Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2008, 09:29 PM   #476
i2ik
Registered Member

One of my declivis is really sick, i have no idea what he have. He was ok yesterday, eating flakes and frozen food, at night, i saw him in a corner, not willing to move much. This morning, i went down to check, he was breathing fast, still at the same place, would swim a round very fast like he was in panic, and would come back to his corner. He have not been eating all day and he does not look too well

The other one, smaller is doing ok. He have a bit of ick on him, but is eating as usual and swim normaly. I dont know what happened to my bigger declivis. He was doing very well, eating more aggressively than the small one and today, he does not look good They were ready to go in the tank as i did not see significant dommage to the corals i put in the QT tank...
While he was swimming in speed mode in the tank, i think i saw his belly was kinda gray color... maybe he is having some infection... what should i do?! We will see tomorrow whats going on, hope to see him back swimming in the tank...

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
i2ik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2008, 11:04 PM   #477
Ed Reef
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about that Richard. My Pyramids was also like that...one day swimming and eating fine, and the next lying on the sand bed. Not sure with em' butterflies..

Hope your will recovered!!

~ Art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can only be explored by those willing to take the risks. ~

Current Tank Info: Ed Reef’s Shallow Crest Inspired ART
Ed Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2008, 01:20 AM   #478
i2ik
Registered Member

Added a clam today, wierd thing, my nassarius snails came to eat the clam...
I moved the clam in the QT tank, the butterflies are not picking at it

My nassarius are huge... they are not like the usual small nassarius... wondering if they are safe now.. havent seen them eat any kind of livestock before...

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
Unread 10/15/2008, 10:34 AM   #479
i2ik
Registered Member

Things are going fast in the hobby... I just noticed today that Ecotech have upgrade to a second generation for the vortech wireless pumps. I can also upgrade for a second generation of magnet for them. I am glad that all the pumps i have are those vortech pumps, only if they could work with the profilux, that would be a really good combo!

I am about to put 2 Vortech pump in the center back of the tank to get a more random flow.

Unread 10/15/2008, 10:34 AM   #480
longm
Registered Member

man i love your tank...can i move in with you?? lolz

longm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2008, 10:37 AM   #481
i2ik
Registered Member

If you can handle the LONG COLD winter

Unread 10/15/2008, 02:34 PM   #482
i2ik
Registered Member

Its a sad day, one of my declivis did not make it. Took him out this morning and notice he had a bloody belly. Its seem to be a vital infection. The other one is doing fine. Gave him some oyster and he seem to like it a lot. He have a bit of ick, hopefully, he will recovered really soon!

Unread 10/15/2008, 06:06 PM   #483
Ed Reef
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your loss Richard

~ Art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can only be explored by those willing to take the risks. ~

Unread 10/16/2008, 03:36 AM   #484
GlouBou
Registered Member

Hello,

Have you tried a fresh water treatment ?
3 minutes chrono in fresh water, same temperature and same pH.

Regards

Current Tank Info: 80x80x60 cm - Lumenarc spot with two 150w Bulb - BBK 180 mini V09
GlouBou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2008, 07:42 AM   #485
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

The tank is looking great! Love the fish selection. How about an updated FTS?

Unread 10/16/2008, 09:11 AM   #486
rockworm
A-counting guy

Richard, I am so sorry to hear about the loss. I understand what it is like. I lost a blue face angel shortly after I got him. Here is hoping the second declivis makes it.

Ward

Current Tank Info: 400g SPS and 75g non SPS
rockworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2008, 12:05 PM   #487
i2ik
Registered Member

Gloubou, I will give it a try depending how the fish is today.

Jerymy Blaze: i am going to get some corals tomorrow, i will try to put a FTS soon with the new corals in.

Ward: sorry about your blueface, i also hope that the other one is getting better today

Unread 10/17/2008, 09:51 PM   #488
i2ik
Registered Member

New corals !!

A beautiful piece, i used to have one almost similar to this one, lost it with my unbalance parameter... About the size of a full open hand

this is some serious thick branch!

Pink Millipora with yellow tips... pic is not great, but gives an idea...

I am thinking switching my MH to something more blue, like 14K or 20K.
I am thinking between Radium 20k, XM 20K and Aquaconnect 14K... I tend to go with Aquaconnect, but the price of those bulbs are high! On the other hand, with the radium, i have to change them twice a year... any opinion?

Unread 10/17/2008, 09:59 PM   #489
Ed Reef
Registered Member

OOOhhhhh NICE, especially the 1st piece...!!

Unread 10/18/2008, 09:24 PM   #490
JCTewks
Moved On

I love the look of the XM20K on mag ballasts...Crisp white with enough blue to make things POP, and no supp needed. The XM20K tends to be more of a monochromatic "blue" on the electronic ballasts.

JCTewks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2008, 08:03 PM   #491
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Richard NICE new pieces!!
we will definitely have to do a frag swap someday soon,
Lets hope some more amazing corals come in very soon.
I love that parrotfish- where did you get it?
Lets see some new tank shots!!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2009, 10:56 AM   #492
mcliffy2
Registered Member

Any updates? I'm especially curious how the quoyi parrotfish is doing...

Unread 01/20/2009, 05:39 PM   #493
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Waiting for an update as well!

Unread 08/08/2019, 08:16 AM   #494
i2ik
Registered Member

Its been a while, did not realize that it been more than 10 years, a long journey out of the hobby. I had some issue with the tank, seeing all my corals died one after the other and it was really hard to accept it. Thought it was my calcium reactor or kalkwasser reactor since my alk and Ca was so low.. to find out later when it was too late that I had a bad batch of salt.

It was a devastating decision, but decided to sell my livestock and took a break. I kept the tank and my equipment. Lately, I have been slowly getting back in remaking the tank. Most of my equipment is old but most of them still work.

Always had problem with the first gen of vortech. They would not hold on my 3/4 glass and finally stopped working. Replace them with the maxspect gyre 280 and love them.

Still using my Sifligoi MH with 20k radium and I love the look of it. Looking to replace them eventually with some LED.

Its good to be back and to learn from all of you!

Unread 08/08/2019, 12:15 PM   #495
i2ik
Registered Member

[IMG]image3-1[/IMG]

[IMG]image1-1[/IMG]

[IMG]image4[/IMG]

My water is not crystal clear, I have been adding carbon for the last 2 days, seem better but not there yet.

Unread 08/11/2019, 11:14 AM   #496
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

I have found that Purigen beats out carbon in scrubbing water. JMO tho.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2019, 04:38 PM   #497
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Richard, glad to see you back!
I love my gyres. I have 6. They move water so well and the newer controllers are quite versatile.
I have to say, even though I got rid of my MH about two years ago for led and t5, if I won the lottery and could build a system from scratch, I’d definitely go back to mh with led and t5 as well..
Something about how it makes the sps look and grow.. can’t be duplicated with leds for sure and not even completely with t5.

Richard, I absolutely LOVE your rock scape. Beautiful job!
Can’t wait to see some corals growing in there.
The hobby has changed quite a bit in the last decade- the most notable thing being how expensive corals have gotten..
Things have also gotten a lot more scientific which is a double edged sword. Gives you more and better tracking and control of parameters but also can make you paranoid and sometimes too controlling of the tank..
Anyways! It’s still as much fun and as rewarding as it always was!
Good luck with the tank and we’ll be be in touch soon.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2019, 01:17 PM   #498
i2ik
Registered Member

@CrayolaViolence I had some carbon around from my previous built but i will look into Purigen once it depleted. Thanks!
@matt: Thanks Matt, the aquascape took me a few days but I am quite happy with it as well. I like the open space and possibilities later on with corals. There is a drastic changed in livestock. I used to see yellow tang at 25$ and now, it is at least triple that amount. It will make people more conscious about the marine life. Corals are expensive, considering that there have been many people fragging all the same colony for years. There is a lot of new names that I have never heard of. They are beautiful!

I would like to keep the setup simpler than before as well. Now with youtube, it is easier to learn than before.

See you soon Matt!

Added today a convict tang, kole tang and a yellow coris wrasse.
There is 3 clownfish and 2 bellus Angel. Everyone is doing well!

Unread 10/15/2019, 08:23 AM   #499
i2ik
Registered Member

I wanted to share with you my new addition to my tank. Used to run 2x H&S A200 2x1260 feed directly by the overflow and its been working great!

Recently saw a good deal for the H&S A300 3x1260 and after many thoughts and research for newer skimmers on the market, decided that I would keep going with recirculating skimmers. They are hard to find now and not many companies offers them.

Eheim pumps are among the most reliable on the market, and the most affordable if something would go wrong. Had a problem with 2 Eheim pumps and had to find new pumps and new impellers. They are working as good as the first day I bought them.

[IMG]IMG-2252[/IMG]

Unread 10/15/2019, 08:30 AM   #500
i2ik
Registered Member

Fish list consist of:

Powder blue tang
Lavender Tang
Hippo tang
Mimic Pyrofeus Tang

2xBellus Angel

1xApollo Clownfish
1xblack snowflake clownfish
1xWyoming Clownfish

Yellow coris wrasse
Green coris wrasse

Copperband butterfly

Changed all 3 Sifligoi 400W MH to 4 Ecotech Radion G4 Pro. I like the controls of LEDs, not having to change bulbs and all the connectivity, but I miss the MH effects et rendering, the growth of SPS. Going to need space to store them.