Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2019, 06:55 AM   #1
mangelo
Registered Member

Exclamation Disaster occurring daily!

I have a 165gal FOWLR that has been up for years. I started it bare bottom. I've kept ammonia at 0, nitrites at 0, nitrates 5 or less. Haven't lost a fish in a very long time.

I decided to go back to live sand. Days after adding the sand, I did a water change. Params were the same. Nitrate at 5.

After about 2 weeks, I started losing a fish daily. Fish that were eating the day before, were gone the next morning. All params are the same except for nitrates!!! It is off the chart!! I did a 40% water change. Nitrates didn't budge! I did another 40% water change. Nothing.

I have lost a fish daily for the last 2 weeks. I don't get this at all. Believe it or not, my Powder Brown is still alive as is my Foxface and Sleeper Goby.

I am preparing to do yet another 40% water change, but I have a feeling it will be in vain.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

mangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2019, 12:21 PM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

This sounds like you introduced a highly virulent pathogen like Amyloodinium.

Where did the live sand come from?

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2019, 12:34 PM   #3
mangelo
Registered Member

I added 3 - 40lbs boxes / bags. I got this from chewy.com

Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Saltwater Aquarium Sand, Natural White

Unread 09/06/2019, 12:49 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Is that harvested from the ocean, or worse from a site near a river mouth?
If yes, then there is a realistic chance that a Amyloodinium cyst or another equally deadly infection hitched a ride.
Did you observe the fish scratch, breathe accelerated, or behave in any other way suspiciously before they died. How do the survivors act?

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 09/06/2019, 01:20 PM   #5
mangelo
Registered Member

I did notice some scratching from some, but not all. The survivors, one of which is a Powder Brown Tang, is actually just fine which is an absolute miracle!

Unread 09/06/2019, 01:27 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Aside from the sand, did you add anything else in the last 3 months?

The powder brown tang may have immunity to whatever killed the other fish.

Unread 09/06/2019, 01:38 PM   #7
mangelo
Registered Member

I added other fish from a local fish store that uses copper. I've known the owner for a long time and trust what she says.

Other than that, I have not added anything else.

If I choose to get the remaining fish out and let the tank set empty for 2 months, do I have to get my eel out as well?

Unread 09/06/2019, 02:16 PM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

How long ago did you add those fish and did any of them survive or where they among the initial victims?
Most stores do not use copper at the full therapeutic level and even if they did it wouldn't necessarily guarantee that the fish are clear of Amyloodinium since some strains of this parasite can survive 1.5 times the therapeutic dose.
Also, a copper treatment below the lethal level for Amyloodinium may just suppress it for up to 6 weeks. And a fish may have partial immunity to it and be symptom free while still carrying it.
For all those reasons you should always quarantine (isolate) new fish for at least 2 months and observe them closely.

Unread 09/06/2019, 02:17 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangelo View Post
If I choose to get the remaining fish out and let the tank set empty for 2 months, do I have to get my eel out as well?
It's a fish, so yes, it needs to go out as well.

Unread 09/06/2019, 05:17 PM   #10
mangelo
Registered Member

I am not doubting that there may be something in my tank. I always quarantine, but didn't this time. All of the new fish parished first.

Why the extremely high nitrates? The color of the test is so dark red its almost purple!! Could that not be killing my fish?

Unread 09/06/2019, 05:43 PM   #11
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Did you find all fish that died? One decomposing somewhere might be enough to spike the nitrates.
High nitrates on their own are not immediately and directly dangerous to fish. Ammonia would be the thing to be concerned about.

The new, not quarantined fish dying first and the one-by-one deaths of the established stock is pretty consistent with Velvet/Amyloodinium.

Tags
dying, nitrate, sand