Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2016, 10:53 AM   #1
StrikerKratos
Registered Member

Cool Striker's SPS Frag tank

Hey RC

I just purchased a bunch of huge SPS colonies (Monti, Acro, etc...) that just happened to come with a 75 gal tank and everything else . I will be building an amazing frag tank, moving all the coral, and selling the 75 gal to help cover expenses of the frag tank. Will hopefully have this up and running in the next month or two.

I hope you enjoy following along and I look forward to your input.

Here is my plan so far
Structure
2ft x 4ft double decker hydroponic flood table (two 35 gal black flood trays) with wheels
Two stainless steel wheeled carts to hold sump, ATO, dosing, controller, electrical, basically everything. The entire system will be on wheels.
Sump tank will be a 23Gal black wall hugger trash can.

Controller
Apex
Lab grade pH probe
Lab grade Salinity probe
Wifi adapter so I can control it with my phone

Lighting
Each tray will have its own 48" ATI SunPower 8 bulb T5 (one is already on its way!!). Bulbs will be as follows: 3 ATI Coral Plus, 3 ATI Aquablue Special, 2 ATI True Actinic. Bulbs were chosen based on light absorption of zooxanthellae found here and bulb spectrum found here.
Along with led moonlights on a lunar cycle

Water Circulation
Probably somewhere along the lines of 300-500gph for the return pump.
Probably 3-4 1500gph Hydor wavemakers (not making waves, just movement!) in each tray for 130-170x tray volume per hour ciruclation (4500-6000gph not including return).

Water Treatment
Auto top off: Smart ATO Micro (optical sensor!)
Dosing: 2.5gal space saving containers for calc, alk, and mag. I'll be building my own dosing system so each peristaltic pump can be calibrated with a PWM and individually controlled via the apex.
Debating what to do in the sump....
I have a bunch of live rock in my 75 gal tank's sump that is unfortunately scattered with aptasia and mojano. I would like to use these rocks so I can cover them with corals and turn them into "pieces of the reef". Should I cure the rock? Get peppermint shrimp and let them go crazy? I absolutely positively DO NOT WANT ANY PESTS in this system, it is too expensive for mistakes or headaches.

Was planning on keeping the rock in the sump and pulling out pieces over time to grow, and slowly replace with other rock, or store the rock in some other container and use ceramic in the sump. What do you think?

I'll keep you all updated as I get more stuff in, maybe I'll get some shots of my corals in the meantime

StrikerKratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Cameron2324
Registered Member

Do you have an pictures of the System? Also how do you like the controller I am still trying to get the wife to go along with a controller that will connect to the wifi so I can monitor everything when I am away from the house. I am currently in the planning stages of a build and will be putting everything together in may timeframe.

Looking forward to hearing more about your system!

Cameron2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2016, 03:55 PM   #3
StrikerKratos
Registered Member

Don't have the frag tank set up or the apex yet.

Here's the 75 at the moment, keep in mind the colonies were so large they were restricting flow. I took out all the sand and put the rock in the sump. Put the acro on a suspended frag rack. The color has steadily increased the last few days, can't wait for the new light!

Unread 01/31/2016, 04:03 PM   #4
StrikerKratos
Registered Member

Unread 01/31/2016, 04:10 PM   #5
StrikerKratos
Registered Member

ID on the chalices would be great

Tags
acro, diy, frag, sps