Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/27/2018, 04:52 PM   #1
Paradune33
Registered Member

New seahorses won’t eat, 2 days in

Hello, I purchased two seahorses 48 hours ago and have yet to eat. On the 5 minute trip how the male gave birth, so that was a surprise. They pretty much stay hitched next toeacher. No much movement other than changing hitch locations. Water parameters are good, temperature at 74.6
I have tried feeding live brine and frozen mycis. There is a scooter blenny in the tank and tank and a small diamond Goby. The tank is a 40 gallon, tall. I’m thinking maybe I should try moving them to a net breeder with a larger concentration of food. Any advice would help, I’m worried. Thank you

Paradune33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2018, 07:52 PM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

Its common for new seahorses not to eat for a couple days. If you have access to pods that might tempt them. Once they start eating it gets easier.

Do not put them in a breeder net. They could be injured since their spiny skeletal could get caught in the netting.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2018, 08:18 PM   #3
Paradune33
Registered Member

Thank you for your response! I lowered the lighting to nearly off and The male came off his hitch and swam on top of the sand moving it with his tail a bit. He was going back and forth slowly as if he was hunting. I tried giving some mycis and he swam back up to hitch. I’m going to Adjust the lighting to medium starting tomorrow. It was good to see a slight change in his behavior. The female hung upside and watched him on the sand before returning to her upright position when he returned.

Unread 09/28/2018, 10:38 AM   #4
Paradune33
Registered Member

Still not taking food. I have some newly hatched brine shrimp that I concentrated and sucked up with an eye dropper. I set the dropped right by there mouth and slowly let the concentration flow out. They were forced to eat whilewhile intaking water. Occasionally they would nip at it as well, though some they would spit out. We did this for a couple minutes then they changed hitching locations so I figured they were annoyed.

Unread 09/29/2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Paradune33
Registered Member

Day 4: still won’t accept frozen mycis, love ghost shrimp or brine shrim. Today they were dancing around in the morning, the male had hid pouch open for a hour. Then they split up. A hour later the female released eggs without the male present to accept.

Unread 09/29/2018, 10:44 AM   #6
Paradune33
Registered Member

Correction: live Ghost shrimp*
Male had His* pouch open.

Unread 09/29/2018, 11:25 PM   #7
pfan151
Registered Member

These are clearly WC seahorses. It will take some time and effort to get them switched to frozen. In the mean time keep the tank full of live ghost shrimp. Unfortunately keeping WC seahorses alive is pretty difficult

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 11:35 AM   #8
rayjay
Registered Member

I'm not sold on them being WC, especially as there are fewer places now selling WC when the availability of raised seahorses is more prevalent.
While moving stress CAN impact their eating for a while, it sounds like you introduced them to an already existing tank which may have copepods/amphipods in there that the seahorses may be getting and you not seeing this. Even knowing this though, it IS now critical that you see them eat SOMETHING, as if they go for long without, they may never start to feed again and would need tube feeding.
As these have produced fry AND eggs, we know that they are big enough to have become sexually mature, and MANY seahorses that size would have NO interest in brine shrimp nauplii. Also, even if they DID eat them, it would take an inordinate amount to be of any value nutrition wise.
The ghost shrimp you introduced may be too large to interest a juvenile even though it's large enough to be sexually mature, but without seeing them I can't say for sure.
Can you access adult live brine, or can you get pods that are amphipods or similar size to try? If using ghost shrimp can you get ones that are similar in size to adult brine?
Worst case scenario is that the seahorses have been in store systems that are connected to other fish and livestock where they may have picked up pathogens they haven't grown up with and have little resistance to ward off.
Seahorse immune systems are probably on average, the WORST of any marine fish we see normally in the hobby.
As a last resort, if feeding does NOT appear to happen, then I'd try a 12 minute fresh water dip to see if gill parasites are possibly causing the seahorses not to eat. If so, when placed into the dip with water matching temperature and pH of the tank water, severe thrashing would occur, AND you would SEE the tiny parasites come off into the water as their bodies explode on contact with the fresh water. If NO thrashing is observed the likelihood of this being the cause is slim to none.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 05:16 PM   #9
Paradune33
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! I’ll try the fresh water dip, can I use R/O water and bring up the PH with Baking Soda? I bought some adult brine shrimp, they don’t go after it when I put it in the tank. Last night I put some in there after lights out. I woke up around 3am and they were swimming around in the middle of the water column, which makes me think they were hunting. Still haven’t seen them eat anything. I do have copepods in the tank, however I doubt that will sustain them much longer. Finicky little things.

Unread 09/30/2018, 05:18 PM   #10
Paradune33
Registered Member

Also, it’s hard to tell on my PH using the color test. It may be 7.9 not 8. I’m not sure if this could be a cause of them not eating

Unread 09/30/2018, 08:50 PM   #11
Paradune33
Registered Member

I gave them each a FW bath for 12 min. They both thrashed around after 4 minutes. They stopped thrashing around the end, then sat upright. The FW is filled with particulates. They are both back in the SW tank resting.

Unread 09/30/2018, 09:38 PM   #12
Paradune33
Registered Member

I gave them each a FW bath for 12 min. They both thrashed around after 4 minutes. They stopped thrashing around the end, then sat upright. The FW is filled with particulates. They are both back in the SW tank resting.

Unread 10/01/2018, 07:10 AM   #13
Paradune33
Registered Member

Male started eating today after recovering from last nights FW dip. Female has not.

Unread 10/01/2018, 08:07 AM   #14
rayjay
Registered Member

In my experience, the thrashing normally starts immediately and lessens as the minutes go by and the parasites have been expelled. Also, any I've treated end up lying on the bottom and I have to nudge them to get a reaction. This happens either from the start if no parasites are a problem, or, after expelling the parasites if present.
It is a good sign that the male is eating, but hopefully the female will soon follow.
Keep in mind that the male eating could possibly be a coincidental factor at the time of the dip and something else may be really the problem, OR, hopefully, there is no actual problem at all and you haven't been able to detect the seahorses hunting the pods available at night when they are much more active than daytime.
A pH of 7.9 won't stop seahorses from eating and in fact, many homes, especially in winter, have stale air supply so that proper gas exchange is restricted and thus pH remains at a lower point. This can happen also in summer when a home is shut up to allow the AC to be used.

Unread 10/01/2018, 06:07 PM   #15
Paradune33
Registered Member

Male eating like a pig, what a difference. The female is just hanging out on the bottom attached to some macro. She is lethargic, still not eating. Her head is tucked down.

Unread 10/02/2018, 09:16 AM   #16
rayjay
Registered Member

I don't have any other thoughts to help at this moment other than the diamond goby is listed as a threat level 3 but didn't find a rating for the scooter but the ones listed are between 1 and 4. The higher the threat level usually means that they may be causing some seahorses to feel threatened.
My last resort when I can't figure out what is wrong is to place in hospital tank with heavy aeration and treat with Furan II and Diamox to cover most bases. If it works, I may not know the reason but don't care at that point if the seahorse survives.
Unfortunately, Diamox usually requires a prescription so I'd start with the Furan II while I source and obtain the Diamox.
I have had Diamox on hand for MANY years now, but it's been 2-3 years since I last used it as the longer I have been in the hobby, I finally learned just how diligent and extreme I need to be with tank water change frequency/volume coupled with extreme husbandry to remove uneaten food and detritus, especially searching out hidden spots around rock work and decor, AND from mechanical filtration, whatever type you use.

Unread 10/04/2018, 03:55 PM   #17
Paradune33
Registered Member

The female still isn’t eating, that I can see anyway.
I have noticed some white patches on her. Can someone help me identify?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 821141E6-0B15-442A-85E7-253C192E9820.jpg (36.2 KB, 25 views)
Unread 10/04/2018, 05:53 PM   #18
rayjay
Registered Member

Well I don't see anything that looks bacterial and only white markings that are common to them and sometimes are more prevalent than other times just like they can change their coloration to suit their moods or security.
If you see what looks like in this picture you will most definitely have to treat.
https://fusedjaw.com/diseasehealth/f...osion-disease/
If you determine for sure she will not eat, you will have to tube feed her.
https://fusedjaw.com/diseasehealth/e...-tube-feeding/
Tami likes to sedate first but for me, I believe the more sedation, the shorter the life span of the seahorse but I don't have proof to back up my thoughts.

Unread 10/06/2018, 07:49 PM   #19
kizanne
Registered Member

Well here in Florida WC horses are common.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2018, 09:29 AM   #20
rayjay
Registered Member

Not sure just HOW common they are, but for the greatest part of the continent they are not common.
Also, the male took to "eating like a pig" that I understood to mean eating the frozen mysis, and if so, a wild caught wouldn't likely acclimate to frozen that fast.
P33 are there any signs of improvement yet?