Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/25/2017, 09:30 PM   #126
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Isn't amazing how things have changed in almost a decade. Almost all of the posts on the first page say dry is the way to go, yet with all of the subsequent issues with a year or two of turf algae, high phosphates and tub after tub of GFO, it is easier now than ever to convince folks that dry rock is no bargain and will cost folks more in the long run. Plus, everybody has all the pests that they could ever want after the first frag plug gets into their tank.

Thanks for the trip back in time...

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 01:31 PM   #127
reefmutt
Registered Member

This thread just made me realize I need to go out and buy some good live rock to add to my system!
90% of my system was old dead live rock when I set it up..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 11:44 PM   #128
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

When first really got into SPS aquariums about 10 years ago I was lucky enough to start with some really nice live rock from an established aquarists breakdown. I had no idea what service I was doing myself by getting this rock. Anything SPS I added to that tank looked great and grew like crazy.

I've had my latest tank up for over 2 years now which was started with dry rock. I really enjoyed how easy it was to aquascape this rock with reef cement. I made really nice looking structures with it. To this day I don't see any kind of cool biodiversity/life on the rocks at night looking with a flashlight. I've had decent success with the rock but nothing like I had when I was a noob with the old established live rock. I'll be adding some live rock soon after I look it over in a quarantine tank.

tmantaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 01:12 AM   #129
Razorback reef
Registered Member

The costs of Air Freight is through the roof. Last time I checked it was like $5/kilo.

The solution to make live rock more affordable is to ship tons of it over on ships which sits in the boxes for weeks. The wholesalers quickly recure it and people think they are getting live. Hard to find good quality live rock anymore, but it is superior to using dry rock because of the detritivores which help to maintain water quality and zooplankton which feeds the corals.

Razorback reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 01:27 AM   #130
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
This thread just made me realize I need to go out and buy some good live rock to add to my system!
90% of my system was old dead live rock when I set it up..

You bet!!!
I replace my refugium live rock ( main tank is dead rock always) 30% every 3Q. It help to keep tank stay in honeymoon period with great bacteria variety.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 07:30 AM   #131
hottuna
Registered Member

DRY ROCK.....no detritus spewing from it...add 1 small piece of live to jumpstart everything

Unread 11/01/2018, 08:26 AM   #132
mrg02d
Registered Member

I began buying cycled rock from my LFS. It’s already colored up with coralline algea and no visible critters or algea on it. It costs a lot more, but it’s ready to go and a bargain compared to the other things we spend our money on. $150 worth of cycled rock and no cycling needed made perfect sense to me.

mrg02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 03:43 PM   #133
Piper27
I love bengals

If I could start over and get real actual live rock I wouldn't second guess myself.
I think a lot of people start with dry because they don't want pest algae and such issues, but later find out it's nearly impossible to keep it all out of the tank without a quarantine system. Plus other issues like dino happen much more often and much worse in tanks started with dry rock.
I also try and add new rocks to my tank every year and take out the nastiest ones, but I use dry rock for this, just cheaper even though you don't get the bacteria.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2018, 04:30 AM   #134
pdiehm
Registered Member

Dry Rock. Like Marco Rocks/Reef Cleaners Rock. I tried dry pukani and while it looks great, just didn't work for me. The first go round was all kinds of nutrients being leached out causing dino's, hair, cyano, never ending cycle.

This time, I went with reefcleaners, because 3 years ago, I set up my Biocube with Marco Rocks. It's covered in coralline, and I really don't do anything to the tank but change 10g of water every 2 weeks.

I'm also in no rush. I started my barebottom cycle on 10/7, and as of yesterday, we cannot process 1ppm ammonia in 24 hours...yet. We will, in time. I wanted no pests, no vermetid snails, nothing. When the time comes, I'll add in my pods, and let them get established. I'll add in my Cerith/Nerite and Trochus snails when there's a need. Probably by March or so, I'll add my Acropora that I have alive sitting in the 40 breeder.

There's no rush, and by taking my time, that dry rock, will become very live and very colorful.

Unread 06/27/2019, 09:13 PM   #135
navvet8992
Registered Member

Live rock no question. I’ve done tanks with dry and live and will never go dry again. Biodiversity is huge in reef tanks and you just can’t get that starting with dry rock.

navvet8992 is offline   Reply With Quote