Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2016, 01:54 PM   #1
davocean
Registered Member

Magnifica or Ritteri?

OK, used to be Ritteri was the common name used most for this nem, then everyone started calling them Magnifica the most, and lately as I searched for one Ritteri seems to be the common label once again.
Can we pick one please??!!
I get really tired of always typing my Magnifica/Ritteri

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 02:14 PM   #2
Winwood
Registered Member

Lol! Probably a futile battle. Magnifica should be the proper name as it is the scientific one currently. Radianthus ritteri is a debunked synonym.

Winwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 02:18 PM   #3
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I prefer Magnifica. 9 times out of 10 if I ask a local fish store for a Magnifica they won't have a clue. But if I say Ritteri they know what I'm asking for.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 02:20 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

I prefer Mag as well, but I'm amazed at how many LFS I asked would say no, we don't have one, we only have BTA's and Ritteri at this time...

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 02/13/2016, 02:27 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winwood View Post
Lol! Probably a futile battle. Magnifica should be the proper name as it is the scientific one currently. Radianthus ritteri is a debunked synonym.
Correct .. On all counts!

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 02:39 PM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

What's even funnier to me is the place I got my most recent mag from, went in after weeks of asking, they said sorry, we still could not find a mag for you.
I was walking out and saw this one stuck on the glass w/ that obvious purple base beaming at me.
The label was right there on it, Ritteri, $79, which is cool because they were quoting me $149 for a mag! lol

Unread 02/13/2016, 02:42 PM   #7
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

I say mag .

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 02:57 PM   #8
Winwood
Registered Member

It's not your LFS's fault. They are listed as Ritteri on many wholesale lists.

Unread 02/13/2016, 03:07 PM   #9
davocean
Registered Member

I guess in this case the confusion helped me, saved me a bit of money, so glad I got a ritteri instead of a mag!

Unread 02/13/2016, 06:33 PM   #10
Winwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
I guess in this case the confusion helped me, saved me a bit of money, so glad I got a ritteri instead of a mag!
They're a much more desirable species.

Unread 02/13/2016, 06:35 PM   #11
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

I really like mine more than what I thought I would.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 06:43 PM   #12
davocean
Registered Member

It really is one of the best nems to keep IMO, once you get them past that initial bacteria infection almost every one comes shipped w/ just set em up high on a rock w/ good light and medium flow and they will stay right there.

Unread 02/13/2016, 10:02 PM   #13
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I completely agree. Quite hardy actually once fully acclimated.

Mine hasn't moved more than an inch or two on top of its high rock.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 02/13/2016, 10:52 PM   #14
davocean
Registered Member

Holy cow that is a stunning tank!

Unread 02/14/2016, 01:08 AM   #15
Winwood
Registered Member

I actually think they are probably the least hardy anemone. I've kept all the host anemones and believe mags are probably the most likely species to either reinfect or respond poorly to water parameters. On the other end of the scale, my mertens could probably be blended and reform like the T1000 at this point.

Unread 02/14/2016, 02:39 AM   #16
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Radianthus ritteri was the "old" incorrect scientific name it was (and still is) traded under.

The "ritteri" species name goes back to a description by Kwietniewski in 1897 as Antheopsis ritteri.

The name it was first described under was: Actinia magnifica by Quoy & Gaimard in 1833. Since this predates all other descriptions the valid species name is and always will be "magnifica"

Fautin then placed it into the genus Heteractis.
So the currently correct scientific name is: Heteractis magnifica (Quoy & Gaimard, 1833).

While the genus may at some point change again, the correct species will always be "magnifica".

So calling it magnifica is correct while ritteri is an incorrect synonym.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 06:16 AM   #17
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

So would a Ritteri/Magnifica be a better choice for hosting my Mocha clowns than hoping they take a BTA? What are the odds they will hop right or readily take it as a host?

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 10:42 AM   #18
davocean
Registered Member

Well I'm not sure what mocha's are, mine are percula variant, and they would not accept a BTA I had, but they were in this mag in less than 5 minutes, so a natural host match gives a better chance of hosting and much faster than a non natural in most cases.
The stickied list does say BTA's are natural for both percs and occs but I don't think that is correct, I'm pretty sure it's not listed that way on Fautin and Allens which I believe is the most up to date list and info.
My last picasso's did accept a BTA, but like many others they lost black color after they did, I pulled those BTA's and black color came back, very weird.
That pair also never accepted a hadonni, and that was 4mo, and again, added a mag, immediate hosting.

Unread 02/14/2016, 10:44 AM   #19
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Radianthus ritteri was the "old" incorrect scientific name it was (and still is) traded under.

The "ritteri" species name goes back to a description by Kwietniewski in 1897 as Antheopsis ritteri.

The name it was first described under was: Actinia magnifica by Quoy & Gaimard in 1833. Since this predates all other descriptions the valid species name is and always will be "magnifica"

Fautin then placed it into the genus Heteractis.
So the currently correct scientific name is: Heteractis magnifica (Quoy & Gaimard, 1833).

While the genus may at some point change again, the correct species will always be "magnifica".

So calling it magnifica is correct while ritteri is an incorrect synonym.
Thanks for this, nice to know.
I have always and will continue to call them mags

Unread 02/14/2016, 11:53 AM   #20
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winwood View Post
I actually think they are probably the least hardy anemone. I've kept all the host anemones and believe mags are probably the most likely species to either reinfect or respond poorly to water parameters.
That has not been my experience. It's really hard to get them through the initial shipping and acclimation process (and I've lost a few), but one you do they have proved quite enduring - for me, at least. Have had four over the last 20 years, none of which got reinfected, and the first three had to be rehomed because they got too large. In at least two cases, mags survived tank crashes that took down all my SPS coral. I will say that I have never tried to add any subsequent anemones to my tank. Just one, centerpiece for me.

Mag is my favorite. Colorful, stays put and doesn't eat my fish. Good host for many clown species as well.

Unread 02/14/2016, 11:54 AM   #21
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Mocha's are Ocellaris from a normal orange Ocellaris and a black and white Ocellaris. Now my next question is, is it possible to keep a smaller one in a 40b or should I not bother even trying? I will not be upgrading from this tank. I've had several large tanks in the past, and having a bad back this one is enough work LOL

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 12:29 PM   #22
davocean
Registered Member

I think a mag would get way too big too fast for a 40g, though it is not listed as a natural host I have had good luck w/ many clowns accepting a Malu, which would at least be a better fit and they come in very bright colors, I would at least try that.

Unread 02/14/2016, 12:32 PM   #23
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
That has not been my experience. It's really hard to get them through the initial shipping and acclimation process (and I've lost a few), but one you do they have proved quite enduring - for me, at least. Have had four over the last 20 years, none of which got reinfected, and the first three had to be rehomed because they got too large. In at least two cases, mags survived tank crashes that took down all my SPS coral. I will say that I have never tried to add any subsequent anemones to my tank. Just one, centerpiece for me.

Mag is my favorite. Colorful, stays put and doesn't eat my fish. Good host for many clown species as well.
While my exp w/ mags is not as extensive as other nems, this has been my exp and by far the most common of comments I have seen from others, though I agree results of course may vary.

Unread 02/14/2016, 05:33 PM   #24
OrionN
Moved on

I was looking on the net the other day and came up with a website that used my picture and have the nerve to say that Heteractis magnifica is an old name for the species and current accept name is Radianthus ritteri.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 07:09 PM   #25
davocean
Registered Member

Oh my!