Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/10/2006, 08:15 PM   #126
bkelley02
Premium Member

Well, if I really told you what I was feeling, the moderators would probably ban me from this site. They are still multiplying on me but I will be trying the interceptor treatment next week, so hopefully that will take care of them.

But the sad story of Brian continues..... One of my Streams was sent back to Roger at Tunze to repair and is on it's way back now. So I hit the feed button tonight to shut off the remaining stream and feed the fish. When the pump comes back on, or should I say was supposed to come back on, me and my fish were greeted by the piercing wail of the alarm on the controller. Come to find out, by new Calcium reactor must be working overtime as it has built up enough around the impeller to cause it to stop spinning. Oh did I mention that the feed pump for the calcium reactor also froze up today? Hmmm.... what am I leaving out? I'm sure there must be something? Oh yeah. I'm suddenly having a breakout of red slime. Might be contributed to the calcium reactor working overtime and releasing phosphates as well as overdosing my tank with calcium. I measure the calcium level last night and it was off the charts. Not a good few days.

Did I also mention that one of my Crocea's died? And the others look like they're suddenly on their way out too. If there was a crying emoticon, I'd be putting it here! I measured everything I have a test kit for and the ONLY thing out of whack is the calcium. Alk is a bit high, but not as high as it was. Good thing I'm glutton for punishment or I'd be ready to give up.

One good thing though Pat, the red bugs have absolutely NO interest in the Monti Caps. I'll be sure to be rid of them by time I'm ready to frag. That is if you'd still want one from my polluted tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Brian Kelley....how are you making out with your red bugs?

Unread 03/11/2006, 09:45 AM   #127
patsan
Premium Member

Wow Bri....sorry to hear about your troubles.
I don't have all that fancy equipment, and I guess maybe I'm lucky.
The only sps I really love are the monti caps..and no, I won't be afraid to get those beautiful frags from you.
I'm hoping Dennis' monti's grow nice too, so he'll be generous enough to frag for me!

How often do you test your water? With a calcium reactor, do you have to check more often?

Ya know, for some reason, I never press the food button to stop the Tunze when I feed. I should...and should also do it when I take pictures. I just never remember!

Is there a way you can soak the impeller in some vinegar to get all that calcium buildup off?

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 03/11/2006, 02:03 PM   #128
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

So here is the tank I have been looking at empty for the last 4 months. How I loathe you empty tank....

Fast forward a few months and finally I get a call from tbs! Woot!So I conned a friend into giving me a ride(he has a pickup). Then I told him it was to the airport hehe. Picked up the boxes from SW cargo. They were in excellent shape. Not beat up at all, though one of them had been inspected by the airlines! Got to make sure those TBS people aren't smuggling I guess =P
So I take them upstairs and prepare to start the unpacking process.

I took some pictures of the tank as I added things but they turned out to be way to murky to see anything so I decided to leave them out. These pictures are all from the next two days. I apologize for the quality, still learning how this whole photography thing. Thank again Pat for sending those learning DVD's =) Next day off I get I'm going to hit them hard.

My brittle star:

Some of the brown cup corals. They are all over. This one actually ended up getting knocked off the rock and I found it in the bottom of the bag. Seems to be doing well.

Full tank:

Closer shot of the left side. That rock has since been turned around slightly and moved back 3 or 4 inches. The clearish sponge on the top ended up getting damaged by the flow from the power head =\. Live and learn I guess =(

Right Side:

Various sponge shots:

What are those little yellow things? They are all over. Are they some sort of sponge?

One of the enemies:
Damn hairy crabs! I've found a couple of them now living in various holes. One of them is probably a good inch in a half from leg tip to leg tip. Do these guys molt? I've found a few dead crabs, but I couldn't tell if it was actually a dead crab, or if it was just a molt. I've found two now. Don't know if I should be alarmed that things are dying, or if they are just the shells. Nothing else has died really(except for the sponge which I put in too high of flow) so I am more inclined to belive that they were just molts. Anyways heres a shot of one of the buggers in his hole:

Well back to work.. Ill try to post a few more pics later.

Unread 03/11/2006, 03:00 PM   #129
Nano_reeflover
Reefer

Hey another Seattle reefer! I'll be following your tanks progress.

-Travis

Unread 03/11/2006, 05:03 PM   #130
patsan
Premium Member

Jesse...looks good!

What is all the fuzzers all over it?

Those yellow things are tunicates. I believe the pinkish looking sponges is too. They're really nice looking, but won't last. So get lots of pictures and enjoy them while they're there.

Unread 03/11/2006, 06:07 PM   #131
krajacich
Premium Member

Looks great Jesse! Ditto what Pat said on the tunicates....I had a bunch on my rock when I first got it. They're really pretty colors so I was sad to see them go. Good luck getting all the gorillas out. Everytime I think I've got them all a new one appears....part of the challenge- crab hunting Keep the pics coming!

Current Tank Info: 72g bow reef tank with TBS package
Unread 03/11/2006, 06:31 PM   #132
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Should I wait for the cycle to finish before I start crab hunting? From what I understand I have to bait them, which would probably be bad for the cycle huh?

All the things sticking off the rock are wierd plants. Seem to be kind of dead. Hopefully te clean up crew will be able to take care of all that.

The tunicates are all going to die? I got pink, white, and bright orange ones! no way to save them? Can kind of see the orange one in the picture of the hairy crab.

Unread 03/11/2006, 07:03 PM   #133
maro1
Registered Member

Quote:
The tunicates are all going to die?

I have had some in my tank for a couple of years. They seem to do fine.

Mar

Current Tank Info: 300 Gal Fish and reef with Large Angels
Unread 03/11/2006, 07:04 PM   #134
patsan
Premium Member

You don't necessarily have to bait the crabs. If you can reach in there and just grab them, you can do it that way. Or you can get a claw and try to get them out.
Bob and Dennis spear them. Richard (TBS) says just smush them.

Sorry to say, but the tunicates won't last. You may have them for a few months, and they may disappear, and then you might see more come back, but in the long run, they won't last.

If you don't like all that leafy plant stuff, just pull off what you don't like .

Get more pictures for us. I've come to the conclusion that the camera does matter. Your pictures are one of the nicest "finally got part 1" pictures I've seen.

Unread 03/11/2006, 07:04 PM   #135
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maro1
I have had some in my tank for a couple of years. They seem to do fine.

Mar
Have pictures of them?

Unread 03/11/2006, 07:25 PM   #136
maro1
Registered Member

I will Take some and try to get them up in a bit here.

Mar

Current Tank Info: 300 Gal Fish and reef with Large Angels
Unread 03/11/2006, 07:50 PM   #137
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maro1
I will Take some and try to get them up in a bit here.
Mar
Sounds great!
I just took a few pics. I like the way the foxface came out in this one:

Unread 03/12/2006, 06:52 AM   #138
bkelley02
Premium Member

Pat,

I did soak the stream and the feed pump for th reactor in Vinegar/water and they are working fine now, just a hassle because it happened so quickly. I'd been checking the calc/alk every two weeks or so but I'm using a different media and bigger reactor now so I guess I need to pay closer attention.

That'll teach me!

Unread 03/12/2006, 05:07 PM   #139
krajacich
Premium Member

A few pics....

I thought I'd post a few pictures of my newest corals. I got these yesterday from Dr. Macs:

Torch Coral

Platygyra

Ricordea:

Unread 03/12/2006, 05:13 PM   #140
bobt2
Registered Member

pat, i,m home from nearc.it didn't seam to be a big turnout by my head count and very few vendors but i did buy a small acropora frag for $15.now if i could just figure out if its alive or not the speakers i saw were from good to blew me out of my shoes! calfo still has my head spinning with ideas i do see more tanks comming.i didn't get any raffle tickets cause you had to be there to win. dumb idea if you ask me.i would have bought some but didn't want to wait around. all in all, glad i went.

Unread 03/12/2006, 05:32 PM   #141
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter
Dennis,

I love your sponges in your tank! How long have you had those sponges on your lower left rock near the sand? Was that part1? I only have a few sponges left, although they are growing now that I have more phyto again.

Brian
Not really sure which ones you are talking about?

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 03/13/2006, 06:52 AM   #142
patsan
Premium Member

Danielle,
Nice pictures! What is the coral to the left of the ricordia?

Bob,
Glad to hear you enjoyed Nerac. It does stink about the raffles, but I guess they don't want to be left with the prizes if the person isn't there to take it, and/or have to worry about shipping things. I'm not a big Calfo fan, but I'm sure he does a nice presentation.
So how many new tanks are you going for? How large is your room?

Brian, Glad to hear you were able to get the calc off your equipment.

I was looking for the red flashlight to watch the tank on Saturday night, and couldn't find it...so I decided to just try and take some pictures into the dark tank. I was amazed at the foxface.

Look how shriveled up the hammer is in the dark:

Here is the brain and orange flower anemone too:

Unread 03/13/2006, 07:41 AM   #143
bobt2
Registered Member

actually pat, i'm thinking of getting into fragging for $. i have the room to get started and after hearing how much$ some people are making p/t i'm thinking of trying

Unread 03/13/2006, 11:36 AM   #144
krajacich
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Danielle,
Nice pictures! What is the coral to the left of the ricordia?
Thanks Pat. I'm not sure what that coral is. It's a frag I got from Reefscience when I ordered my monti frag. It's done quite well, lots of new growth but I still have no idea what kind it is

Your foxface looks really different....almost like a snow leopard, with all those spots. I've always been amazed at how much tanks change throughout the day

Unread 03/13/2006, 12:35 PM   #145
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Not really sure which ones you are talking about?
Dennis,

I circled the sponges I was asking about in yellow.

Jesse,

Nice looking rock and great camera work, keep the pictures coming as you discover new stuff

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 03/13/2006, 12:40 PM   #146
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter
Dennis,

I circled the sponges I was asking about in yellow.

Those came on part 1. I think I got part 1 in May of last year.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 03/14/2006, 03:26 AM   #147
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

wierd crab

I was staring at my rocks last night when I noticed this little fellow. His body is slightly smaller then a pea in size. Its sort of got a yellowish body, but wierd textured legs. His claws appeared to be really small.

Unread 03/14/2006, 06:12 AM   #148
liverock
RC Sponsor

Crab

Decorator crab!

Unread 03/14/2006, 06:13 AM   #149
liverock
RC Sponsor

Chicken liver

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Those came on part 1. I think I got part 1 in May of last year.

Chicken liver sponges, doing well also!!

Unread 03/14/2006, 01:15 PM   #150
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Is the decorator crab a good crab? His claws werent black and he was really small so I assumed he was ok.
Found a few whelks last night =( but I caught a hairy crab so that made up for it a little.
I know that welks and hairy crabs are bad, but what do they attack?

Closed Thread