Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2018, 12:53 PM   #1
cvrle1
Registered Member

Picked up aquarium, got a bunch of quipment thrown in. Can any of it be used?

Hello everyone,

I got an aquarium, sump and stand yesterday (will post up separate thread about it and related questions) and got a bunch of equipment thrown in. Tank is 4x2x2. Thing is, I have no idea if any of it is useful, or if I should try to sell it for dirt cheap, or just dispose of it. Would be great to get some feedback.

Skimmer 1: Remora Aqua C

Skimmer 2: Aquarium Systems SeaClone 150

Pump 1: Holin HL-1000F (will most likely use this one to pump water out after I am done with leak testing it) Any other uses though?

Pump 2: Danner Model 3 (this one looks to go with SeacClone 150 skimmer

Pump 3 and 4: Rio + 2500 and Rio 2500

Thanks for the help!

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 01:32 PM   #2
hkgar
Registered Member

Start rea
ding the stickies at the top of this forum and ask question if you do not understand something.. There is much to learn and go slow if you want to be reefing

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 01:40 PM   #3
cvrle1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Start rea
ding the stickies at the top of this forum and ask question if you do not understand something.. There is much to learn and go slow if you want to be reefing
Hello there, thanks for the info. I had a 33 gallon with 10 gallon sump FOWLR about 10 years ago, but had to tear it down when I moved. I decided to come back into the hobby after all this time, so am doing a lot of reading and catching up on what is new in the hobby.

I researched all the equipment that was thrown in with the tank last night, and by the looks of it, pumps are all low quality, and something I most likely will not be able to use for this tank/sump. Skimmers are same story. Previous owner had them both running at the same time in the sump, which while it could work, is not something I would want to do. I was hoping to get some ideas about above equipment, to see if it can be re-purposed in nay way and used in some capacity, or if I should just get rid of it (donate to someone who might be ale to use it)

Unread 09/17/2018, 01:59 PM   #4
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i would trash the skimmers, hang on to the pumps.

extra pumps are always good to have on hand for odd jobs like mixing up water, transferring water around, or misc QT/hospital tank work.

for a tank of the size you have now, you're going to want to get a good skimmer.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 03:28 PM   #5
cvrle1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
i would trash the skimmers, hang on to the pumps.

extra pumps are always good to have on hand for odd jobs like mixing up water, transferring water around, or misc QT/hospital tank work.

for a tank of the size you have now, you're going to want to get a good skimmer.
Thanks for the info. I will mix up some distilled vinegar and water and give pumps a good cleaning and wash. Get them all cleaned up for starters and go from there.

Unread 09/17/2018, 04:16 PM   #6
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Actually the aqua c remora is a decent skimmer for a HOB. Not made anymore to my knowledge but people still look for them for smaller tanks. Nowhere what you need for that one but you should be able to sell it. The mag 3 can run it but may need to be throttled down. They are suggested to be run with a cobalt maxi jet 1200

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 07:53 AM   #7
Rjukan
Day Dreamer

I agree with Crooked about the Aqua C. I had the same skimmer but the Urchin model which was a insump version. It was a great skimmer, I liked the quality so much that when I got back to the hobby this year after being away for about 8 years, I stayed with the manufacturer and got a used EV180.

You should be able to clean it up and sell it on a local forum for a decent price.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal Deep Blue cube, AquaC EV180, Kessil H80 fuge, A360WE TB
Rjukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 09:37 AM   #8
cvrle1
Registered Member

Thanks for that info Crooked and RJ. Will get going on that and see if anyone locally needs it.

I ran all the pumps through vinegar/water solution for 4 hours last night, and they all look 100x better. Nice and clean and functioning as they should.