Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2018, 07:41 AM   #1
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

IM Nuvo or Waterbox or Red Sea

I am having a tough time picking my next setup. These are all nice options and I like certain aspects of each setup. I will share my pros and cons for each setup and please weigh in and help me make a decision. This is for the 70-75 gallon range.

IM Nuvo 75 INT with APS stand
Price $1500
Pros:
-Herbie overflow with 2 ermengency drains. This is by far the best overflow setup of the 3 manufactures.
-APS stand, my opinion the most sound stand of the three manufactures.
-Screen top cover.
-3 side are all low iron glass.
-I get to choose my sump

Cons:
-Manufacturer has some claims of cracking tanks on their nano setups.
-The larger setups have not been out on the market long
-No ATO setup

Waterbox 100.3
Price: $1750
Pros:
Large sump
Electronic ATO
All 3 sides are low iron glass

Cons:
No screen top

Red Sea Reefer 350
Price: $1700
Pros:
-Red Sea has a great reputation
-Out of all 3 manufactures this tank has been on the market the longest

Cons:
-Small sump
-front panned is low iron the sides are not

These are all great options and price is all pretty close. I am having a hard time not leaning toward the IM but Part of me is worried that the quality doesn’t meet the Red Sea. I need help lol

Indiana Reefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 07:50 AM   #2
kevin21
Registered Member

Have heard nothing but amazing things about waterbox. I was leaning towards IM, but the dimensions of waterbox were better for me and I was more happy with a the 3 foot long 50g tank. I am getting the 50.3 waterbox. Also believe you can buy a custom lid for it as well. No worries there. I heard of IM tanks cracking as well, especially on the AIO systems.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 08:05 AM   #3
Fourstars
Registered Member.

So I have the red sea, and one thing that disappoints me is you can't use standard bulkheads. they have a plate on the bottom and can only use their plumbing parts which are thin walled and crack over time. I think waterbox is the same. I'm looking at an SCA tank instead.

Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 09:01 AM   #4
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Thanks for all your feedback!

Unread 10/10/2018, 10:26 AM   #5
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

I thought all Red Sea tanks were low iron throughout the viewing panels?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Fish559
Registered Member

I have an IM Nuvo 20, and I've really enjoyed it. I know you didn't ask about that specific tank, but I can speak to the IM tanks as a whole. I've been very impressed with it!

I love the RS tanks, at least the ones I've seen in stores. I didn't know about the plumbing issues, though.

Fish559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 11:29 AM   #7
Cliving1
Registered Member

I have not had a red sea, but have had an IM and waterbox. To me the waterbox is leagues above IM. I have had an IM explode as well. The only issue I have with the waterbox is assembling the stand was not straightforward as the instructions were a joke. But if you have put together a few stands, you should have no problem. Also the fact that it comes all in one, except the return, was a bonus for me.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 11:37 AM   #8
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
I thought all Red Sea tanks were low iron throughout the viewing panels?
I believe that they are not. From the ones I have seen in person the side panels have a greener tint to them.

Unread 10/10/2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Thanks for all your replies. IM wasn’t even an option until I saw the plumbing and the APS stands. I am having a tough time knocking out Red Sea because I know they make a quality product. A quality product goes a long way for especially since this tank will be on a second floor. I am not concerned that a Red Sea or a Waterbox will bust a seam or crack, but I am a little concerned with IM based on some past stories from other hobbyists. I do like the sump and the plumbing for the Waterbox systems better than Red Sea. I see that Red Sea tanks have smaller sumps which isn’t a deal breaker, but having a refugium in the sump is not a option if I don’t want to make modifications to the ATO reservoir.
Buying a sump would be nice but buying a nice sump is going to cost more than $200-$250 if I don’t build it myself.

If money wasn’t an option I would end up with an Elos. But IMHO I don’t think the quality is that much higher than Red Sea.

I guess the IM is sexier but the Waterbox and the Red Sea are proven

Unread 10/10/2018, 04:28 PM   #10
Cliving1
Registered Member

The best thing you could do (if not done already) is see them in person. You will have a better feel for the tank that way.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 04:34 PM   #11
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
The best thing you could do (if not done already) is see them in person. You will have a better feel for the tank that way.
I 100% agree. I have seen the Red Sea and the Waterbox and person and I honestly thought they both looked great! I don’t know if I will be able to see the IM in person. A lot of my local fish stores don’t carry the larger IM tanks

Unread 10/10/2018, 08:28 PM   #12
Joe0813
Registered Member

My wife loves the redsea 170 she has. only thing she doesn't like is how small the top off container is

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 09:14 PM   #13
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

I wish one of these manufacturers were in the USA.
That would make my decision really easy. I will more than likely go with the tank that my local fish store carries so I can pick it up at a store as apposed to having one shipped. SO that pretty much leaves me with Red Sea or Waterbox for now.

Unread 10/11/2018, 09:12 PM   #14
Joe0813
Registered Member

best bet is just go stare at them both and just go over it top to bottom and pick out things you like better between the two

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2018, 07:40 AM   #15
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
best bet is just go stare at them both and just go over it top to bottom and pick out things you like better between the two
This what I’ll probably end up doing

Unread 10/16/2018, 03:19 PM   #16
kevin.st
Registered Member

I have a red sea max and I won't go this route again because I have replaced so much of the original setup.

kevin.st is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 12:09 PM   #17
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.st View Post
I have a red sea max and I won't go this route again because I have replaced so much of the original setup.
What have you replaced?

Unread 10/17/2018, 01:11 PM   #18
Justintegra
Registered Member

i live in the South Bend area and unfortunately there is NOWHERE around here that I can go see all of these tanks setup. I'm debating between the exact same brands for my next big tank next year (48 or 60 inch)

Justintegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 03:17 PM   #19
kevin.st
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Reefin View Post
What have you replaced?
To be clear, my tank is the older version with T5's instead of Hydra's.

I have replaced return pump, skimmer, lights, removed the built in powerheads and added 2 mp40's. That's at least $2k right there.

I wish I would have just pieced together my own setup.

Unread 10/17/2018, 03:18 PM   #20
kevin.st
Registered Member

I also scratched the S out of the glass with a flipper. So, maybe I am still bothered by that. haha.

Unread 10/17/2018, 04:20 PM   #21
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.st View Post
To be clear, my tank is the older version with T5's instead of Hydra's.

I have replaced return pump, skimmer, lights, removed the built in powerheads and added 2 mp40's. That's at least $2k right there.

I wish I would have just pieced together my own setup.
That stinks!
Well the reefer series only includes:
Tank
Sump
Stand
ATO

The Red Sea like has come a long way imho

Unread 10/17/2018, 04:21 PM   #22
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintegra View Post
i live in the South Bend area and unfortunately there is NOWHERE around here that I can go see all of these tanks setup. I'm debating between the exact same brands for my next big tank next year (48 or 60 inch)
If you are willing to drive a couple of hours go the Ark in Merrillville, IN. They have Waterbox and Red Sea

Unread 10/17/2018, 05:52 PM   #23
Justintegra
Registered Member

Yea, I make it to the ark every 2 months or so to get something or the other. I haven't seen water box, but they only seem to ever have one red sea set up, and it's usually the 250 or if you are lucky, the 350. I'd like to see a 525xl, for instance.

Justintegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 06:26 PM   #24
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintegra View Post
Yea, I make it to the ark every 2 months or so to get something or the other. I haven't seen water box, but they only seem to ever have one red sea set up, and it's usually the 250 or if you are lucky, the 350. I'd like to see a 525xl, for instance.
Hmm. I have seen Waterbox there before. The largest setup I saw there was a 350.

I am actually considering a 250 now. I didn’t realize the 350 was 4 ft long. I’ll have to check the wall I am putting this setup on, but I believe 3’ will fit better. Plus the 250 is $400 cheaper than the Waterbox 100.3, and I don’t think the extra 14 gallons is worth that.

So I am leaning towards the Red Sea 250 or 350 at the moment. I would like to consider the IM but I think the Red Sea and Waterbox are a notch above for quality

Unread 10/18/2018, 05:26 AM   #25
Szar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Reefin View Post
So I am leaning towards the Red Sea 250 or 350 at the moment. I would like to consider the IM but I think the Red Sea and Waterbox are a notch above for quality
Go with the biggest option you can physically squeeze in, i'm kicking me self in the butt for not going for the 450 and settling for the 250.

Visually unless the wall is really short and the tank will takes the majority of it, it will look small. I'm really not liking the the 250s dimensions.

350 seems much nicer aesthetically to me. May sound silly, but take two large towels and fold em to more or less their animations and see what fits the wall better or lol (iv done it) cut out dimension in a piece of paper and use your cell flashlight to project the size of the tank onto the wall.

Szar is offline   Reply With Quote