Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/09/2012, 02:16 PM   #1901
nycreef
Registered Member

I just ordered 8 TIR Lenses for my tank. I'm replacing all 8 of my 400 watt MH's with 8 Radions. I'm sure I made the right move, no more heat, no more electric bill, no more chiller and best of all, I control my spectrum, timing, programs and upgradabilty. Anyone in the market for 6 month old MH's...lol

nycreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2012, 02:52 PM   #1902
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddonisreef View Post
what are these tri lens you talk about?
this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by david00061 View Post

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2012, 07:08 AM   #1903
david00061
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycreef View Post
I just ordered 8 TIR Lenses for my tank. I'm replacing all 8 of my 400 watt MH's with 8 Radions. I'm sure I made the right move, no more heat, no more electric bill, no more chiller and best of all, I control my spectrum, timing, programs and upgradabilty. Anyone in the market for 6 month old MH's...lol
Your going to love em. Keep us posted with coral updates

2 mp60's 4 mp40's, GEO 818 calcium reactor
SRO XP 8000 external skimmer
david00061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2012, 07:12 AM   #1904
david00061
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargomat View Post
David,

Do you have the TIR lenses? IF so, how do you like them? If not, are you planning on purchasing them?

I'm on the fence. I have a 90 with 2 lights and I plan on picking up a 3rd to go over my tank... Things are going well in my aquarium with the new lights and I'm not sure I want to make any changes. Some of my Acans and LPS died and bleeched with the lights as they are... not sure I need more power.

Thoughts?
I don't have these yet. I get my tank back next week.
I will get them for the front 6 lights. The back 6 I will probably get them and just turn down the intensity.

2 mp60's 4 mp40's, GEO 818 calcium reactor
SRO XP 8000 external skimmer
david00061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2012, 10:26 AM   #1905
nycreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david00061 View Post
Your going to love em. Keep us posted with coral updates
My system is only 8 months old but I'm having trouble keeping sps. I'm not sure if I'm burning them with the lights or not enough nutrients needed or that the system is too new to maintain sps yet. What I do know is that all sps being bought are under led's and not metal halides which could be my issue as well. Once these lights are in place I will give it another go. All other corals are growing rapidly.

nycreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 12:00 AM   #1906
ReeferInWI
Registered Member

Run Windows on a Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucanSam007 View Post
Yeah I was really hoping for the mac compatibility on this firmware update .
I believe you can run parallels, which allows you to essentially run a "windows" session like you run any program. (http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

or

WineBottler is also an option http://mac.appstorm.net/how-to/virtu...-wine-bottler/

ReeferInWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 12:28 PM   #1907
BigKahuna
Registered Member

I updated to the TIR lenses last night and they do seem to actually improve the penetration quite a bit while the spread looks like it might even be better too. The whole process is pretty easy but it took the better part of half an hour to do my two fixtures having to take them down and disassemble and reassemble both. You can see the new lenses on the right compared to the old style reflector on the left:

I decided to put a piece of white acrylic I had lying around on top of the tank and you can see the difference in the way the light outputs in photos with different exposures (not scientific or anything but I found it interesting nonetheless to see how the light is spread):

TIR on the right

Also another personal observation I made is the light seems a little more Halide-like wrt shimmer. The Radion always had good shimmer but the new one seems to produce more of those light-shafts, not sure of the proper terminology, that halides do. Halides produce those well defined light shafts that you can see from surface to sand and I think the new lenses play with the surface agitation much more so like a halide now IMHO.

150DD Starphire w/Herbie | 2xEcotech Radion Pro - articulated mount | MP40wES w/ Batt BB | Apex Neptune | SeaSwirl | Laguna MaxFlo 1500 w/manifold | Proflex Mod2 sump | modded SWC 160 cone | Avast ATO

Current Tank Info: Sheet PVC build http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2168214
BigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 12:49 PM   #1908
ScottB
Registered Member

@BigKahuna. What is your plan for light acclimating your tank with the new lenses? Just keep on with what you are doing, or back it down by the advertised 23% and ramp back up slowly?

Your non-scientific acrylic test convinced me to order mine a minute ago, now I need to plan.

Current Tank Info: 60g Solana XL - Mixed Reef
ScottB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 01:03 PM   #1909
BigKahuna
Registered Member

I decided to lower my intensity about 25% and see what happens and then raise maybe 5% a week or so. So far it looks a little brighter than before the TIR even at 25% less intensity usage.

150DD Starphire w/Herbie | 2xEcotech Radion Pro - articulated mount | MP40wES w/ Batt BB | Apex Neptune | SeaSwirl | Laguna MaxFlo 1500 w/manifold | Proflex Mod2 sump | modded SWC 160 cone | Avast ATO

Current Tank Info: Sheet PVC build http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2168214
Unread 08/14/2012, 01:05 PM   #1910
ScottB
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I decided to lower my intensity about 25% and see what happens and then raise maybe 5% a week or so. So far it looks a little brighter than before the TIR even at 25% less intensity usage.
That sounds reasonable to me. Was considering the same.

Unread 08/14/2012, 01:10 PM   #1911
BigKahuna
Registered Member

Just to be clear I lowered my intensity by 25% of my total intensity not just moving the slider 25% in the software; i.e. if my intensity was at 75% on the slider I lowered it about 25% which is around 19, not just a straight 25% on the slider.

Unread 08/14/2012, 01:15 PM   #1912
Antonbdp
Registered Member

Wish they would introduce Mac support and new software that support moon phases and the integration with GHL. Might just be time to trade the radions in for a light that actually support the basics......

Antonbdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 02:05 PM   #1913
BigKahuna
Registered Member

A couple of software features I mentioned before that would be nice would be a mirror curve option where you could set the ramp up and it would mirror it on the ramp down. Also it would be nice to have an "acclimator" where you could tell it the intensity starting and end points and specify that it take x# of weeks to get there. One or two % a day is probably better than 5% a week and the coral probably wouldn't even notice that way. Also it would be nice to have a master intensity slider that raises and lowers all points on the curves instead of having to change them individually etc.

Unread 08/14/2012, 05:43 PM   #1914
rickyh24
Registered Member

Can these things be too close to the water?? I'm thinking about switching out mt ATIs for 2 of these.

Attachment will show how I have my ATIs on my canopy. Could I just make some kind of bracket and sit the radions in the same way??? Fiance is not going to want wires hanging from the ceiling. Ceiling is very high in this room anyways. It seems they will be a lot closer to the water than some of the pics I am seeing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2926.jpg (42.8 KB, 50 views)
rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 06:51 PM   #1915
fishyguy7
Registered Member

They recommend a minimum of 8 inches above the water surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
Can these things be too close to the water?? I'm thinking about switching out mt ATIs for 2 of these.

Attachment will show how I have my ATIs on my canopy. Could I just make some kind of bracket and sit the radions in the same way??? Fiance is not going to want wires hanging from the ceiling. Ceiling is very high in this room anyways. It seems they will be a lot closer to the water than some of the pics I am seeing.

fishyguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 06:52 PM   #1916
rickyh24
Registered Member

Alright thanks. I'll have to figure out something.

Unread 08/14/2012, 07:32 PM   #1917
rickyh24
Registered Member

Actually just measured and those ATIs are pretty much 8 inches from the waters surface. So a simple bracket might work.

Unread 08/15/2012, 08:18 AM   #1918
Lucifa68
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I updated to the TIR lenses last night and they do seem to actually improve the penetration quite a bit while the spread looks like it might even be better too. The whole process is pretty easy but it took the better part of half an hour to do my two fixtures having to take them down and disassemble and reassemble both. You can see the new lenses on the right compared to the old style reflector on the left:

I decided to put a piece of white acrylic I had lying around on top of the tank and you can see the difference in the way the light outputs in photos with different exposures (not scientific or anything but I found it interesting nonetheless to see how the light is spread):

TIR on the right

Also another personal observation I made is the light seems a little more Halide-like wrt shimmer. The Radion always had good shimmer but the new one seems to produce more of those light-shafts, not sure of the proper terminology, that halides do. Halides produce those well defined light shafts that you can see from surface to sand and I think the new lenses play with the surface agitation much more so like a halide now IMHO.
i notice that the spread is more uniformed now with the tir lenses. thanks for the pics and update.

lucifa

Lucifa68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2012, 10:00 AM   #1919
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

Yea, the light from the TIRs looks like a single point source more than it did with the stock lenses.

AcroporAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2012, 08:04 AM   #1920
E.intheC
Registered Member

This is an excellent thread. Tons of great information here.

I have read about 20-25 pages (not consecutive, but random) so far, and have yet to see an answer to my (dumb) question.. To setup the Radions.. Do you need to have a computer connected, or can they be turned on and set to run on Ecotech created settings?

Unread 08/16/2012, 12:42 PM   #1921
BrklynArch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post
This is an excellent thread. Tons of great information here.

I have read about 20-25 pages (not consecutive, but random) so far, and have yet to see an answer to my (dumb) question.. To setup the Radions.. Do you need to have a computer connected, or can they be turned on and set to run on Ecotech created settings?
no you dont need a computer you can plug them right in and use the presets that come pre programmed however i dont think you can access any of the other features.

BrklynArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2012, 12:45 PM   #1922
ScottB
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrklynArch View Post
no you dont need a computer you can plug them right in and use the presets that come pre programmed however i dont think you can access any of the other features.
If I remember correctly, it comes out of the box in Basic mode. The is 12kk color (all colors @ 100%) and at 100% overall intensity. You can turn it on and off manually or plug it in to a timer. You don't get intensity ramps or color choice.

Unread 08/16/2012, 04:11 PM   #1923
E.intheC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrklynArch View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
If I remember correctly, it comes out of the box in Basic mode. The is 12kk color (all colors @ 100%) and at 100% overall intensity. You can turn it on and off manually or plug it in to a timer. You don't get intensity ramps or color choice.
Thanks! So it looks like you do need a computer to get the light going as I wont be able to run the light at full intensity.

ScottB... I see you have a 60 cube. How many Radions are you using?

Unread 08/16/2012, 04:34 PM   #1924
ScottB
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post

ScottB... I see you have a 60 cube. How many Radions are you using?
Just one. It does a great job, and I can't see a real need in my case for two. However, I get the sense that the new TIR lenses will fill in all the low light areas around my overflow. I have a set on order.

Unread 08/16/2012, 05:33 PM   #1925
E.intheC
Registered Member

That's awesome. I have a 60 cube as well, and really only have the budget for one. Glad to hear that it's working well for you. I'm sure the new lenses will be a nice improvement for you. They look great in the pics above.