Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2019, 05:26 PM   #1
davidwillis
Registered Member

180 gallon stocking suggestions

I am thinking about setting up something around 180 gallons, with fish only.

I don't want any fish that are difficult to keep alive, but want the tank to look nice, with one or two really interesting fish. I was originally wanting to get a trigger and a puffer, but all the Triggers would like are too aggressive.

So now I am thinking a puffer (Canthigaster leoparda), a dwarf angel, a butterfly, and maybe a tang.

I would also like some small schooling fish...

Anyway, I am looking for some ideas.

Thanks!

davidwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2019, 01:03 PM   #2
davidwillis
Registered Member

So I am surprised I am not getting many replies. Here are my thoughts:

Auriga Butterflyfish
puffer (Canthigaster leoparda)
dwarf angel (flame angel, coral beauty or Cherub)
2- clownfish (ocellaris)
5 Blue Reef Chromis
5 Dispar Anthias

I am worried about the Chromis, but I need to add some blue color, especially if I go with the flame angel.

Unread 04/19/2019, 07:26 PM   #3
mike61289
Registered Member

You're leaving yourself plenty of space to add more fish. That's a good thing!

Your list looks good. I feel you have many small fish that might get lost in the big space. In a tank that size, you might be able to try multiple dwarf angels, more chromis, and more anthias.

I recommend a yellow canary wrasse. It'll add a gorgeous bright yellow to the tank and is easy to keep. It just needs a deeper sandbed to bury itself at night. If you're willing to get a tang, the tomini is on the more peaceful side and stays smaller.

Any other ideas that you want to bounce off?

Unread 04/20/2019, 08:06 AM   #4
davidwillis
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback!

How many dwarf angels do you think I could keep together in a tank that size? Do you think all 3 of them? I have never had a tank large enough for more than one.

Also do you think I could put in some Blue Sapphire Damselfish, or is that just asking for trouble.

I would love a tang. Back in the day I had a yellow, blue, and sailfin in a 55gallon. They all did great, and luckily I sold them before they got too big. The fish store told me they would be fine in a 55 gallon, and didn't tell me they grew to over 1 foot. I will look into the tomini

Unread 04/20/2019, 10:50 AM   #5
mike61289
Registered Member

You might be able to add all 3 angels if you add them at the same time and if there is plenty of rockwork.

The damsels might get feisty. I'll let someone else chime in on that because I don't know.

A yellow tang could work in a tank this size too. The hippo and sailfins would still get a bit big. The tomini is the most peaceful I have ever kept personally.

Unread 04/21/2019, 12:48 AM   #6
davidwillis
Registered Member

Thanks.

I think I will just go with two angels (no use pushing it with 3), and add the tomini tang.

I am still not sure on the damsels. I don't think they will be a problem with anything other than themselves, and the Blue Reef Chromis. Maybe the Dispar Anthias, I have never had an Anthias before so I have no idea... I have seen them get very territorial, I had 3 of them in a 30 gallon with a flame angel and clownfish. They chased each other around sometimes, but they left everything else alone.

Unread 04/21/2019, 08:10 AM   #7
davidwillis
Registered Member

Maybe the neon damsel may work better than the Blue Sapphire Damselfish. From what I read they get along better with each other. http://www.aquariumdomain.com/viewSp...php?id=196that

Unread 05/19/2019, 08:01 AM   #8
PurpleCarpet
Registered Member

Personally this is what I'd do and get them all as juveniles and watch the grow out.

Clown Trigger
Regal Angel
Blue Face Angel
3 Yellow Tangs
Naso Tang
Yellow Belly Dogface
Flame Angel
5 Blue Chromis- these may pick each other off till you only have two left, just a caveat.

PurpleCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2019, 02:27 PM   #9
davidwillis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCarpet View Post
Personally this is what I'd do and get them all as juveniles and watch the grow out.

Clown Trigger
Regal Angel
Blue Face Angel
3 Yellow Tangs
Naso Tang
Yellow Belly Dogface
Flame Angel
5 Blue Chromis- these may pick each other off till you only have two left, just a caveat.

I would love to have those fish in my tank, it would be amazing. How long do you think they could all stay in there before they outgrow the tank? Especially the Clown Trigger, he may start eating other fish when he gets older.

Unread 05/20/2019, 03:36 PM   #10
PurpleCarpet
Registered Member

If you got them all as juveniles, I'd say you would have at least three years with them if not more..... all depending on if the Clown Trigger goes rogue or not. If he doesn't go rogue you could in essence keep that stock just as is. Get a kicking protein skimmer and load up with live rock and have a sand bed about an inch or two.

