Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/02/2015, 09:38 PM   #1
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Is this RTN or STN?

My torch has been slowly losing its stem. I'm wondering if it's RTN? I dipped it a couple months ago but it didn't seem to help. I just dipped it again today. When I did a little piece flaked off. I have a picture of that here too. Not sure what to make of it.

I attached the files, but can upload them in a larger format if necessary.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000140.jpg (34.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg P1000141.jpg (35.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg P1000142.jpg (35.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg P1000146.jpg (20.9 KB, 54 views)

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Johnseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Johnseye
Reef Addict

83 views and no one has an idea what this could be? My guess is STN but I don't know how "rapid" RTN is. I also don't know if a bug could do this, or survive the dips. I don't think I have it on other corals atm.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Unread 08/04/2015, 09:17 AM   #3
ReefWreak
Registered Member

So STN and RTN are both related to SPS, not really LPS/euphyllia.

I was thinking about this in one of the nano threads before, euphillia skeletons will eventually pick up algae, green, brown, purple, encrusting, filament, etc. Only the skeleton very near the coral polyp will continue to be white. As the polyp grows outward, splits, and spreads, more of the original white skeleton will grow in with algae. Euphillia aren't like SPS, where the entire skeleton/body is living polyps maintaining the skeleton. They only maintain the heads and skeleton very close to it.

Are you talking about the specific green algae immediately under the polyp, or the encrusting algaes on the stem/stalk further down? I think both are normal, and in your pictures everything looks fine, other than a coral being out of the water.

Are you seeing any recession in the actual coral head? My euphyllia constantly go in and out of being inflated nice and big and shrinking down. I think when they're splitting they shrink down for a few weeks, then inflate with more heads/mouths where they're splitting.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2015, 11:02 AM   #4
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
So STN and RTN are both related to SPS, not really LPS/euphyllia.
thanks, had no idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
I was thinking about this in one of the nano threads before, euphillia skeletons will eventually pick up algae, green, brown, purple, encrusting, filament, etc. Only the skeleton very near the coral polyp will continue to be white. As the polyp grows outward, splits, and spreads, more of the original white skeleton will grow in with algae. Euphillia aren't like SPS, where the entire skeleton/body is living polyps maintaining the skeleton. They only maintain the heads and skeleton very close to it.

Are you talking about the specific green algae immediately under the polyp, or the encrusting algaes on the stem/stalk further down? I think both are normal, and in your pictures everything looks fine, other than a coral being out of the water.

Are you seeing any recession in the actual coral head? My euphyllia constantly go in and out of being inflated nice and big and shrinking down. I think when they're splitting they shrink down for a few weeks, then inflate with more heads/mouths where they're splitting.

The stem of the skeleton is disintegrating. If this is normal and the skeletons for the heads will not disintegrate then I am relieved. I just wasn't sure if it had a disease or was being eaten.

Unread 08/04/2015, 11:21 AM   #5
ReefWreak
Registered Member

It's probably not disintegrating. It might be shearing here and there, particularly any algae sheet that may be on it. Even if it were disintegrating, it wouldn't really bother the coral, because it's just dead skeleton, it would just inconvenience you because you'll have to reattach it.

The second question on this site might be helpful/reassuring. Just skip to the picture, then the last comment of the paragraph/inquiry.

The big killer/disease/issue with euphyllia corals is a bacterial infection called brown jelly. Then you have to dip and do some other things. Black bugs may bother them, I'm not sure and black bugs are relatively new in the hobby. I'm sure you can find more info in the LPS forum if desired.

I think in your case you're good to go though.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2015, 03:28 PM   #6
Gagonzalez
Reef Fanatic

That actualy looks like growth rather than anything wrong. It's growing in thickness and expanding which seems to make it look stubbier. It's really not.

How tall is it? The 1st picture looks like it's about 1.5" to 2" from bottom to tip of skeleton. Last picture looks about the same but your thumb is covering the stem a bit which makes it look shorter.

Current Tank Info: JBJ 28g Nano / Aquamaxx HOB-1 / TLF 150 with GFO/ Vortech MP10QD / JBJ ATO / In-Tank Basket / AI Hydra26
Gagonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote