Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2018, 11:07 AM   #26
top shelf
Registered Member

Figured I'd do an update. Last night after lights out I decided to move it from quarantine to the display tank.

After the transfer.

FTS

This morning after the lights started to ramp up with the right side mp10 on. He already started to move 6in to the right.

After all the lights had come on, turned t5's of for the photo, and both mp10's running. It seems to have stopped here.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 11:39 AM   #27
pfan151
Registered Member

Looking good. Hopefully it will stay there for you. I think it may wander over to the other side of the rock pile though.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 11:55 AM   #28
Kinetic
Registered Member

It takes awhile for them to settle down. Mine used to move every morning, coming back to the same spot. Finally it did an entire tour of the tank and settled down, hasn't moved for months.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 11:56 AM   #29
top shelf
Registered Member

Thank you! Really glad I decided to swap out.

It's been slowly moving to the highest point on the right side but I knew that would be a good possibility. The tank is pretty well devoid of corals except for a few pieces just to see what I could support so it can pretty well go where it wants without harm. Once its settled for a bit I'll begin to add more.

What's a good amount of time to wait before trying to add clowns? I want to add a small pair of percula but want to make sure its fully settled and healthy enough. I figured a month might be enough but open to other suggestions.

Unread 10/19/2018, 12:42 PM   #30
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
Thank you! Really glad I decided to swap out.

It's been slowly moving to the highest point on the right side but I knew that would be a good possibility. The tank is pretty well devoid of corals except for a few pieces just to see what I could support so it can pretty well go where it wants without harm. Once its settled for a bit I'll begin to add more.

What's a good amount of time to wait before trying to add clowns? I want to add a small pair of percula but want to make sure its fully settled and healthy enough. I figured a month might be enough but open to other suggestions.
I don’t really think you have to wait for percs. The anemone is big enough that they can’t really do much to bother it. Especially if you are going with small ones.

Unread 10/19/2018, 01:23 PM   #31
top shelf
Registered Member

That's definitely good to know. With all the deformities and duller colors from cb clowns I want to try and locate some wild caught ones.

Unread 10/19/2018, 05:59 PM   #32
davocean
Registered Member

Looks beautiful!
I agree, no need to wait, get some clowns

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 08:02 PM   #33
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
That's definitely good to know. With all the deformities and duller colors from cb clowns I want to try and locate some wild caught ones.
Good luck. Wild ones are nice. I still prefer CB ones direct from the breeder since they are pretty bullet proof. I agree with the deformities obviously but I’m not sure I agree that well bred CB ones are duller.

Unread 10/20/2018, 07:41 AM   #34
top shelf
Registered Member

Thanks davocean and pfan, I'm hoping it gets some nice lavender or purple color to it. It looks like it has the potential. I'll be on the look out and see what I can find for clowns.

I'll agree with you on that though pfan, the cb are pretty solid. Unfortunately I don't know where I could get any direct from a breeder. The clowns and nem were to be the center piece of the tank so I really want a pair of clowns that will stand out out.

Unread 10/20/2018, 08:53 AM   #35
davocean
Registered Member

One thing I like about cb is they seem less aggressive to ME

Many see the hand as a host or at least friendly, especially if you get them very young, so my present and past percs I got young were super cool to me, even if I'm grabbing eggs they don't bite me.

It's a pretty big plus for me

I searched for perfect clowns for nearly a year, and actually found mine on ebay of all places.

I follow a fb page called clownfish marketplace, lots of breeders on there, be picky and observe closely in vid and pics would be my advice if you go that route.

Try not to have shipped during harsh weather, but other than that shipping fish is pretty well down most of the time

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 10/20/2018, 11:04 AM   #36
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
One thing I like about cb is they seem less aggressive to ME

Many see the hand as a host or at least friendly, especially if you get them very young, so my present and past percs I got young were super cool to me, even if I'm grabbing eggs they don't bite me.

It's a pretty big plus for me

I searched for perfect clowns for nearly a year, and actually found mine on ebay of all places.

I follow a fb page called clownfish marketplace, lots of breeders on there, be picky and observe closely in vid and pics would be my advice if you go that route.

Try not to have shipped during harsh weather, but other than that shipping fish is pretty well down most of the time
I have heard a few stories of clowns nipping and drawing blood, doesnt sound pleasant. I try to keep my hands out whenever possible.

Thanks for the heads up and advice, I'll definitely have to look into that.

Unread 10/20/2018, 11:33 AM   #37
davocean
Registered Member

Your hands will be in tank, whether or not to wear gloves or not up to you, but you will most likely be gluing frags or scrubbing glass or rearranging things.

I used to have a nasty maroon, and I broke so many corals from her sneak attacks that would always surprise and startle me, and I'm not a small sissy guy, I'm a carpenter and I don't even acknowledge most splinters or cuts these days I'm so used to it, but that dang maroon...

Anyway, it's SO nice knowing I can put my hand in tank and not have blood drawn, not only from that maroon, but sometimes I'd get bit by her AND jabbed by the coral I just broke just from flinching!

Unread 10/20/2018, 01:08 PM   #38
top shelf
Registered Member

I admit I dont nor have I ever worn gloves. I know it's highly recommended by some, I guess it's just faster and easier not to. Knock on wood I dont eat those words.

