Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/30/2017, 01:26 PM   #26
LQT
Registered Member

If I get it before the ARKSC meeting at Joe's house, I'll bring it for you to take a look at... Either way, I'll post pictures.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 04:00 PM   #27
EvenFurther
Registered Member

Modular Marine is great. I've bought 2 overflows, both are perfect. They now make sumps too.

Unread 06/01/2017, 10:42 AM   #28
WLachnit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
It's a function of how high you drill the holes, not so much the actual overflow. Also the amount of water going through will dictate water level.
Agree. I have two 20" Synergy overflows and I can change my DT water level by an inch or so just by increasing the flow.

Last edited by WLachnit; 06/01/2017 at 10:51 AM.
WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2017, 09:52 PM   #29
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Question about how folks have mounted the external box. Mine comes with a gasket per through-bulkhead that goes between the outside of the tank and the external box. Seems to me that this would mean the external box would torque slightly given that the top is proud of the tank but the bottom is not. Perhaps not material, but also could give rise to leaks. I'm toying with adhering a strip of gasket material to the bottom of the eternal box so it sits perfectly parallel to the back of the tank. Has anyone bothered with something like this?

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2017, 10:41 PM   #30
fishresponse
Registered Member

I've only used the synergy and works great. Of course there have been tweaks but very nice. I have the 20" on my 265g. Had to use the stencil putting it as high as I could so not to have the water line below the trim.

265g w/ 20" synergy overflow box
Hamilton Cebu MH/T5 fixture w/ 250w Radium bulbs
SPS/LPS mix | 30g (long) refugium with cheato | 40g sump
fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 05:01 AM   #31
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Quote:
Question about how folks have mounted the external box. Mine comes with a gasket per through-bulkhead that goes between the outside of the tank and the external box. Seems to me that this would mean the external box would torque slightly given that the top is proud of the tank but the bottom is not. Perhaps not material, but also could give rise to leaks. I'm toying with adhering a strip of gasket material to the bottom of the eternal box so it sits perfectly parallel to the back of the tank. Has anyone bothered with something like this?
The drain piping coming off the bottom of the overflow needs to be supported and secured. The weight of the piping should not hang off of the bottom of the overflow. This way there are no concerns about torquing the external box.

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 10:58 AM   #32
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishresponse View Post
I've only used the synergy and works great. Of course there have been tweaks but very nice. I have the 20" on my 265g. Had to use the stencil putting it as high as I could so not to have the water line below the trim.
Got a link to your build, Andy?

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 10:45 PM   #33
fishresponse
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
Got a link to your build, Andy?
Unfortunately I do not. I do have some pics I could post. I'll have to pull them up

265g w/ 20" synergy overflow box
Hamilton Cebu MH/T5 fixture w/ 250w Radium bulbs
SPS/LPS mix | 30g (long) refugium with cheato | 40g sump
fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2017, 10:42 AM   #34
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

My MM is still dry, but I've added a couple of optical level sensors so absolutely nothing can go wrong, ever .........

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 06/14/2017, 07:31 AM   #35
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Can ALL of the overflows being discussed handle the vigorous wave type action of a shallow water high energy type reef display?

Unread 06/14/2017, 06:24 PM   #36
reefboy1994
Registered Member

I purchased one of the Eshopps Slim overflows, the smaller one. Will be drilling my new 30L next week or the week after to install the overflow.

Wee bit nervouse without all the reviews, but I will share my experience here!

The tank is rimless btw, any tips? pm em to me!

40 Breeder Mixed Reef

Current Tank Info: 30 Gallon Rimless -- Mainly Softie tank and a few 'Nems
reefboy1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2017, 02:12 PM   #37
s2k750
Registered Member

Two 2nd generations synergies with no problems. If you run high flow make sure you have the pipes in the back tall or you'll hear a waterfall.

s2k750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2017, 02:17 PM   #38
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k750 View Post
Two 2nd generations synergies with no problems. If you run high flow make sure you have the pipes in the back tall or you'll hear a waterfall.
Great tip. Thanks!

Unread 09/14/2017, 07:55 AM   #39
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

My 'entry' .....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0655.jpg (71.0 KB, 149 views)

Unread 09/14/2017, 11:18 AM   #40
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

Nice and clean ca10re!

Last edited by sh4rkbyt3; 09/14/2017 at 11:23 AM.
sh4rkbyt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 07:36 PM   #41
iamchadster
Registered Member

Does anyone know if there is any kind of standard or similarity between the two or three through-type overflows that are out there. I own an Eclipse L and share similar observations as others, but if I ever wanted to change to the Shadowbox etc is that even possible? I guess I'm asking if the drilled holes/templates are unique or is there any kind of standard or am I stuck with the Eshopps forever?

iamchadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 08:40 AM   #42
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
Does anyone know if there is any kind of standard or similarity between the two or three through-type overflows that are out there. I own an Eclipse L and share similar observations as others, but if I ever wanted to change to the Shadowbox etc is that even possible? I guess I'm asking if the drilled holes/templates are unique or is there any kind of standard or am I stuck with the Eshopps forever?
I replaced my current overflow box with a Modular Marine unit. I already had the holes in my aquarium from the previous overflow box. Modular Marine made my new box to my current hole locations ( I supplied the dimensions to them). It fit perfect and is a really well made overflow.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 09:12 AM   #43
Radioheadx14
Registered Member

I have the Eshopps version and it was easy to install and is dead silent when run like a herbie with a gate valve. I added PVC drain strainer to keep the gate valve from clogging. One thing I don't like is the back section is clear, so I have algae growing in it and has bowed out a little, but it stays clean enough. I am happy with my purchase!

I replaced a glass-holes overflow with an eshopps and they matched close enough to wear the water level didn't change too much.

Radioheadx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 10:00 AM   #44
jacksonpt
Registered Member

nevermind... don't want to hijack. I'll make my own thread.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 10:28 PM   #45
iamchadster
Registered Member

I guess I was kinda interested in the Shadow Overflow by Reef Synergy.

Unread 11/03/2017, 10:31 PM   #46
iamchadster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioheadx14 View Post
I have the Eshopps version and it was easy to install and is dead silent when run like a herbie with a gate valve. I added PVC drain strainer to keep the gate valve from clogging. One thing I don't like is the back section is clear, so I have algae growing in it and has bowed out a little, but it stays clean enough. I am happy with my purchase!

I replaced a glass-holes overflow with an eshopps and they matched close enough to wear the water level didn't change too much.
I emailed Eshopps about the bowing issue. I have had that occur as well. Really kind of annoying and I am not sure why. I have very little pressure on the overflow by the plumbing so it makes no sense. I also changed the way the gaskets are arranged as their directions do not make sense. In fact a new youtube video Eshopps posted shows a different gasket arrangement.

Unread 11/04/2017, 07:13 AM   #47
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
My 'entry' .....
Water flowing yet? How's it holding up?
Torque can cause external boxes to bow if drain lines aren't properly supported but it looks like you are good to go with that straight drop and attachment to your stand. It's more of a challenge if you want drain lines to turn 90 degrees away from the aquarium!

Unread 11/04/2017, 07:34 PM   #48
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yes, new tank with overflow has been running for a week. So far so good. What an absolute pleasure compared to the stock corner overflows on a RR tank.

Unread 11/19/2017, 08:06 PM   #49
NewbReefer316
Registered Member

I've got 2 Eshopps mediums on a pair of 50g low boy frag tanks. I used the included template and ended up with the overflows drilled too low Using some acrylic scraps across the weir in the front in order to get the right water height in the display. Using a gate valve on the main drain I can get the drains almost silent but I'm getting a decent amount of salt creep around the lids and they are starting to warp a little.

NewbReefer316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 10:00 PM   #50
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I just mounted the exhopps mini onto a 29. Template does seem too low for the size of the slots. I mounted mine with the top rim of the internal skim box right at the top rim of the tank.