Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2015, 09:48 PM   #1
texdoc77
Registered Member

McCosker's new onset swimming tilted

1. How old is this aquarium?
Its in my QT

2. If less than six months old, what is ammonia level?
Ammonia has been 0, running seachem ammonia badge that is also 0, just did 40%WC today

3. What is SG of this aquarium? How measured?
1.025 with refractometer

4. When was the last fish added to this aquarium?
I have three terminal phase male flashers in it currently all added four days ago

5. Was it quarantined? If so, how? And how long? Was it prophylactically treated? How?
Currently in QT

6. If you are using a copper based medication, which one? How often do you measure level? When?
N/A

7. If you are using hyposalinity, how did you calibrate your refractometer?
N/A

8. Please describe in detail, the appearance of the fish? If there is one or more pimples, are they lumpy? What color?
No lesions noted, good color, eating well

9. Please describe the behavior of the fish as best you can. Is it acting reclusive? Is it always up towards the top of the aquarium? Is it avoiding light? How active is the fish?
Not reclusive, just swimming a little tilted to the left

10. Is the fish eating? What?
Eating well, flakes

Current Tank Info: Currently Rebuilding
texdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2015, 10:34 PM   #2
texdoc77
Registered Member

...now corkscrewing...

Ok so now the fish cannot swim without corkscrewing and he does not look quite as well as he did earlier, which does make sense. Found some information on "whirling disease" and I am wondering if that could be the issue now...

Ugh and he was the "healthy" one from DD...

Unread 08/02/2015, 06:25 AM   #3
julie180
Registered Member

Very interesting, I have a flame wrasse from DD that is acting strange also. Got him 10 days ago. He is holding his fins clamped and pulling his back end down so tight it seems he trying to turn into a C shape. Today he is listing to one side when sitting on the bottom.

julie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2015, 07:05 AM   #4
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie180 View Post
Very interesting, I have a flame wrasse from DD that is acting strange also. Got him 10 days ago. He is holding his fins clamped and pulling his back end down so tight it seems he trying to turn into a C shape. Today he is listing to one side when sitting on the bottom.
Yes, I saw your thread. My McCoskers did not make it through the night and to be honest, I am glad. It appeared to be a tortuous way to live. He was unable to eat and kept ramming into the floor and sides of the tank. It was only a matter of time until he starved to death, which is one of the cruelest ways to die.

My concern now is if this was whirling disease, then will the other wrasses in QT get it? They do not seem to be listing or tilting, but then again neither was the McCoskers at first...

Time will tell, I'm sorry about your flame, I saw your flame from DD and he is very nice looking, I hope he pulls through.

Unread 08/02/2015, 07:12 AM   #5
julie180
Registered Member

What I read about whirling disease is its more coldwater fish related. I hope its not gotten into the aquarium trade. We have enough to deal with as it is.

I don't think mine is going to make it either. He allowed me to put him in a small container and under the microscope with no fight

Unread 08/02/2015, 05:49 PM   #6
julie180
Registered Member

I was looking at your post and wondered if the sg being so high had something to do with the fishes demise. I measured DD water that came at 1.018 and matched my qt to that.

Unread 08/02/2015, 06:20 PM   #7
snorvich
Team RC member

Julie may be correct about raising SG from shipment water to your 1.025 SG being the problem.

Unread 08/02/2015, 06:35 PM   #8
Flippers4pups
Home made abyss

What was the SG in the shipping bag? I tend to agree with Steve that it could have been a quick jump in SG that got him. Osmotic shock may be the culprit.

I just got two male Mccoskers juvi yesterday and the bag water from the Lfs was spot on 1.025, same as my system SG. Both went through acclimation with no problems. (Thank god!) eating like pigs, mysis and flake.

Flippers4pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2015, 10:32 PM   #9
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie180 View Post
I was looking at your post and wondered if the sg being so high had something to do with the fishes demise. I measured DD water that came at 1.018 and matched my qt to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Julie may be correct about raising SG from shipment water to your 1.025 SG being the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippers4pups View Post
What was the SG in the shipping bag? I tend to agree with Steve that it could have been a quick jump in SG that got him. Osmotic shock may be the culprit.

I just got two male Mccoskers juvi yesterday and the bag water from the Lfs was spot on 1.025, same as my system SG. Both went through acclimation with no problems. (Thank god!) eating like pigs, mysis and flake.
I was under the impression that most on here kept SG around 1.0264 or 35ppm. I checked on RC to see what the usual SG from DD was and found 1.025, I also checked on their website and spoke to a rep who confirmed this. I did check the bag they were shipped in and found it was 1.025... But who knows. The flasher is doing well and without any of the issues... I know sometimes fish just die and I have noted in another thread that "terminal phase males" do not ship well. Not sure how fact vs. myth that is, but seeing as how I really really want a McCoskers I will likely have to try DD again...