Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2018, 01:31 AM   #1
Arringar
Registered Member

Ich unaffected by hyposalinity?

Before I really dive into the details of this unfortunate situation I have found myself in... Have any of you ever encountered a scenario with ich seemingly thriving under true hyposaline conditions when using osmotic shock therapy as a treatment (SG 1.008)?

Arringar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 10:40 AM   #2
lagatbezan
Registered Member

If you have done the hypo properly with no fluctuations in the salinity the entire 30 day period and testing using a correctly calibrated refractometer, then you might be dealing with a hypo resistant strains of ich which have been proven to exist.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2018, 10:25 PM   #3
Arringar
Registered Member

I took the salinity down to SG 1.007 and it seems to be helping. The fish look better and the ich is starting to disappear. Only time will tell if that is just the normal ebb and flow of the lifecycle.

Unread 09/27/2018, 03:49 AM   #4
Arringar
Registered Member

Osmotic shock definitely isn’t killing it. My puffer has more spots than ever. If anything I’d say this is accelerating the lifecycle although I can’t really prove it, just an observational note. Two refractometers agree the SG is 1.007-1.008.

I have some NLS Ich Shield (supposedly CP) which has definitely worked in the past. My research suggests that there may be issues with using it in hyposaline conditions. Perhaps a low dose would be safe at this salinity, going to do further research on this method before taking further treatment steps. At this point I wish I had just used the CP instead of OST, but couldn’t have known without trying.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with NLS Ich Shield in extreme hypo conditions?

Unread 09/27/2018, 04:19 PM   #5
lagatbezan
Registered Member

can't help with mixing NLS with hypo, but my understanding is that CP kills only the swimming stages of ich and not when it is attached to the fish or in dormant stages so not sure how effective it will be when fish is eating it. If you can get a RX for CP and have it filled by diamondback, that would probably the best coarse of treatment adding it to the tank. If not might have to resort to copper or TTM.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2018, 07:07 PM   #6
lapin
Registered Member

There is an study I read that suggested using the TTM method and on certain days dip the fish in fresh water. This might eliminate your strain. If its in your tank then this is prob not going to work for the tank. It will work for the fish.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 12:34 AM   #7
Louis Z
Registered Member

I have used the FW dips OST to knock off flukes , and just started to use seachems paraguard that states it has safer form of aldehydes . I have used formalin solution dips on the ick but never liked it long term in the HT . I did use it as a dip inbetween the TTM . I haven’t had a recent acquisition with ick lately to test the paraguard. But that med has a concentrated 1hr dose that I now put in the bag before the fish goes into the first of three tanks . I wonder if that would be something you would try . I do believe the TTM method works but I have been dosing General Cure in addition . Both the praziquantel and metronidazole MAY have an effect on the free swimming ick . I say may because I don’t know if it has been proven . I just am very selective of the fish I buy. they really have to look good , so that sometimes rules out a fish with ick . I just don’t feel like trying to prove my protocol by actually buying a fish with ick .

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote