Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2014, 06:02 PM   #101
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chema View Post
My reef is in the dining room and my equipment is almost noiseless. To me operate as advertised is not only that the pump runs for several years, but also that it runs as noiseless as it did the very first day. If it "squeaks and rattles like heck" that sounds to me as a failure in operation. The problem when you buy second hand is that most of the times you do not know whether the equipment has been abused or not and how much operational time it accumulates. I have checked several e-bay offers for used masterflex pumps but I do not remember seeing indication of the total number of hours the pumps had been used and the environmental conditions under which they had been used.
He was referring to his older brushed unit, with 45,000 hours of use from him, plus unknown time and abuse from the previous owner.

I am sure his digital drive unit is silent, as was mine. He actually sourced the one I had, and it was listed as new(and it was). If you press the seller on the pump, you should be able to find out info on it.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2014, 07:22 AM   #102
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
You need to determine where the squeak comes from. Usually it is the brushes.

Pull the pump head. Did the noise go away?
No, next step. Yes, replace the bearings in the pump head. Clean and re-grease rollers. The rollers should be greased with a penetrating grease (not wd40). Once the grease sprays onto the rollers and soaks in it thickens into actual grease. Use synthetic grease.
Pull the gearing. Did the noise go away?
No, next step. Yes, clean and re-grease the gear set. Use synthetic grease.
Replace the brushes.
No, Next step. Yes, crack a beer.
Motor bearings probably need service. Take to motor repair shop or put up with the squeaking. I've got one that looks like it was removed from a trash dump, screams like hell but has been working like that for at least 3 or 4 years 24/7 so I wouldn't worry too much in regards to the pump being faulty.

If you want silent you are better off forking over the cash for a brushless unit.

Any chance you have access to a basic diagram for masterflex pump internals? I've pulled at the pump head with no noise change. To continue down your checklist will require me to take off the pump cover.

Fwiw, the noise seems to be localized towards the back of the pump. As of now my "fix" has been turning the pump speed down considerably, then back up - which usually makes it tolerable for up to 7 days. Also, the pump is a 7520-25 with quick load head.

Unread 03/03/2014, 02:50 PM   #103
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Use a thick synthetic grease for the gearsets.

Chema, the pump with 45,000 hours that is brushless is silent. Pure silent. That is why in the very first post I recommend them specifically. People buy all sorts of pumps based on their budget. If you purchase a pump with brushes know there is going to be noise. Brushes squeak, these are not fan motors. The pump that makes all sorts of noise is old. I doubt there are many people out there who have electronics in service at that age on a saltwater aquarium. In the end it still functions and I could rebuild it if I wanted but the rebuild would cost more then I have in it ($150 5 years ago). Heck the head alone goes used for $100 these days and that is still in like new condition...

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2014, 02:56 PM   #104
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
Any chance you have access to a basic diagram for masterflex pump internals? I've pulled at the pump head with no noise change. To continue down your checklist will require me to take off the pump cover.

Fwiw, the noise seems to be localized towards the back of the pump. As of now my "fix" has been turning the pump speed down considerably, then back up - which usually makes it tolerable for up to 7 days. Also, the pump is a 7520-25 with quick load head.

Sorry I don't but it sounds like its brush related. Have you replaced the brushes? Even brushes that appear non worn can be worn.

Unread 03/04/2014, 12:19 PM   #105
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
Sorry I don't but it sounds like its brush related. Have you replaced the brushes? Even brushes that appear non worn can be worn.
I have not replaced the brushes, but will. I emailed coleparmer to make sure I'd get the correct parts. I just want to share this for other users to see, coleparmer has excellent customer service!

"The 07520-25 will require the brushes that are available as catalog number 07520-04. This is sold as set of 2, one for each side. You may also need the replacement caps as well that are available as catalog number 07520-03."

Both the brushes and caps shipped to my door is about $65. If this in fact works I will have spent <$200 for a used coleparmer masterflex pump with brand new brushes and caps!

Jose from coleparmer also attached the user manual for my specific pump, which will make parts replacement/maintenance MUCH easier for me!

Last edited by EvMiBo; 03/04/2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Formatting
EvMiBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2014, 03:54 PM   #106
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Awesome! Yes, they do have incredible customer service. One thing even though they are crazy expensive brand new... Once you have one of these drives (LS Masterflex *and this isn't in writing anywhere) I have seen up to 30% discount on new drives if they cannot repair your old one offered without even asking.

If you can do us a favor and take a pic of the new brushes along with some measurements that would be awesome!

Unread 03/04/2014, 10:49 PM   #107
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
If you can do us a favor and take a pic of the new brushes along with some measurements that would be awesome!
I will most definitely take some pictures and share here for everyone to see once the brushes are replaced. Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by taking measurements. If you clarify I would be happy to share.

Unread 03/05/2014, 12:34 AM   #108
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Cool, thanks. I'd like to know the dimensions of the new brushes. Maybe take a few photos with them next to a ruler.

Unread 03/05/2014, 09:01 AM   #109
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
Cool, thanks. I'd like to know the dimensions of the new brushes. Maybe take a few photos with them next to a ruler.

You got it!

Unread 03/06/2014, 08:39 AM   #110
cvye
Reefer

7523-90 with EW-77800-62 head and 24 tubing

[IMG][/IMG]

AP Carbon Doser

My little piece of control-freak heaven.

cvye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2014, 10:50 AM   #111
CW from the OC
Registered Member

Very nice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvye View Post
7523-90 with EW-77800-62 head and 24 tubing

[IMG][/IMG]

AP Carbon Doser

My little piece of control-freak heaven.

C Dub

Current Tank Info: 210 LeeMar starfire reef (7x2x2), 100 gal SoCalCreations sump, Aquacontroller 3, Geo 618 fed by Cole Parmer peri pump, ATB Large Cone , Aquatinics Constellation T5, 4 Vortecs with wireless controllers, Eheim 1262 return on a SeaSwirl
CW from the OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2014, 10:32 PM   #112
zachts
Registered Member

what's in the beaker on the mixing plate?

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2014, 07:21 AM   #113
cvye
Reefer

pH 7 buffer

cvye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2014, 02:29 PM   #114
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Very nice!

Unread 03/12/2014, 04:05 PM   #115
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

no more squeaking!

Here's a little slideshow of the brush and cap replacement

you should be able to tell which ones are new and which ones are older. it may be hard to see from the images but the older brushes were about 1/16 - 1/32" shorter than the new ones (I'm assuming from wear). if you have any questions let me know. also, I had them in order before but the slideshow seems to have mixed them up.

no more squeaking!!

Unread 03/12/2014, 04:49 PM   #116
tkeracer619
Registered Member

That's great! I wonder if they move around more in their holders as they age and that is where the squeaking comes from more so then the wear surface. They are made of graphite afaik. I wonder if there are different grades or harnesses. Maybe a quieter brush that wears out faster?

Unread 03/12/2014, 10:14 PM   #117
zachts
Registered Member

I have only ever replaced brushes on a router but I would expect that as they ware out things move around a bit more and will make more noise. At least that's the case on my router. Much quieter after new brushes.

I couldn't tell much difference between old and new visually but the spring I imagine wears out and affects how it works.

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2014, 10:03 PM   #118
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

I spoke with Jose from Cole Parmer regarding the issue:

The brushes as they wear become uneven. This causes shaking and excessive noise as the motor is running. If one is slightly more worn than the other it could account for the issue. This is why it is always best to replace both at the same time.

Unread 03/14/2014, 12:38 PM   #119
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Excellent information. Never hesitate to call CP if you need assistance. They have very helpful support!

I once threw them for a loop and the guy spent 30 minutes researching the question I had before calling me back with a very detailed answer. He even tracked down the original invoice (10 years prior) for the pumps I had a question about so he could see why they had custom model numbers. If that isn't CS I don't know what is.

Unread 03/16/2014, 08:56 AM   #120
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
Excellent information. Never hesitate to call CP if you need assistance. They have very helpful support!

I once threw them for a loop and the guy spent 30 minutes researching the question I had before calling me back with a very detailed answer. He even tracked down the original invoice (10 years prior) for the pumps I had a question about so he could see why they had custom model numbers. If that isn't CS I don't know what is.

For me, there's no doubt that their customer service is above and beyond. Furthermore, for the most part, they've deigned their products extremely well and allow the customer to do most of maintenance when needed. Even then, if the issue is past brush replacement, drive kits etc, you can send it in for one of their techs to fix. Anyways, I guess I'm preaching to the choir here. These pumps are the real deal!

Unread 03/16/2014, 09:48 AM   #121
tkeracer619
Registered Member

If you look internally on the controller most of it is serviceable as well by an electronic repair shop. CP will service them up to the point when they no longer have the proprietary components. If something simple fails like a capacitor it can be fixed by an electronic repair shop or possibly DIY with soldering skills. Beyond that it is often best to just look at a surplus replacement part.

I run my pumps on an active filtering true sine wave UPS. I have had one out of 10 or so controllers go bad. It did so out of the box and was likely shipping related so I think they are pretty durable but I use the UPS as a precaution. When the sprinkler installers ran over the 230v improperly wired rv hookup at my last place it (the last one) saved my controller, my cp pumps, and my vortechs. My microwave, an old computer were killed.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 03/16/2014 at 09:57 AM.
Unread 03/16/2014, 12:43 PM   #122
Haksar
Registered Member

I am using 7523-40 on a geo reactor and I am unable to use it to pull the water,moreover the reactor is building up a lot of bubbles when I opted the feeding method via the persitallic pump.I tried all options of switching off the co2 to purge the gas and also by switching off the recirculating pump but I get a lot of bubbles inside the reactor.I am dosing 60ml/min DPM and 60 BPM with a steady ALK reading of 8.5

Please advise if I am getting the bubbles in the reactor due to the low feeding mode of a peristallic pump and also how do I pull water from the reactor inside of the push method.

Unread 03/16/2014, 03:39 PM   #123
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksar View Post
I am using 7523-40 on a geo reactor and I am unable to use it to pull the water
Then you have an air leak somewhere. If you turn off the gas and get air bubbles inside the reactor you have a leak in your plumbing or reactor.

If you put this pump on the output of the reactor it will suck the effluent through like we have discussed before. Please post pictures.

Unread 03/17/2014, 12:32 PM   #124
Haksar
Registered Member

Actually I uses a maxi jet pump and purged all the gas and also ran the peri pump at 600ml/min and this removed the gas completely from the reactor with no bubbles at all.However as soon as I reduced the feed to 100ml/min on the per pump the reactor started producing bubbles again.I will try to pull the water from the reactor with the per pump and see if it works or it pulls the water.At least now I know the there is no gas build up with higher flow and will have to test run the peri pump to see if it's producing bubbles at lower flow.

Unread 03/17/2014, 01:40 PM   #125
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksar View Post
Actually I uses a maxi jet pump and purged all the gas and also ran the peri pump at 600ml/min and this removed the gas completely from the reactor with no bubbles at all.However as soon as I reduced the feed to 100ml/min on the per pump the reactor started producing bubbles again.I will try to pull the water from the reactor with the per pump and see if it works or it pulls the water.At least now I know the there is no gas build up with higher flow and will have to test run the peri pump to see if it's producing bubbles at lower flow.
When you reduce the outflow you typically will need to reduce the the bubble rate and/or the bubble pressure. Do you monitor the ph of the effluent in the reactor? Changing your outflow from 600 to 100 would significantly lower the ph of the reactor water

Not reducing the bubble rate will cause the build up of unused gas.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote