Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2015, 10:23 PM   #1
TheEndIsNeigh
Registered Member

Sump right next to tank w/o drilling?

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas, forums, or directions they could point me in for what I'm trying to accomplish. I've been interested in adding a refugium to my current nano system. I have a 10g IM Nuvo with the stock skkye light, stock pump. I have it on a dresser that has enough room to put another 5 or 10g right next to it that could be a nice refugium. My space is a little limited in my current residence, so that's the only option I really have. I've never set up a sump of any sorts, so I'm sorts of a total noob. I'm confident in my abilities to figure it out if pointed in the right direction, I'm a jr. Maintenance Tech for a college campus, I have some experience in plumbing and power tools. :P

If it's at all possible, I was hoping to get this figured out without drilling the nuvo, and without a high chance of pumping water all over the place. I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks for safety. I was also thinking it'd look pretty neat if the refugium was a second nuvo aquarium right next to it. If the system would benefit from the other tank being shorter, a standard 5-10, I would definitely compromise. I imagine there's a good way to make use of the nuvo's build in tiny sump system in the back to get this done.

Does anyone have any magic bullets, or am I asking a bit much of the system? Looking forward to ideas! Even if they're not exactly what I had in mind.

TheEndIsNeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 01:33 PM   #2
rosterv
Registered Member

I would like to get in on this as well! Basically to add a sump or refugium without drilling into your existing tank?

Some sort of siphon line into a second tank that is not as full, and pumping back into your main tank?

rosterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 02:25 PM   #3
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

So if you aren't going to drill the DT you'll have to pump the water out to the refugium and pump it back to the DT. This is tricky. Getting two pumps to stay perfectly equal in flow is difficult. Without float switches and some type of controller there would be no feedback loop to stop either pump from causing a flood.

If the refugium could be higher than the DT, then you could pump up out of the DT and gravity flow back to the DT. More like a tank and sump situation with the DT being the sump of the refugium. Do I have you completely confused yet?

Unread 09/16/2015, 03:11 PM   #4
FishyFishy69
Registered Member

IMO, you only have two options. A hang on back refugium like the CPR.

OR

A gravity system that is higher than your Display Tank. Add a pump from the filter section of your tank that flows to a higher sump/fuge that will gravity drain back into your display.

Messing with tuning feed and return pumps is just a recipe for disaster and/or water all over your house. If you're worried about drilling glass, then you could just use a plastic container/tote that would be easier to drill.

Attached Images
File Type: png GRAVITY SUMP.png (14.0 KB, 32 views)
Unread 09/17/2015, 07:56 AM   #5
Rubasu
Registered Member

Look up "DIY overflow" on youtube, there's a tutorial on this. I may actually try that soon if I get a bit of spare time. They just use pvc piping to make an overflow. Kinda neat!

Unread 09/17/2015, 08:00 AM   #6
blando233
Registered Member

For that size and the space you have i would just get a hang on refugium.

If you did pump to pump i would be afraid of a overflow if the power goes out because it still sometimes siphone had that issue lol

blando233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2015, 08:00 AM   #7
FishyFishy69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubasu View Post
Look up "DIY overflow" on youtube, there's a tutorial on this. I may actually try that soon if I get a bit of spare time. They just use pvc piping to make an overflow. Kinda neat!
He's only got a 10G Nuvo though, so space for that kind of overflow is extremely limited. Unless you want a bunch of pipes in the display side.

Hang on refugium:

http://www.marinedepot.com/miscellan...ugiums-ap.html

Unread 09/17/2015, 08:35 AM   #8
sleepydoc
Registered Member

+1 to a hang on refugium. Trying to synchronize multiple pumps is asking for problems. Really, it's a matter of when, not if the system will flood.

On the plus side, 5-10 gallons of water does much less damage than 50-100 gallons. probably only a few thousand dollars worth...

Unread 09/17/2015, 08:48 AM   #9
Windy2
Registered Member

Windy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2015, 09:28 AM   #10
TheEndIsNeigh
Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I emailed someone who has been doing sump systems for a while about the possibilies and an overflow and such. He actually suggested that I get a submersible pump to pump water from one tank to the other, and then get a siphon or two back. He said of the siphons are kept submerged they will never break, even if the power cuts. Kind of reminds me of the image that was just posted. Can anyone see some reason this wouldn't work?

Worst case scenario the siphon breaks for some reason, if the pump is kept in the nuvo built in sump system, only 1.5 gallons of water would hit the floor. Maybe two. Still a lot, but it's a concrete building. Of course, would definitely like to avoid that.

TheEndIsNeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2015, 10:08 AM   #11
Rybren
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubasu View Post
Been there, done that, got the water damage to prove it.

If you're going to use a siphon overflow, get a quality HOB back one.

Unread 09/18/2015, 10:48 PM   #12
don_chuwish
Registered Member

Drill the side of the refugium, put it on something to make it higher than the DT. Bulkhead out to an extended elbow and drain pipe down into the DT. They're such small tanks the drain won't be too noisy. Essentially a HOB refugium without the hanging and 'on the back' parts.

don_chuwish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refuge/sump, refugium, refugium advice, sump, sump advice