Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2017, 07:49 PM   #1
dirk_brijs
Registered Member

massive hair algae outbreak

New tank set up which went through the cycle.
Guess after the cycle the Hair algae kicked in and went crazy.
main reason I think for the outburst is the death rock used in the tank which might be leaching some Phosphates I presume and the open build of the tank with natural light on all sides especially one side which has a frontal sun exposure in the mornings.....
Tried to fight it first with just adding some Phosphate remover but that clearly didnt stop the invasion so it went all out of hand....
decided to complete black out now....been 3 days now so will go check today of anything died of by now.....

Last edited by dirk_brijs; 11/12/2017 at 07:59 PM.
dirk_brijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 08:03 PM   #2
truffle22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk_brijs View Post
New tank set up which went through the cycle.
Guess after the cycle the Hair algae kicked in and went crazy.
main reason I think for the outburst is the death rock used in the tank which might be leaching some Phosphates I presume and the open build of the tank with natural light on all sides especially one side which has a frontal sun exposure in the mornings.....
Tried to fight it first with just adding some Phosphate remover but that clearly didnt stop the invasion so it went all out of hand....
decided to complete black out now....been 3 days now so will go check today of anything died of by now.....
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...psy9bhngrz.jpg
Try no sunlight and use artificial lighting like LEDs or T5. It sounds counterintuitive but the sun is actually your enemy. I had a saltwater Puffer fish tank and it was packed with hair algae I could not keep it under control even when I tried finally gave up on the tank for some reason Sun and algee love each other

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

truffle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 08:46 PM   #3
James404
I <3 Acros

+1 on no sunlight. Hair algae is definitely part of the cycle but that looks like a lot for sure. I always use turbo snails, they mow through that stuff in no time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Unread 11/12/2017, 11:18 PM   #4
dirk_brijs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffle22 View Post
Try no sunlight and use artificial lighting like LEDs or T5. It sounds counterintuitive but the sun is actually your enemy. I had a saltwater Puffer fish tank and it was packed with hair algae I could not keep it under control even when I tried finally gave up on the tank for some reason Sun and algee love each other

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Not that we wanne use sunlight...tank is set up in the middle of a galery style shop with 2 huge windows as walls so not much we can do to stop the sunlight....the tank is covered with 4 LED lights....what i might do though is during height of day turn of all white and only supplement with 100% blues to break natural K levels.

Unread 11/16/2017, 01:44 PM   #5
DVader
Registered Member

I went through this when I started my 75G and blacking out my tank for 5 days did no good. Check your make up water and I used Phosguard using a remote filter canister....took about a month (give or take) to get ride of it but it is part of starting up a new tank.

Good luck

Current Tank: 75 Gal. Mix Reef, 29Gal Sump/Refugium, Tek Light T-5 324w, ASM-2 Skimmer, 1200gph Close Loop, Dosing 2 part

Soon to have Ca Reactor, 2-250w 20000K MH, VorTech MP40
DVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 06:04 PM   #6
dirk_brijs
Registered Member

after 4 days of complete black out (day 3 and 4 I switched on the UV lights of my LEDs)
every day adding Phosremover.

Unread 11/21/2017, 02:16 AM   #7
rlhanks
Registered Member

After watching the BRS series on refugiums and cheto it's open up some interesting questions. If you haven't seen it I would highly recommend watching and it should solve your problems. Do you have a fuge? If the fuge is run right it should consume the nutrients needed for other algea to grow. Most interesting point Ryan makes is that we spend thousands of dollars on high tech lights for the display and get puzzled when our hardware store CFL over the fuge can't keep up with the display.

Most equipment are DIY

Current Tank Info: 5'x2'x2', BLDC7, maxspect gyre250, T5HO and LED's, Home made welded steel tubular stand wrapped in wood work.
rlhanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 09:18 AM   #8
dirk_brijs
Registered Member

great results after 7 days complete blacking out the tank.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/gx1ig5ysp/][img]https://s20.postimg.org/gx1ig5ysp/23758195_10155411271143778

Unread 11/23/2017, 12:30 PM   #9
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Nice

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 07:54 PM   #10
rlhanks
Registered Member

when blacking out, what do you do with the livestock? do they stay in the tank during the days worth of darkness?

Most equipment are DIY

Current Tank Info: 5'x2'x2', BLDC7, maxspect gyre250, T5HO and LED's, Home made welded steel tubular stand wrapped in wood work.
Unread 11/24/2017, 05:01 AM   #11
dirk_brijs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhanks View Post
when blacking out, what do you do with the livestock? do they stay in the tank during the days worth of darkness?
Yep everything stayed in the tank
I even had 3 anemones inside who came out well.
Only have clowns and Blue Green Chromis for fish right now

Unread 11/24/2017, 05:09 AM   #12
rlhanks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk_brijs View Post
Yep everything stayed in the tank
I even had 3 anemones inside who came out well.
Only have clowns and Blue Green Chromis for fish right now
My daughter has a 12g nano that is just as bad with the hair algea. For obvious reasons we don't pay enough attention to it, so that's gotta change if we're going to keep it. . Shes was feeding pellets and I'm sure was way too much causing a majority of the problem. Switched to frozen food, the crabs and snails can clean that up easily. No real room for a fuge so I will do more water changes. Been reading about totally darkening the tank to kill off what is there but never really read what to do with the swimming creatures. Inverts and coral wouldn't be a problem but fish seem to be a different story.

Most equipment are DIY