Reef Central Online Community
Tampa Bay Saltwater

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/14/2018, 03:18 PM   #1
gsiegel
Registered Member

Add a female bellus to tank with a male

I have a 300 gallon mixed reef tank with a beautiful good size male bellus angel. I just saw a beautiful female that is a even larger - about 1 1/2 times the size. What is your thought on adding the larger female with the male that is already established in the tank?

300g mixed reef-BlueHippo/Midas&bicolorBenny/2FlameHawks/CoralBeauty/MagFoxFace/spotted rabbit/BlondNaso/2clowns/PurpleTang/chevron tang/2lyretails/wrasses-pintail,2flame,lineatus,radiant,pink margin,
gsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2018, 03:27 PM   #2
lolgranny
The DQ King

Having a large tank myself I would definitely pull the trigger on that. If she’s larger and healthy she shouldn’t have a problem. When I’ve done this with tangs I’ve made a acclimation box out of eggcrate and let them hangout in the “cage” until everyone checks one another out . Just what’s worked for me.

My regal and PB tang would go after anyone I introduced so doing this was a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2018, 04:40 PM   #3
gsiegel
Registered Member

Thx lolgranny...lol
I also have a chevron and purple tang that can be tempermental with new additions but not sure how they would be with a bellus that is similar size (of course different shape)

300g mixed reef-BlueHippo/Midas&bicolorBenny/2FlameHawks/CoralBeauty/MagFoxFace/spotted rabbit/BlondNaso/2clowns/PurpleTang/chevron tang/2lyretails/wrasses-pintail,2flame,lineatus,radiant,pink margin,
Old 09/14/2018, 05:05 PM   #4
albano
SALTWATER since '73

There is the chance that your smaller male will revert to female... Happened in my 450g DT

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2018, 07:35 PM   #5
gsiegel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
There is the chance that your smaller male will revert to female... Happened in my 450g DT
Did the larger female then revert to male? Thoughts about adding the larger female well after the smaller male, and along with other well established tangs including chevron and purple (can be jerks)?

Old 09/14/2018, 07:48 PM   #6
lolgranny
The DQ King

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsiegel View Post
Did the larger female then revert to male? Thoughts about adding the larger female well after the smaller male, and along with other well established tangs including chevron and purple (can be jerks)?

Is your chevron really a jerk? Mines full adult, largest in my tank and he’s a softy. Lol. I feel like he’s the dog in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2018, 08:51 PM   #7
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsiegel View Post
The female turned male (first time, not revert) , but I traded 'him' because I really am not impressed with the male Bellus. I put in a much bigger Zebra male which kept all the other Genicanthus Angels as females.

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is online now   Reply With Quote