Unread 05/20/2019, 04:22 PM   #11
PurpleCarpet
Registered Member

Forgot to mention feed New Life Spectrum exclusively as IMO that is the best quality food on the market and also run a high quality carbon such as reef spec, wouldn't hurt to run a bag of chemi pure elite as well.

Unread 05/20/2019, 05:29 PM   #12
PYRU
Registered Member

Id go for a bigger angel then supporting cast.

In a 210 I'm going to try an emperor, blue jaw trigger, kole tang, flame angel, & maybe some other smaller supporting cast members. I was thinking about trying a skunk cleaner shrimp as well.

Clowns get big fairly quick and you wont be able to get rid of it due to the rep. Butterfly's are finicky and require a fully mature tank to have a shot. Check out the poor man's Moorish idol. High fin bannerfish they have a butterfly/Moorish look but are more hardy.

My last 180 sw I had a porky puff, rabbit fish, humu trig, & a couple dwarfs angels. It worked great and the porky was the my favorite fish I ever had.

PYRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2019, 07:46 PM   #13
PurpleCarpet
Registered Member

Porcupine puffers are a sight to see.

Unread 05/21/2019, 09:37 AM   #14
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCarpet View Post

Clown Trigger
Regal Angel
Blue Face Angel
3 Yellow Tangs
Naso Tang
Yellow Belly Dogface
Flame Angel
Several of those outgrow a 180.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2019, 10:31 AM   #15
davidwillis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRU View Post
Id go for a bigger angel then supporting cast.

In a 210 I'm going to try an emperor, blue jaw trigger, kole tang, flame angel, & maybe some other smaller supporting cast members. I was thinking about trying a skunk cleaner shrimp as well.

Clowns get big fairly quick and you wont be able to get rid of it due to the rep. Butterfly's are finicky and require a fully mature tank to have a shot. Check out the poor man's Moorish idol. High fin bannerfish they have a butterfly/Moorish look but are more hardy.

My last 180 sw I had a porky puff, rabbit fish, humu trig, & a couple dwarfs angels. It worked great and the porky was the my favorite fish I ever had.

Nice, thanks for the suggestions! How did the humu trig do?

I also just noticed a Goldflake Angelfish.... Wow, but they are expensive.

Unread 05/21/2019, 01:58 PM   #16
davidwillis
Registered Member

looking more into the Schooling Bannerfish. This looks like an easy to take care of fish, but maybe it will get harassed by more aggressive fish.

How would this list work? Will the Schooling Bannerfish get harassed?

3 Schooling Bannerfish
Porcupine puffer, or other puffer
Auriga Butterflyfish
flame angel
Cherub angel
blue jaw trigger
8 neon damsels
2 clownfish

I really like the larger angels such as Regal Angel, Blue Face Angel, and emperor angel, however I want easy to take care of fish, and these seem a little delicate (especially the Regal), and the others will probably out grow my tank.

Unread 05/21/2019, 03:09 PM   #17
PYRU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwillis View Post
Nice, thanks for the suggestions! How did the humu trig do?

I also just noticed a Goldflake Angelfish.... Wow, but they are expensive.
Humu was good but it grew so freaking slow. I have no idea what a big one would act like.

Unread 05/21/2019, 03:17 PM   #18
PYRU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwillis View Post
looking more into the Schooling Bannerfish. This looks like an easy to take care of fish, but maybe it will get harassed by more aggressive fish.

How would this list work? Will the Schooling Bannerfish get harassed?

3 Schooling Bannerfish
Porcupine puffer, or other puffer
Auriga Butterflyfish
flame angel
Cherub angel
blue jaw trigger
8 neon damsels
2 clownfish

I really like the larger angels such as Regal Angel, Blue Face Angel, and emperor angel, however I want easy to take care of fish, and these seem a little delicate (especially the Regal), and the others will probably out grow my tank.
I can't comment on the damsels or cherub. It looks good though. You'll love the porky just make sure you can spot the difference in a holocanthus and hystrix. Hystrix get really big.

Unread 05/23/2019, 10:06 AM   #19
davidwillis
Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I plan on getting this tank setup in the fall (or possibly not until next year), so I have plenty of time to decide on fish, but like to get a plan ready.

Unread 05/07/2020, 10:29 PM   #20
davidwillis
Registered Member

It has taken longer than expected, but I have ordered my tank. It is also going to be a little bigger (60x36x36) So around 300 gallons.