Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2020, 06:52 PM   #1
Hydrus
Registered Member

Any idea what these are?

Hello Does anyone know what these little guys are? They just recently started popping up around my green button polyps and sunny d polyps. Then I noticed some on the opposite end of my tank too, just one or two here and there. They definitely don't look like aiptasia and don't act like them either, however, I'm not sure if I should be concerned as they are growing and spreading and I never bought anything like them. I apologize for the quality of the picture. For some reason I can't seem to get good photos with my Reefbreeder Photon V2's, they put "bars" down any photos I take and its very noticeable in any video, its super weird.

Thank you so much!
Becca

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10P...L4CwZua34oHc59

Hydrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

I think it's another type of polyp, maybe green-star, which can be invasive. Wait for a second opinion.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2020, 07:52 PM   #3
Misled
RC Mod

Looks like a manjano to me. You don't want them in your tank.

Unread 03/30/2020, 09:53 PM   #4
Hydrus
Registered Member

Ugh, that figures. I looked up the pic of the Manjano and that's exactly what they look like. Sad. I just started buying frags from a local guy and they must have hitched a ride in. I'll start getting rid of them.

I appreciate the response!

Unread 03/31/2020, 11:47 AM   #5
mansorinc
Registered Member

Yep looks like manjano to me as well. Get the wand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mansorinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2020, 02:21 PM   #6
tnw50cal
Registered Member

Manjanos are nowhere near as bad as aiptasia.

tnw50cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2020, 07:55 PM   #7
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnw50cal View Post
Manjanos are nowhere near as bad as aiptasia.
They sure can be!

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2020, 05:09 PM   #8
lbannie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrus View Post
Hello Does anyone know what these little guys are? They just recently started popping up around my green button polyps and sunny d polyps. Then I noticed some on the opposite end of my tank too, just one or two here and there. They definitely don't look like aiptasia and don't act like them either, however, I'm not sure if I should be concerned as they are growing and spreading and I never bought anything like them. I apologize for the quality of the picture. For some reason I can't seem to get good photos with my Reefbreeder Photon V2's, they put "bars" down any photos I take and its very noticeable in any video, its super weird.

Thank you so much!

Becca

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10P...L4CwZua34oHc59

Hey! Not to hijack your thread, but I just noticed you have the photon v2....I’m looking into this light right now. What do you think of it? How is the noise level of fans? Thanks so much!!

lbannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2020, 05:18 PM   #9
Hydrus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie View Post
Hey! Not to hijack your thread, but I just noticed you have the photon v2....I’m looking into this light right now. What do you think of it? How is the noise level of fans? Thanks so much!!

Hey there I love them. They are so bright I never run but a few channel at 50% for just a couple hours and the rest of the channels/colors at various other levels thru the day so they never get hot enough to kick on since I've had them. I take it down for cleaning and use canned air to blow out the fans which make them turn and they seem like they would be quiet. Similar to computer fans.

That is the same with other brands I have on other tanks. They are so bright I never run them too high for risk of bleaching my corals/sps. Ive had them for 3 years now and they are just as great as when I got them.

My only complaint is you have to use the included remote to set up and make changes. So whenever I add stuff or need to make adjustments I have to charge the remote back up (I dies due to inactivity lol). But that's minor, I should just remember to toss it on the charger before I leave to the LFS or order my stuff.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Unread 04/13/2020, 03:52 PM   #10
Four drachma
Registered Member

I got rid of a lot of majano anemones a few years back. They reproduce quickly, and when small they’re hard to see and will hide all over the rock. Let me know if you’re having difficulty killing them and I’ll tell you how I got rid of them.

Four drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2020, 04:48 PM   #11
lbannie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrus View Post
Hey there I love them. They are so bright I never run but a few channel at 50% for just a couple hours and the rest of the channels/colors at various other levels thru the day so they never get hot enough to kick on since I've had them. I take it down for cleaning and use canned air to blow out the fans which make them turn and they seem like they would be quiet. Similar to computer fans.

That is the same with other brands I have on other tanks. They are so bright I never run them too high for risk of bleaching my corals/sps. Ive had them for 3 years now and they are just as great as when I got them.

My only complaint is you have to use the included remote to set up and make changes. So whenever I add stuff or need to make adjustments I have to charge the remote back up (I dies due to inactivity lol). But that's minor, I should just remember to toss it on the charger before I leave to the LFS or order my stuff.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thank you! Nice to hear a review from a real person. Hopefully I can fix my current led, but if not I think I’m going for the photon! Have to decide if the 48 or 50 would be better on my 90 gallon (48x18)

lbannie is offline   Reply With Quote