Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/06/2020, 08:33 AM   #76
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ha ha, homespun! I love it. You're not the only one! It's gotta work first, right? THEN we'll see about pretty!

With your tinkering, I know it will gradually turn into a beautiful display. It sounds like you got closer today. Hopefully I'll have some shoal grass for you soon.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2020, 07:20 AM   #77
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I'm sure that you will make the fuge display worthy in no time. I was wondering, perhaps, would it be possible to set up a small nano tank for Samson to satisfy his requirements, like a 10g or so? Or, would that be too costly and too much work? If you did that, you could go all out on your new system without worry about its effect on Samson.

My oyster reef, yep, this time, going big...I should have it up and running totally by summer. As soon as our stay at home order is up, I'm going to take a week off work just to set it up.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2020, 09:34 AM   #78
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
I'm sure that you will make the fuge display worthy in no time. I was wondering, perhaps, would it be possible to set up a small nano tank for Samson to satisfy his requirements, like a 10g or so? Or, would that be too costly and too much work? If you did that, you could go all out on your new system without worry about its effect on Samson.

My oyster reef, yep, this time, going big...I should have it up and running totally by summer. As soon as our stay at home order is up, I'm going to take a week off work just to set it up.
I am really glad to hear how close the oyster reef is. I will definitely look forward to that. How big will this new and improved oyster reef be?

Yes, I wish I could keep Samson in a 10/20 gallon high dedicated seahorse tank but that would mean 5 gallon or so water changes every 3rd day or so and that is just more than I know that I will stick with long term. I even feel bad having him in this system and it was never the plan. However it is the compromise I can live with and Samson seems to be doing reasonably well.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2020, 09:14 AM   #79
Chasmodes
Registered Member

This oyster reef build is the original build that I never completed (shame on me). It's a 100g 3'x3'x18" tank with a 40g sump. I have almost everything that I need to complete the entire system along with a water changing station. I have everything that I need to get the tank up and running if I take some short cuts. It all depends on how much I can get done now while the stay at home order is in place. Anyway, I'm making progress on the overall plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
I even feel bad having him in this system and it was never the plan. However it is the compromise I can live with and Samson seems to be doing reasonably well.
That's cool. Maybe the more realistic grass bed environment will keep him happy.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 05/12/2020, 05:13 AM   #80
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
This oyster reef build is the original build that I never completed (shame on me). It's a 100g 3'x3'x18" tank with a 40g sump. I have almost everything that I need to complete the entire system along with a water changing station. I have everything that I need to get the tank up and running if I take some short cuts. It all depends on how much I can get done now while the stay at home order is in place. Anyway, I'm making progress on the overall plan.

That's cool. Maybe the more realistic grass bed environment will keep him happy.
Wow, this oyster reef will really be able to house a lot of creatures! Do you have a lot more oyster clusters to put in it or will this build have some rock/ dead coral skeletons or some other structure altogether to fill in some of the space. Am I correct in remembering the prior oyster biotope was a 20 gallon long?

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 05/12/2020, 07:47 AM   #81
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SGFA6k2XVkL1vvycA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RAvU44RsQrnZj3H68

Here is a quick dirty photo of the display tank and one of the fuge.
The lights were manually turned on so none of the coral were awake and even the fish were confused. I just figured that I had not taken one in a while.

Unread 05/14/2020, 07:03 AM   #82
Chasmodes
Registered Member

You're tanks look great! That fuge is going to be really fun to watch when it matures. It looks great now even.

Quote:
Wow, this oyster reef will really be able to house a lot of creatures! Do you have a lot more oyster clusters to put in it or will this build have some rock/ dead coral skeletons or some other structure altogether to fill in some of the space. Am I correct in remembering the prior oyster biotope was a 20 gallon long?
Regarding my oyster reef build, you are right, it will be able to support a lot of life. My 20g long had a lot of fish. I may add a few more though. I'd like to also add more dither fish, not just benthic ones. But, I'll be picky with selecting them. This 100g project has been ongoing for a long time, years, and I'm just now starting to see light the end of the tunnel on this build. The 20g long was just a temporary version, and contains only part of the actual reef that I built. I put the three of the smaller oyster cultches in the 20g long. I built a lot more than that. In the video below, you can see what my original vision was when I finished building the reef. It's setting on the tank stand, so you can get an idea of what it will look like in the tank. The stand is actually on it's side, but it's the same dimensions (3'x3'). The tank is 18" tall, and the reef is 17" tall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0d8HfyIGMg

