Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2018, 12:06 PM   #1
McPuff
Registered Member

Thoughts on Viparspectra??

I've got a 300DD and looking to reduce the number of fixtures. Currently I've got 7 over my tank (3 AI sol blue, 4 rapidled onyx). I was looking for something 24-30" so that I could simply put 3 units over the tank and light it adequately.

Does anyone have the Viparspectra 300W over their tank? It doesn't look like these can be daisy chained which could be a little annoying. But otherwise, they look pretty simple and do the basics (sunrise/sunset) which is all I really want out of a light... well, and coverage of course. :0)

Trying to keep the cost reasonable. There don't seem to be many options for a light that fits my preferences. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2018, 07:40 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

yep.. They are just fine.. Just like any other "Black box" led.. Cheap/reliable enough/works just fine..

Unread 04/15/2018, 09:23 AM   #3
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Unless there is a newer model mine do not do sunrise/sunset. They don't have a ramping feature, just intensity for Ch1 and Ch2 plus built in timers for each.

I have the 165w reef model.

Unread 04/15/2018, 11:31 AM   #4
cone9
Premium Member

How is the penetration? My reef is 35Hex at 24" deep.

I have had 250w MH from the get-go - mostly Iwasaki or various brands of 10,000K. How do these LEDs compare to 250w MH?

Dr. Steve O'Shea on the prospect of luring in a giant squid

Current Tank Info: 35 Hex, 250w , 2x28w 03 actinics, BakPak 2R, Southdown DSB, 45# gulf View LR(5-21-2001), SG 1.026, Temp 80
cone9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2018, 12:57 PM   #5
RobZilla04
Registered Member

I don't have numbers for you but they are plenty effective above my 90g. Clams softies and LPS down low and I only run about 50-60% blue and 10% white.

Unread 04/15/2018, 02:43 PM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Yup, no sunrise,set, and independent.
I love mine, 24 inches deep, in addition to softies and LPS keeping 4 SPS and 3 clams and only running at 60%
Metal halide still and maybe always will have better intensity punch than LED, but the trade off is heat and cost.
Love my VISPARSPECTRA, have two, but the 165w versions.
The only thing I didn't like was the timer....gets off by a few seconds a month....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 08:28 AM   #7
McPuff
Registered Member

Hmm, no sunrise/sunset... that's unfortunate. Well, I'm in no rush as I do have lighting fixtures that work just fine. Just want to eliminate some of the clutter. Thanks all!

Unread 04/16/2018, 09:13 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Hmm, no sunrise/sunset... that's unfortunate.
But you can have the blue channel come on before the white channel and really no one needs sunrise/sunset.. There is no real proof its beneficial to the coral at all.. Just that it makes us humans happy..

Unread 04/16/2018, 11:04 AM   #9
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
But you can have the blue channel come on before the white channel and really no one needs sunrise/sunset.. There is no real proof its beneficial to the coral at all.. Just that it makes us humans happy..
No, I agree there is no benefit to the coral. But there is benefit to me. :0) It's really the only LED "special feature" that I do enjoy. I suppose you could argue that it also benefits the fish to some extent as there are no sudden changes in conditions that may stress them. But otherwise, it's purely for my own benefit.

Unread 04/16/2018, 01:56 PM   #10
rfgonzo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cone9 View Post
How is the penetration? My reef is 35Hex at 24" deep.

I have had 250w MH from the get-go - mostly Iwasaki or various brands of 10,000K. How do these LEDs compare to 250w MH?
I'm happy with penetration with the Viparspectra 165W on a 30'' deep tank. I get between 100 and 122 par on my Apogee MQ-200 par meter on my 210 gallon at the bottom of tank, depending if i'm directly under the lights or off to the side. Tank only has a 1 to 2'' sandbed. The lights are set 9'' above water and CH1 is at 30% and CH2 is at 15%.

75 gal Brazilian Dragon Mor
rfgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 05:01 PM   #11
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Yup, no sunrise,set, and independent.
I love mine, 24 inches deep, in addition to softies and LPS keeping 4 SPS and 3 clams and only running at 60%
Metal halide still and maybe always will have better intensity punch than LED, but the trade off is heat and cost.
Love my VISPARSPECTRA, have two, but the 165w versions.
The only thing I didn't like was the timer....gets off by a few seconds a month....
They get Hot even with the fans on em? SHould I consider installing fans on sides of my canopy ?

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 06:16 PM   #12
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
They get Hot even with the fans on em? SHould I consider installing fans on sides of my canopy ?
Mine don't get hot cause they hang, no canopy.
I would ventilate your canopy for sure, heat and humidity is not great for any electronics, but with a couple of fans, this would not be a problem.

I have a canopy, but never used it. Just not my thing, I need easy access and like to keep the exchange of gases going good to keep my PH around 8.1.

I have zero complaints with these lights. Well manufactured. Don't use gizmos, line to keep everything consistent and stable including lights.

Unread 09/20/2018, 10:16 AM   #13
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Mine don't get hot cause they hang, no canopy.
I would ventilate your canopy for sure, heat and humidity is not great for any electronics, but with a couple of fans, this would not be a problem.

I have a canopy, but never used it. Just not my thing, I need easy access and like to keep the exchange of gases going good to keep my PH around 8.1.

I have zero complaints with these lights. Well manufactured. Don't use gizmos, line to keep everything consistent and stable including lights.
so even though the lights come with fans, i should still add fans?..im placing holes on top for ventilation for sure

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Unread 09/20/2018, 06:58 PM   #14
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
so even though the lights come with fans, i should still add fans?..im placing holes on top for ventilation for sure

The fans serve the light well when hung, which is the design.

Any ventilation into the canopy is an asset.

The canopy fans provide a lot of ventilation.

It is the precise reason I no longer use the canopy top, stuck in a humid environment would decrease the equipments life significantly, everything under the hood is affected by the salty humidity.

Just my take though........

Unread 09/20/2018, 08:05 PM   #15
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
The fans serve the light well when hung, which is the design.

Any ventilation into the canopy is an asset.

The canopy fans provide a lot of ventilation.

It is the precise reason I no longer use the canopy top, stuck in a humid environment would decrease the equipments life significantly, everything under the hood is affected by the salty humidity.

Just my take though........
ok Im thinking for my 90 gal 2 (3.5") fans in the back... and some holes in the top of canopy..sound ok?

Unread 09/20/2018, 11:47 PM   #16
cvrle1
Registered Member

Quote:
ok Im thinking for my 90 gal 2 (3.5") fans in the back... and some holes in the top of canopy..sound ok?

In theory it should be ok, but there are variables at play that make it a bit of guessing game. Only sure way is to try it and see. if you feel that there isnt enough air flow, add more fans. I am not a fan (no pun intended) of using these types of lights inside canopy, at least not without modifications. Some folks did take them all out of black box casing and then installed them in the canopy. That worked well as they could control heat with extra fans.

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2020, 01:14 PM   #17
Fonchy
Registered Member

Light

I have 2 on top of my canopy, 2 300w that run blue at 90% fro 6a to 10p and whites At 30% 7a to 9p. Easy to set up

Everyone is my friend but there are 2 people in this world that I despice the most: Murphy and Bill

Current Tank Info: Starting again with a 180 galReef
Fonchy is offline   Reply With Quote