Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2018, 08:23 AM   #1
ColbyWade
Registered Member

Specific equipment questions regarding my new 45 gal reef tank.

This is my first saltwater tank. I have spent hours upon hours researching and watching videos. I have also been to literally every fish store in the DFW metroplex. I spend a lot of time asking lots of questions so that I could determine who seemed the most credible and experienced before I made the decision on which store will be my go to. I think I have a firm grasp on what I need to do to be successful, but insider information can only help!
I purchased a JBJ 45 gallon rimless. I put 30-35 lbs of live sand, and 40 lbs of fiji live rock. I started with 25 lbs, and a few days later added 15 more when my LFS had a seal issue with a main display and had to break down. The 15 was in a very well established tank for the last 8 years. I have had water in my tank with the pumps running for just over a week now. Is it time to start testing to see if my cycle is complete?
Due to my budget I have not bought a heater yet, but know which one to get. Looks like it's only about $40 and I plan to pick it up this week.
Now on to my main question, I need a light. I have been told about 5 different lights are the "perfect light for my tank." I want the ability to grow all types of coral, and want really good lighting, but don't have the budget to spend $600-800. I was told the AI prime would be perfect, but the paramaters seem like it wont penetrate deep or wide enough. The guy at my LFS, who I want to listen to, told me the prime at first, but now says it wont cut it. My tank is 26.5 inches wide, and both the prime and the hydras say they have a max spread of 24 inches and a recommended spread of only 18. I have budgeted the money for the hydra 26 and the flex mount because my research tells me this is a winner. I think I'm looking at about $450. I did see a DIY mount on YouTube that was made from cheap TV wall mount they bought on amazon. The functionality seemed very convenient.

If anyone would like to give their input or critique my strategy, I would seriously appreciate it.

Btw I tried to upload pictures, but it keeps saying upload failed. I am doing this from my Samsung gs9. Can anyone help with this too?

ColbyWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 08:39 AM   #2
ColbyWade
Registered Member

I think I figured out the pictures.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Unread 08/19/2018, 09:18 AM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I use VISPARSPECTRA 165 watt LED at 160 delivered by Amazon and that's CDN dollars.
For 24 months now, I grow over 50 corals including SPS and maxi clams.
I only have it set at 30% white, 60% blue....maybe do a search and see what you think.

I'm happy...

Oh and yes, if you have Old live rock, your cycle likley finished...but test please..

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 11:56 AM   #4
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Even with well established rock it can take a long time to properly cycle a tank. A properly cycled tank will have lots of bacteria throughout, including deep in the sand bed, and some of these bacteria can take months to develop.

I am certainly not saying you should wait months before adding anything to your system, but a week, under any circumstance other than a transplant of both live rock AND sand from an established system, is too fast for my liking.

As for the lighting, Have you considered 2 x AI primes instead of the Hydra 26. The lights would cost $50 more, but you would save that more than that on the mounts as the mounts for the Prime are cheaper. This way you get the light of the 26 with the spread you want. You would also be able to keep ANYTHING under them.

Just my $0.02.

Unread 08/19/2018, 12:17 PM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

You've done all the research but not tested the tank for ammonia, nitrites or nitrates? Personally I would add a dead shrimp from the grocery store and see what happens to ammonia.

As for lights, it is all personal preference and each light type has its pros and cons. The best light for SPS would be, IMHO, MH or t5.

Personally I have done LED and am now all T5.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 12:53 PM   #6
ColbyWade
Registered Member

I have not bought a test kit yet because I was assuming it would take at least 3 weeks to complete the cycle. That was before I knew I would be getting the previously established rock. I definitely plan to test the water prior to adding anything that is alive to the tank. I am not aware of the dead shrimp method. What is the purpose?

Unread 08/19/2018, 12:58 PM   #7
ColbyWade
Registered Member

LPSOUTH I have been told thaler prime won't penetrate deep enough through the water.

Unread 08/19/2018, 12:58 PM   #8
ColbyWade
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyWade View Post
LPSOUTH I have been told that the prime won't penetrate deep enough through the water.

Unread 08/19/2018, 01:10 PM   #9
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
LPSOUTH I have been told thaler prime won't penetrate deep enough through the water.