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/14/2020, 04:35 PM   #83
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Regarding my oyster reef build, you are right, it will be able to support a lot of life. My 20g long had a lot of fish. I may add a few more though. I'd like to also add more dither fish, not just benthic ones. But, I'll be picky with selecting them. This 100g project has been ongoing for a long time, years, and I'm just now starting to see light the end of the tunnel on this build. The 20g long was just a temporary version, and contains only part of the actual reef that I built. I put the three of the smaller oyster cultches in the 20g long. I built a lot more than that. In the video below, you can see what my original vision was when I finished building the reef. It's setting on the tank stand, so you can get an idea of what it will look like in the tank. The stand is actually on it's side, but it's the same dimensions (3'x3'). The tank is 18" tall, and the reef is 17" tall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0d8HfyIGMg
Very cool Kevin. This build is going to be amazing. No wonder you are chomping at the bit to get it underway. I am chomping at the bit to see it up and running!

Unread 05/18/2020, 07:25 AM   #84
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Dawn! I'm chipping away at the huge workload ahead of me. I'm trying to accomplish one of two things each day...putting in my time. Basically, I have to modify my infrastructure to make everything work. It's actually forcing all of my family to make huge changes, and we're all in.

Any updates on your set up?

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/18/2020, 07:53 AM   #85
Chasmodes
Registered Member

By the way, I meant to ask you what type of lighting do you use on your fuge?

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/18/2020, 02:50 PM   #86
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
By the way, I meant to ask you what type of lighting do you use on your fuge?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DNbdv2qRD2adNyFz6
Here is a pic. Both are 12 W par 38 bulbs. One is a Tuna blue with very blue spectrum, the other is Coral Compulsion with about equal blue and white diodes. They both will grow stuff as I have used them for a while.

Unread 05/19/2020, 07:32 AM   #87
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DNbdv2qRD2adNyFz6
Here is a pic. Both are 12 W par 38 bulbs. One is a Tuna blue with very blue spectrum, the other is Coral Compulsion with about equal blue and white diodes. They both will grow stuff as I have used them for a while.
I'm thinking about what to do with my fuge. Do you recommend them? Where did you purchase them? Do you remember the brand?

Thanks. No hurry...I don't mean to pepper you with questions LOL.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/19/2020, 11:06 AM   #88
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm thinking about what to do with my fuge. Do you recommend them? Where did you purchase them? Do you remember the brand?

Thanks. No hurry...I don't mean to pepper you with questions LOL.
It's fine Kevin, I don't feel peppered with questions. The ability to ask about other's experiences is the beauty of these reef forums.

I am happy with the par 38 bulbs. They are inexpensive, low energy, low heat and effective. They are not beautiful or sleek however but that does not matter in my basement.

I purchased both online and do not remember where. The brand's are Tuna Blue and Coral Compulsion. They were around $25 each if I remember correctly.

I had bought an even cheaper par 38 bulb from China but it did not last long so I recommend staying away from those.

Unread 05/29/2020, 08:25 AM   #89
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Sorry, I thought that I responded...I must have typed it up and never hit the button. Thanks for the info Dawn, I appreciate it. I'll look for them for my sump. Do both brands do the same thing, or do you have both for different purposes?

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 06/16/2020, 05:52 PM   #90
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

How's it going with the High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef?

Unread 06/18/2020, 06:48 PM   #91
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
How's it going with the High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef?
Thanks for asking Michael. Things are going fine even though being busy outside has caused the tank to not get as much attention as it usually gets. I am keeping up with water changes but I have noticed that the water has a definite yellowish-ness to it. I suspect tannins so I probably should add some carbon. The caulerpa is growing great guns and I thinned it a few days ago. Other than that there is not much to report.

Unread 06/25/2020, 09:01 AM   #92
vlangel
Registered Member

I weeded the 30 gallon fuge and removed 2 large handfuls of caulerpa. I put it in a gallon zip loc bag while I was removing it. I decided when I finished to check and see if there was creatures in all that macro algae. As it turned out there was probably 7-8 bristle worms and probably 20 micro brittle stars. I gently removed each creature from the caulerpa and collected them in a cup so that they could be reintroduced into the display tank. I hate for anything to I advertantly die as a result of my maintenance.

I also made more water and did an 8 gallon water change. I am behind on water changes so I think I will do another this evening. I still had not got around to adding carbon but I should do that as well.

In general the tank system looks pretty good. I had some nuisance algae, ( Cyano or dinos) a few weeks ago (only in the fuge and a wee bit on a little of the sand of the display) but that appears to be righting itself. All I did wasa little manual removal and stirring up the sand on the very surface of the sand bed.

I have not lost any fish or coral in quite some time so that makes me happy. Also Samson seems to be doing pretty well in the fuge. He now has Sir Lancelot with him as the blenny accidently went over the overflow. Catching him would be an ordeal and he is a very mild mannered fish even though he is a venomous type. He has shown no aggression whatever and maybe Samson appreciates the company.

Unread 06/25/2020, 01:45 PM   #93
vlangel
Registered Member

I should never have said that I have not lost a creature in a long time as it seems to have jinxed me. I looked in the tank today when the light came on and my clam is very recessed in its shell and I am sure that Clam Chops is not long for this world. :-( Bummer, I don't think my water change did it as all the fish and Samson look fine. It may have had a pyramid snail but that would be quite a coincidence to happen just as I did a bigger than usual water change. I will check on some parameters to see if anything is glaring.

Unread 06/26/2020, 11:48 AM   #94
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I've had the same concerns with all the algae removal I've done lately. Worms, pods and micro brittle stars are frequent victims of my destructive maintenance activities. Our hands are like huge bulldozers in the tight confines of our aquariums.

That's cool Samson has a buddy now. Sorry to hear your clam is suffering. Could your seaweeds be outcompeting it for Nitrate? Just a thought. I've never tried a giant clam.

Unread 06/26/2020, 01:20 PM   #95
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I've had the same concerns with all the algae removal I've done lately. Worms, pods and micro brittle stars are frequent victims of my destructive maintenance activities. Our hands are like huge bulldozers in the tight confines of our aquariums.

That's cool Samson has a buddy now. Sorry to hear your clam is suffering. Could your seaweeds be outcompeting it for Nitrate? Just a thought. I've never tried a giant clam.
I had the very same thought about the clam being outcompete by the macro algae. I always had some but the caulerpa in the 30 gallon fuge is growing like mad so it probably is using a lot of nutrients. I need to test nitrates and phosphates just to see where they are at.
I have grandchildren thus week and next so testing will probably have to wait, LOL. Watching little ones was so much easier when I was a mom instead of a gammie!

Unread 07/14/2020, 07:49 AM   #96
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the clam. Did it make it? Other than that, sounds like your tank is doing well.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 07/16/2020, 01:52 PM   #97
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the clam. Did it make it? Other than that, sounds like your tank is doing well.
No, sadly Clam-chops did not make it. It was a very quick demise at least.

Yes, generally my tank is doing pretty well, although I have not been quite as attentive as I usually am. Summers are always a less intense time with my aquaria. I have a big garden and lots of mulching, pruning and other outside work to keep me busy.

Since the macros are getting well established in the fuge, that is doing a lot of the heavy lifting for me. I do make an effort to feed heavy so the many hungry mouths get something.

Unread 07/17/2020, 12:55 PM   #98
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sa1JT75VBc7av8H19
Here is a quick and dirty(literally) pic of the right side of the tank. (Well, you would not want a pic of the 'wrong' side would you? LOL)

Unread 07/17/2020, 02:59 PM   #99
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That looks nice! Good use of vertical space too.

Unread 07/30/2020, 03:59 PM   #100
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gRhv5QjmaYvnG47f9
Another quick and dirty pic. I guess you all will have to wait till winter for a cleaner tank.