.

The crux is of the issue is that the water chemistry will not stabilize. Something is very very wrong.

Since Ive set this tank up it burns 1 to 2 dkh per day. Yes per day. With NO LIVESTOCK that would consume it.

No coral.
No coralline.
A few fish.

I have spoken with many folks, read everything and I mean everything on the reef forums regarding this and NOBODY can explain to me what is going on.

So. Normally this would be explained by precipitation. Look at the glass, heaters, pumps, sump and check the sand. NONE of these areas have shown any signs of precipitation. I drip it in slowly on the order of a ml or 2 every 15 minutes. No signs of precipitation anywhere

Once added alkalinity measurements agree with the calculators.

Ive tried the following to hit my target numbers of dKh of 7.5 to 8 and Calcium of 420 to 430ppm:

Increase dosing. This just increases consumption/precipitation.
Decrease or stop dosing. This results in the dKh bottoming out around 5.
No dosing for 3 weeks to allow for any CaCO3 nucleation sites to be poisoned and no longer precipitate.
Different types of dosing: 2 part (both recipes using carbonate and bicarbonate), balling method, tropic marin bio calcium
90% water change to reset
Changed Salt mixes

Nothing has made any difference. Same consumption. The calcium and alkalinity just disappear over night every single day.

I have a 20 gallon frag tank that I pictured previously. This is where my corals are and they are doing OK. The Alkalinity and Calcium levels in this tank are solid. No daily swings. Normal consumption of 2 to 4 ml/week.

So I've looked at the differences between the tanks and the difference outside of equipment (pretty sure I can eliminate the equipment from consuming alkalinity/Ca as at this point it would be a solid block of concrete.) is that the display tank has sand and rock.

The sand is Caribsea special grade live sand. It looks normal. It behaves normally. It has no clumping. I stir it and nothing out of the ordinary happens just a bit of detritus kicks up. No signs of anything wrong.

The rock is Caribsea life rock. It is the manmade purple stuff. Ive been closely observing everything in the last few weeks and noticed that the rock is no longer purple. It is encrusted with grey/greyish green/brown. I tried brushing them off and this does nothing so this coating is certainly attached. Is it possible that the rock is precipitating the alkalinity/calcium?

I reached out to the LFS and they never heard of such a thing but quickly qualified it with they don't know of anyone who did a full tank build with this rock. They were kind enough to reach out to Caribsea. Caribsea of course denied that it could be the rock causing the issue.

So I'm left with a mystery and a tank that has very unstable water conditions. Ive tested coral in the tank and it either barely hangs on or dies. I'm stuck. Its been 6 months and I cant put any coral in my REEF tank.

What would you do? Looking for any and all advice.

Unread 04/03/2017, 04:00 PM   #100
roostertech
Registered Member

What is your magnesium at?

roostertech is offline   Reply With Quote