That would be my biggest worry is breaking corals, after the amount of work and effort that goes in to grow a colony out. My monti used to be bigger till I broke it. Was a sad day.

Unread 10/20/2018, 01:22 PM   #39
davocean
Registered Member

Oh I broke a huge purple monti thanks to that maroon, have a pic somewhere.

Not only did she bite me, but if I stuck a coral what she considered too close to her area she would literally bite and lift it w/ her mouth and carry it away, and if she could not lift it, she would actually head butt it to pieces.
I so do not miss that maroon!

I don't wear gloves either, lazy I guess.

I did start wearing a shiny watch back then as I realized she would bite at her reflection in that watch instead of me!

Maroon memories...

Unread 10/20/2018, 05:54 PM   #40
top shelf
Registered Member

My mo ti has been my fastest grower so far but I can already see new growth and it doesnt look like it will disturb the growth pattern too much.

I decided long ago maroons weren't for me. To many horror stories and just never was a big fan. I know some love them though. I wanted either true percs or onyx pervs but finally decided on true. I do recall reading one of your posts not that long ago where you recommended wearing a watch to distract from your hand. Sounds like a great idea to me! Might just have to buy one if theres issues. Any recommendations on a specific watch that you don't have to worry about being in the tank? I know even most plastic ones use different metals in them.

Unread 10/20/2018, 06:46 PM   #41
davocean
Registered Member

Lol, anything waterproof and shiny, even a wide bracelet would do, and I know it sounds kinda goofy but it works.

I would not do that unless a clown is giving issues, it's my opinion aggressiveness can be brought out and set a pattern, a passive clown seeing a reflection may spark up.

Long ago maroons were such the rage, they look great in photos, many of us wanted GSM's, ...at first!

They are still pretty, but I'm over keeping them.

Unread 10/21/2018, 02:42 AM   #42
top shelf
Registered Member

Goofy or not if it works it works. Still better than being constantly bit haha

Have you noticed more or less aggression from clowns when provided with a nem?

I like the plain old clowns, cant say as I much care for all these new "designer" clowns either. Then again most of the fish I have picked have been based off fish that I saw as a kid at the lfs and none of those existed then that I can recall.

Well it's been about 48hrs or so now and the mag still hasnt seemed to settle in. Came home this morning and its on the front left corner of the rock work smothering the monti frag on the sand bed. I'm sure I kiss that piece good bye lol Really glad I waited to add more frags till after nem was in.

Unread 10/21/2018, 07:19 AM   #43
OrionN
Moved on

The position is fine. Do you turn to MP10 off at night? You May does not have enough flow and is hunting for more row is my guess. Can you post a video of the amount of cow it is getting?

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 08:01 AM   #44
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
The position is fine. Do you turn to MP10 off at night? You May does not have enough flow and is hunting for more row is my guess. Can you post a video of the amount of cow it is getting?
My mp10's run 24/7 with different schedules throughout the day. At night they run in constant at the lowest setting which is 15% I believe. I think you could be right about the flow as 2 different times now it has set up right in front of one or the other. I dont have any videos at the moment but can certainly try and post one after work tonight.

Unread 10/21/2018, 08:04 AM   #45
top shelf
Registered Member

This is where it was when I came home this morning to get ready for work.

I have noticed it is impossible to get a fts without my reflection or something else reflecting of the front glass.

Unread 10/21/2018, 08:25 AM   #46
davocean
Registered Member

Wow, well it was looking for something, less light or more flow, going on last comments could be flow.

I know my mag is pretty close to my MP40 which is set at about 90% on reef crest mode, aimed just below the rock it sits on so it's slightly diffused, but still getting pretty good flow.

Maybe as lights are on it will climb back up.

Unread 10/21/2018, 08:51 AM   #47
top shelf
Registered Member

I think Minh is probably right given twice it has positioned itself in front of one or the other. They're hard to see in photo's but they're both on the back glass about 3/4 up with on unobstructed shot at the front. I can turn them up if need be. Just looked to be blowing the tents to hard to mr. I can post a photo of my schedule to look at.

Unread 10/21/2018, 09:07 AM   #48
top shelf
Registered Member

Both mp10's run the same schedule and percentages with the slave sometimes being synced sometimes not.

Unread 10/21/2018, 09:38 AM   #49
davocean
Registered Member

Looks like you are turning your flow way down at night if I'm reading right, no need, and in actuality our small contained systems benefit from keeping flow up, if anything during lights out we'd really be better off turning up rather than down.

Ocean currents do not relax at night, only surface looks calm as winds usually die down.

I do run reefcrest mode as I like random flow, and I don't even sinc my vorts, but other than that they remain constant

Unread 10/21/2018, 09:52 AM   #50
davocean
Registered Member

Most of my pics of my nem and clowns I'm trying not to show PH, so this FTS before I got my mag shows my placement just to give you an idea how much flow they can handle.

I purposely placed my vorts so it hits the rock just below where my mag was placed so it is not a straight on harsh hit, but rather diffused, but it's still getting flow a plenty.

Of course we have to be a little careful to not put too close, especially a new not yet settled nem, but mags I've had seem to like having a good amount of flow and stay put w/ maybe just minor adjustments.