Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Bryanmc1988
Registered Member

Is this epoxy reef safe?

I wanted to know if this product is a reef safe epoxy once fully cured that can be used for a reef tank. My sump has a hole and I’m trying to patch it up with epoxy and wanted to make a layer instead of welding a sheet of acrylic over the hole. Any thoughts?

Here is the product from Home Depot:

Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 11:08 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its probably ok but thats such an inferior method to patch a hole.. Don't do that..
Do it right..
Either plug the hole with a bulkhead and cap or solvent weld a piece of acrylic over the hole using Weld-on (Scigrip) 4

Unread 12/03/2018, 12:31 PM   #3
Bryanmc1988
Registered Member

It’s not a drilled hole. Bought a sump and it got shipped to me and was damaged. Looks like someone got to excited about their dolly and kicked it into the sump box and made a hole in the bottom of it. I patched the hole with white epoxy sculpting putty and wanted to fill the inside with about 1/4 to 1/2” of expoy resin besides an acrylic sheet. Reason is the putty sticks up slightly and welding an acrylic down might not give a full seal with a slight bump from the putty. My idea is that if I fill the whole inside base with the epoxy resin that it will level itself out even with the slight bump from the putty. I can’t get a replacement as the sump is disconnected and was a final sale. I took a discount on the sump instead and am trying to patch up this hole to look at lease decent and not a crappy half A job.

What is the downside of filling the base with epoxy? Long term? Will it adhesive to the acrylic good or will it lift?

Unread 12/03/2018, 02:25 PM   #4
steallife904
Registered Member

Couldn't have returned it? Or damage claim against mail service?

Patching would scare me. I would be afraid to gamble on something i wasn't sure was not reef safe. Maybe contact a tank builder or whoever built the sump to ask for advice.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 04:50 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Ok..gotcha..
I would not patch that with anything but acrylic solvent welded over it on the inside..
Epoxy may not grip/bond long term..

Unread 12/04/2018, 12:43 AM   #6
Bryanmc1988
Registered Member

Ok, I guess weld on acrylic would hold it for the long term?

Unread 12/04/2018, 05:42 AM   #7
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Ok..gotcha..
I would not patch that with anything but acrylic solvent welded over it on the inside..
Epoxy may not grip/bond long term..

Isn't this sump glass? Looks like glass in the pics, and acrylic wouldn't shatter into little pieces like you show.

Solvent welding acrylic to glass isn't going to work. What you would want to do is to silicone a larger then the hole piece of glass to the inside over the hole. This method has been done many times without failure to cover excess bulkhead holes, or small holes like you have there.

Best bet would be to use 2 pieces of glass, one on the inside, one on the outside, like a sandwich. Not sure if you can do that since the hole seems to be on the bottom to me.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 07:33 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Isn't this sump glass? Looks like glass in the pics, and acrylic wouldn't shatter into little pieces like you show.
Looks like smoked acrylic and the "hole" in the white piece could be a casting flaw (knit/weld line) from what I can see here anyways.

Unread 12/04/2018, 09:12 AM   #9
Bryanmc1988
Registered Member

it’s a acrylic sump. Glass would not made a hole. It would crack all the way or spider out of it was glass.

Unread 12/04/2018, 12:54 PM   #10
h20cooled
Premium Member

I've patched holes in acrylic sumps several times with just a small piece of acrylic and the acrylic glue, just put the patch on the side of the sump.

h20cooled is offline   Reply With Quote