If your tank was deeper, I could understand, but @ 19" it would be plenty. I had 2 over my 40b (18") and never turned them up beyond 50%. They have an 80 degree lens which helps the light/PAR punch deeper into the tank. I would be comfortable using Primes upto at least 24" depth.

Having 2 of them, you will have a good amount of overlap which will result in even more penetration and PAR. If a Hydra 26 has the penetration, the Primes will as well. It is literally two primes in a single fixture, you just get better spread with the primes because they are further apart.

Unread 08/19/2018, 02:37 PM   #10
ColbyWade
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
If your tank was deeper, I could understand, but @ 19" it would be plenty. I had 2 over my 40b (18") and never turned them up beyond 50%. They have an 80 degree lens which helps the light/PAR punch deeper into the tank. I would be comfortable using Primes upto at least 24" depth.

Having 2 of them, you will have a good amount of overlap which will result in even more penetration and PAR. If a Hydra 26 has the penetration, the Primes will as well. It is literally two primes in a single fixture, you just get better spread with the primes because they are further apart.
That's a great point. Will two primes sync together? I should be more direct with my question. Can I control them both at the same time with my phone? Or do I have to program them independently?

Unread 08/19/2018, 02:50 PM   #11
Cliving1
Registered Member

I have 2 primes synced on my phone. Also, in invest in a heater, or two. As hkgar said, check your parameters. Looking good

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 03:55 PM   #12
ColbyWade
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
I have 2 primes synced on my phone. Also, in invest in a heater, or two. As hkgar said, check your parameters. Looking good
Thanks for the update. At my LFS it looks like I will get a 150w heater. The dude said it makes no difference while I'm cycling.

Unread 08/19/2018, 04:23 PM   #13
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

You use the myAI app on your phone. It automatically sets one Prime as the "Parent" and one as the "Child". Any adjustment you make is automatically applied to both Primes. It is a pretty easy system and software to learn and use.

Unread 08/19/2018, 04:40 PM   #14
ColbyWade
Registered Member

Once my levels reflect a completed cycle, I plan to do a 50% water change. That same day I plan to add about 8 hermits and 8 snails, a fire shrimp, and an emerald crab. My tank is 45 gallons. Is that too much to add at one time? After that, how long should I wait before adding a fish and a coral?

Unread 08/19/2018, 05:43 PM   #15
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Go ahead on the add, corals consume nitrate and phosphate so have fun, the caution here is more about stability in parameters, they must mimick NSW values consistently with little fluctuation, corals hate change. I did not add corals until all 8 parameters were on point for 8 weeks tested weekly. After that, each one I put in opened right away and remains that way for 24 months now.

Now fish, they crap that must be processed. For me, 1 a month because I QT for 30 days then add that one to DT, add new one for QT and so on fir 7 months. I started with least agressive and worked my way forward to most, this is safest, but does not guarantee squabble. Shrimps I pop right in.
I don't use crabs at all cause I don't trust them.

By this method, I kept my stability right on point, no change in nitrate (5ppm) and phosphate (.04) which corals need to survive.

Unread 08/19/2018, 05:51 PM   #16
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

When I setup my tank, I actually decided to fully stock all of my fish before adding any corals. This allowed me to ensure that my nitrates stayed low and all other params had time to stabilize. I now have about 10 corals, a BTA, and a Haddoni carpet anemone that are all doing amazing. All well inflated with great polyp extension.

Unread 08/19/2018, 08:43 PM   #17
Ccoffel81
Registered Member

I guess I’m one of the few still using metal halide I would put a 150w hqi with electronic ballast. That’s my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ccoffel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 08:48 PM   #18
Ccoffel81
Registered Member

the bulb I would use

Ccoffel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 08:57 PM   #19
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccoffel81 View Post
I guess I’m one of the few still using metal halide I would put a 150w hqi with electronic ballast. That’s my .02

I loved my MH systems and I would still use one if....

I didn't live in Arizona. It is a battle to keep electric costs down to begin with, but add the consumption from running and cooling a MH lit tank, and I think you see where this is going.

I chose to switch to LED because I don't have to worry about the heat they put off and for the controlability.

Unread 08/19/2018, 09:37 PM   #20
ColbyWade
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Go ahead on the add, corals consume nitrate and phosphate so have fun, the caution here is more about stability in parameters, they must mimick NSW values consistently with little fluctuation, corals hate change. I did not add corals until all 8 parameters were on point for 8 weeks tested weekly. After that, each one I put in opened right away and remains that way for 24 months now.

Now fish, they crap that must be processed. For me, 1 a month because I QT for 30 days then add that one to DT, add new one for QT and so on fir 7 months. I started with least agressive and worked my way forward to most, this is safest, but does not guarantee squabble. Shrimps I pop right in.
I don't use crabs at all cause I don't trust them.

By this method, I kept my stability right on point, no change in nitrate (5ppm) and phosphate (.04) which corals need to survive.
NSW? I wont be getting my light until around the first of the month. After that I plan on starting with something basic as far as a coral. I like the look of the carpet anemone. Would you suggest that as a good starter?
Do you suggest getting a coral or two before the fish?
If I am getting my fish from my LFS, where I am getting everything else, is it necessary to quarantine? If so, I don't guess I get the purpose in the first place.

Unread 08/19/2018, 09:48 PM   #21
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
NSW? Natural Sea Water I wont be getting my light until around the first of the month. After that I plan on starting with something basic as far as a coral. I like the look of the carpet anemone. Would you suggest that as a good starter? NO, not an anemone to be tried by new hobbyists! Carpet anemones are on of the most difficult and sensitive things we keep. If you want a good beginner anemone, look at the bubble tips. Your tank should still be well established before adding it the system though.
Do you suggest getting a coral or two before the fish? This is totally up to you. As long as your params stay stable, add them when you choose.
If I am getting my fish from my LFS, where I am getting everything else, is it necessary to quarantine? If so, I don't guess I get the purpose in the first place. Yes, you should always QT. All good LFS keep their corals separate from there fish. Many people also QT their corals and inverts. If you get a fish with ich or several other issues and introduce it into the tank without QT, it is much more difficult and frustrating to fix the issue later. That being said, I have lost more fish to QT than to illness (by a long shot),so I do not QT. I accept that I may be inviting trouble into my system. A risk I am willing to take.

Unread 08/20/2018, 06:36 AM   #22
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Thanks Lpsouth1978, fully agree with you.

It's much better (and cheaper) to become an expert in making, maintaining, and deploying saltwater prior to anything going in the tank. Take your time, if you make sure you have stability in all 8 parameters, you will be much much happier in the end, or you can read the 100's if posts here monthly of what happens if you don't.

Unread 08/20/2018, 06:38 AM   #23
Rover88
Registered Member

*squint*

You didn't buy a heater? What is the temperature of the tank?

Also....

What is giving you flow in the tank right now?

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 06:40 AM   #24
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
is it necessary to quarantine? If so, I don't guess I get the purpose in the first place.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. YES.

I made this mistake when I started out last year. I told myself if I just bought all my stuff from the same guy, I'd be good right?

Nope. I got Ich. And Pyramid snails.

The point of quarantining is to buffer your main display tank from having any parasites, diseases, or unwanted things getting into it. You can NEVER trust someone elses quarantine process, only your own.

Your choice on whether to do it or not. I sincerely wish I had.

(My Fallow period ends today. I just finished nearly three months of quarantining and treating my fish seperate from my display, while running the display with no fish, to treat Ich.)

EDIT: Your live rock, for example, would have brought whatever things were in that tank into your tank. Any good, and any bad. It doesn't mean you shouldn't quarantine going forwards, because some things are fish specific.

Last edited by Rover88; 08/20/2018 at 07:05 AM.
Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 09:28 AM   #25
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Quote:

It looks like you have already decided, but the prime hd has the same pucks as the hydra. You can spread them anyway you like to avoid shading. Two prime hd will have the same power as one hydra 26. DO NOT GET THEM WET. Not even a slight bit of the corner. Mine dipped about half an inch of the board in the water and fried it. This is pretty much true of any light, but I have had t5 fuxtures fall half in a tank and still work.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote