Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/05/2018, 08:09 AM   #1
pfan151
Registered Member

Nice little Gig on eBay if anyone is looking

At least I’m pretty positive it’s a Gig. Little bleached. The pic on the ad looks crazy but he sent me a pic under whiter lighting. I asked for a pic of the disc to confirm but so far he just sent the below pic. Not sure if I’m allowed to post a link to eBay but if you search carpet anemone it’s one of the first couple results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2018, 09:40 AM   #2
D-Nak
Registered Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it's S. helianthus. Tentacles look very evenly spread. Gigantea usually show rows of tentacles.

Unread 10/05/2018, 09:46 AM   #3
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it's S. helianthus. Tentacles look very evenly spread. Gigantea usually show rows of tentacles.
I was thinking that was a possibility but I haven’t seen one as colorful as that. Seller is from FL though so that would make an Atlantic anemone more likely. I’m still thinking Gig though. Tentacles being different colors has me a little unsure though. Wish he would have sent a pic of the underside. I’m not looking for another gig so I don’t want to pester him with too many requests.

Last edited by pfan151; 10/05/2018 at 10:46 AM.
Unread 10/05/2018, 01:44 PM   #4
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
I was thinking that was a possibility but I haven’t seen one as colorful as that. Seller is from FL though so that would make an Atlantic anemone more likely. I’m still thinking Gig though. Tentacles being different colors has me a little unsure. Wish he would have sent a pic of the underside. I’m not looking for another gig so I don’t want to pester him with too many requests.

Unread 10/05/2018, 04:12 PM   #5
D-Nak
Registered Member

I've seen many helianthus with mottled colors (often white splotches) similar to S. haddoni but much less common with gigantea. I looked on eBay and all of the seller's photos are under heavy actinic/blue light. This could cause the mottled areas to glow.

Even looking at the verrucae could be deceptive, because if all of the photos are under blue light, the orange/brown verrucae of a helianthus could appear to be a different color.

Without additional photos -- under normal lighting -- we really won't know for sure.

Unread 10/05/2018, 06:05 PM   #6
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
I've seen many helianthus with mottled colors (often white splotches) similar to S. haddoni but much less common with gigantea. I looked on eBay and all of the seller's photos are under heavy actinic/blue light. This could cause the mottled areas to glow.

Even looking at the verrucae could be deceptive, because if all of the photos are under blue light, the orange/brown verrucae of a helianthus could appear to be a different color.

Without additional photos -- under normal lighting -- we really won't know for sure.
Yea you might be right. I may have just never seen a healthy helianthus. I only ever see them bleached white at petco.

Unread 10/11/2018, 08:46 PM   #7
Tony414
Registered Member

That is very colorful. i love it

Tony414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2018, 09:14 PM   #8
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony414 View Post
That is very colorful. i love it
You won’t love it when it eats your clownfish.