Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2015, 06:33 AM   #1
MFerrell
Registered Member

closed loop/ Overflow questions

I have recently purchased a 125 g tank that has been drilled for both a closed loop and overflow to a large sump. I have been debating whether or not to cap the closed loop and just use the sump and circulation pumps I had in my previous tank. I have a mostly FOWLR tank. This tank is waiting for me to decide what to do. I would love some input from these who have done a closed loop. Would have do it again? And why? Both for and against.

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon nano
MFerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 10:32 AM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

My personal opinion is that with the advances in power head technology it is more efficient to move water with power heads than a closed loop system, so unless you find the look of an in tank power head overly distracting I would not use the closed loop and opt for good power heads.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 11:01 AM   #3
UNCsalt
Registered Member

agree, I have a rimless starphire 90 gallon that is a closed loop and I love the clean look of not having a power head and with the three returns bars I have on the bottom I can get better water movement lower in the tank. As mentioned with the advancement of power heads it really depends on what you like, the look with out power heads or with....

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon fowlr, 34 ruby trigger sump, SRO 3000 int 20 gallon nano reef
UNCsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Shawn O
Registered Member

If you decide you don't want the closed loop, you can always cap the bulkheads or use the closed loop to run a reactor of some type.

Current Tank Info: 55gal tank, sumpless, ReefOctopus Classic 90, Twin bulb T5.
Shawn O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 03:40 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I agree. The closed loop is a historical holdover from when either there were no powerheads or they stunk. Likewise for all these swirls, motions devices. When I up sized my tank a couple of years ago, I dutifully had holes bored for a CL, installed my plumbing, a pump, and an oceans motions device. Waste of time! Makes absolutely no difference to the tank, and adds minimal flow to my Vortech's. Had I to do it again, no CL for me.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 03:43 PM   #6
thegrun
Registered Member

Simon, I have to admit I do like the Sea Swirl I use on on my return pump discharge.
-Mike

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 04:07 PM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
Simon, I have to admit I do like the Sea Swirl I use on on my return pump discharge.
-Mike
Yeah, sorry, the perils of generalizing. I used a swirl when they first came out and the thing was always jamming up on me. Don't doubt they are better now but I'm quite happy to direct my return straight down behind my rocks and drink the vortech cool aid.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 08:07 PM   #8
MFerrell
Registered Member

I was wondering about the cost to run the large pump needed compared to 4 Korella type pumps. My hubby is thinking he would like the look of the closed loop but I am the thrifty type so not sure on the cost to run things.

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon nano
MFerrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closed loop system, sump