Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2017, 06:28 PM   #1
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

Turf Scrubber v Chaeto Reactor ?

I believe a turf scrubber is more effective but is it a whole lot more effective?

I ask as I've managed to make my system near silent, I bought a Santa Monica Surf 2X scrubber 2nd hand from someone in the UK and I had a good bit of Ulva algae to start it, now the bubbling noise isn't really audible as the algae and the design subdues it, but it's the air pump.. I bought an Eheim 400 which after some research is probably the quietest air pump that offers 5lpm flow. The problem is, it's the noisest thing in my whole setup! It's not that noisy, but still bugs me a bit.

So.. I was considering a chaeto reactor because it runs off a simple 500l/hr water pump which is silent.

What's everyones thoughts?

Thanks

Silfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 12:39 AM   #2
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

My understanding after reading lots about algae turf scrubbers is that yes, they are much more effective. I will be doing a test myself, as I have set an ATS to be ran along a small refugium with proper lighting on par and spectrum.

Ive read ATS's will starve other types of algae, showing to be more aggressive on nutrient reduction. I like a refugium for the purpose of keeping pods, and allowing higher PH.

Will try to run an ATS during the day and refugium at night on a high bioload system.

Chaeto reactors are the new trend, I think larger units with intense lighting would also do a good job.

Unread 11/23/2017, 03:38 PM   #3
Crowed
Registered Member

Maybe you can try to make a box for air pump first, see if you can supress noise from it. Styrofoam is much cheaper then new reactor

Crowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 04:27 PM   #4
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowed View Post
Maybe you can try to make a box for air pump first, see if you can supress noise from it. Styrofoam is much cheaper then new reactor
I was considering that but I thought it might be too warm with it being on 24/7.

Silfer is offline   Reply With Quote